Success stories by upping calories PLEAS

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Too much arguing about clean eating. Not enough pics. :laugh:

I started at 1500 calories back in October or November and in December switched to TDEE-25%.

I "aim" to eat around 1800, but as long as I'm below 2400 a day I don't really care (and there a *few* extreme blow outs...).

Junecomparisonfront_zpsab0edd32.jpg

Junecomparisonside_zps5372ae95.jpg

ETA: I do stronglifts 3x a week and do cardio twice a week.
  • benmullins
    Options
    What's happening is your body is getting used to your current intake all the while you're telling it that it needs to burn what it is getting. So what then happens is your body goes into survival mode and only burns enough to maintain the current status quo. By up'ing your caloric intake, you are telling your body to go ahead and eat up. There's plenty coming. After about 2 weeks, drop back down again. It tricks your body into working at the same pace until it realizes that it's getting less again. At that point, you have burned enough calories you need to get over that plateau.

It's kind of like tricking your muscles by doing different variations of exercises. Keep building your lean tight muscles and you'll burn calories by sitting around as muscle uses quite a few calories just to maintain...
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Bump for late!!
  • schuagah
    schuagah Posts: 15
    Options
    Bump
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What's happening is your body is getting used to your current intake all the while you're telling it that it needs to burn what it is getting. So what then happens is your body goes into survival mode and only burns enough to maintain the current status quo. By up'ing your caloric intake, you are telling your body to go ahead and eat up. There's plenty coming. After about 2 weeks, drop back down again. It tricks your body into working at the same pace until it realizes that it's getting less again. At that point, you have burned enough calories you need to get over that plateau.

It's kind of like tricking your muscles by doing different variations of exercises. Keep building your lean tight muscles and you'll burn calories by sitting around as muscle uses quite a few calories just to maintain...

I will try this
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Here ya go...... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1003122-12mos-46-pounds-lost-heavy-lifting-mom-5-8

I've been eating around 2,000 a day for the past 10 months and losing steadily. Then I started to maintain my weight when I cut out cardio. I've increased to 2,200 a day (often more, I ate 3000 yesterday) and am losing again. I should add that I have very little to lose, so every ounce of fat lost is a big deal.

Read the roadmap that is linked in the post above.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I agree! I don't understand how eating clean is common-sense defying? My common sense tends to steer me away from low-grade, genetically modified, over processed, sugar-laden food. Everyone deserves to treat themselves, but my hormones, skin, hair, and overall body are thanking me for finally starting to rid it of junk crap food.
  • amandaleigh_
    Options
    I started doing this (TDEE - 20%) in October 2012 at 165 pounds. I had already lost 70 pounds and was dancing around 165 for an entire year. I upped my calories from 1200 (what MFP originally had me set at) to 1700-1800. In May 2013 (7 months later) I hit 142 pounds. So, I lost 23 pounds by... EATING MORE!

Here's a progress photo!

2drzbb6.jpg

I can't recommend this enough for people who have hit walls and are still training hard and eating right. Try it out! I'm not saying what works for me will work for everyone, but I've had an awesome experience with it. It's less about dieting and more about fueling your workouts. At 165 pounds, I was able to workout a whole lot longer and a whole lot more intense than I did when I weighed more. So, in order to sustain such workouts, I needed more fuel to reap the benefits. It sort of makes sense when you think about it. Even when the idea of eating more scares you.
  • Jan3D
    Jan3D Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You look amazing - I love how your added muscle weight at 135 looks even better than the pic before. How tall are you and what is your training routine?
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Bump

loving it
  • shanalodder
    shanalodder Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Following
  • redda777
    redda777 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • HealthyLeeLee
    HealthyLeeLee Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have been at a standstill for about 3 weeks. I was on 1200 net with the occasional cheat weekend. I changed over to 1450, but I would purposely be 200 or so under for the day to make up for eating over at all on weekends.

I am now going to work on netting 1550 a day and not obsessing over minor cheat weekends. I will see how this works and update!
  • Britterboo22
    Britterboo22 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    this post makes me think i should up my calories but ive been losing at a slow regular pace.
    im set to 1200 cals per day and latley ive been doing two a days as far as working out goes.
    Some days ill eat back cals but not everyday.

some days i dont even reach 1200 cal goal cause im just not hungry...
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I just recently increased mine to 1700...still trying to eat all that, but will update later.
  • sparrow0716
    Options
    This is great -- I've been plateauing for about five months now, bouncing between 140 and 143 pretty consistently. I'm going to try upping my calories from 1200 to 1800 over the next two weeks to see what happens. Thanks for the success stories, all!
  • Marilyn2303
    Marilyn2303 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I follow Weight Watchers points. When I was losing, I was down to 26 points a day. To see how many calories I was taking in I started tracking on MFP; it was about 1200. I've since stopped going to WW meetings but still track with points and continue with MFP. After reaching my goal weight at WW my points were increased. I am taking in 30-32 points a day; some a little more and some less. This works out to about 1500 calories a day. Again some days slightly more, some less. I am losing a little but not a lot now. In total I've lost 78 lbs from first weigh in at WW to yesterday. Since trying to maintain, a month ago, I've lost 3 lbs. So I consider that pretty good. If I continue to lose(don't think I will, 3 in a month is really nothing) I will tweak my calories/points by another 100 calories or 2 points.
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I also started out 1200+ exercise calories and it wasn't near enough food & I lost not even 3 lbs in 6 wks. Now I've been at TDEE -20% (I only want to lose 5-7.5 lbs more) but I've noticed on my P90X rest weeks I lose more doing nothing and eating TDEE -20% so I suspect I'd do better with an extra 200 calories a day while working out
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat clean, you're body needs more calories. 1800 calories of processed low fat foods, cheeseburgers, and sugar is different than 1800 calories of fruits, veggies, and lean protein as far as fuel for your body.

You got that right...feel like I don't stop eating all day

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I always challenge the so-called "clean eaters" to peruse my diary. Clean eating is fine if you enjoy living by common-sense-defying strict rules and such. But I prefer to eat what I enjoy and watch my macros.

Eatting whole/clean foods tastes better and makes me perform better, so I have no desire to eat processed junk. No lie, my absoluted FAVORITE meal is fresh mixed fuit (berries, melon, papaya, pineapple, etc.), cultured cottage cheese mixed with almonds and pumpkin seeds ... SO YUMMY! I also like any kind of meat/fish with avocado and a pinch of salt and cracked pepper ... Simple yummy food makes me happy ... it also makes me happy to reach my fitness goals.

As I type this I'm eatting a some chicken (breast and thigh), a hard boiled egg, an avocado, and an arugala, cherry tomato, mushroom and red onion salad w/ chicken drippings as the dressing ... yums. (w/ salt and pepper of course, abit of chili flake and grated garlic as well)

EDIT: I'm 5'2, 101-103 lbs, and regularly eat between 1900-2300 calories ... That's a lot for a tiny girl.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!