Crystal Light? Water Tracking?

Options
erpar4
erpar4 Posts: 25 Member
Just wondering if anyone counts crystal light as water? I only track pure water but I drink crystal light frequently. A registered dietitian told me that "fluid is fluid and it will hydrate you". I'm not sure if this is true, but I feel like my kidneys would still have to filter out the crystal light from the water, sooooo it seems to be more like juice to me, even though there are no calories. I have no idea what I'm talking about though haha

What do you guys think? Is adding crystal light or MIO or Dasani drops to your water still count as water????

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I follow the rule, if I add water to it... then it's water.
    EG. I make a coffee from a nespresso machine, it's a shot of espresso. I add 250ml of water and milk. Therefore i log 1 cup of water.

If you're adding drops of something to water, then it's still water.
  • skymel14
    skymel14 Posts: 30
    Options
    I track water, Crystal Light and MIO. For me coffee would NOT constitute water.
  • erpar4
    erpar4 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys! I think I'll be tracking my crystal light now :)
  • hmhteacher
    hmhteacher Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I vote yes! I would get very little water a day if I only counted plain water. I'm a huge MiO fan!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    For me coffee would NOT constitute water.

What if I drank the espresso first, waited 10s then drank the water. You'd track the water then?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have yet to have anyone actually explain to me what water turns into once you add flavor - mine is still a wet liquid - so therefore I count it.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care, all water-based drinks count as water.

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.full
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've never really understood why some people don't count things like coffee or juice as water. That's sort of like saying yeah I ate a donut but it wasn't pure sugar so I ignore how much sugar was in it.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I know it's not "correct", but I track all liquid, including coffee, tea, crystal lite, diet pop, etc. There's days that I will only have 4-5 glasses of liquid, and days where I can have 20. It all depends on my body. I can't force myself to drink, even though I know I should.

As long as you're hydrated, that's what matters, IMHO.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I track water as water, tea as tea, coffee as coffee. I don't drink Crystal Light, but if I did, I would track it as Crystal Light. What's the point of tracking if you aren't going to do it accurately??
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I have yet to have anyone actually explain to me what water turns into once you add flavor - mine is still a wet liquid - so therefore I count it.
    tumblr_mbnr4h7Duw1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count the powdered crystal light so much but I think it's safe to count the water you add to it. If you buy it pre-mixed then you're in a quandary of how to account for what portion is liquid and what portion is solid, and you DO NOT want to get this wrong.
  • gracekelli
    gracekelli Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I count Crystal Light as water.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If only pure water counted as water, my kidneys would have shut down decades ago.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    anything with water molecules in it counts as water. no matter what else is mixed with it, if it has H2O, it counts.

any answer that is at odds with the above SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE answer is invalid and the person who posted that answer should immediately be put on ignore.

your body doesn't care how it gets those water molecules, just so long as it gets them. whether it's tap water, coffee, yogurt, celery, etc. it doesn't matter. the only thing that matters is whether or not you bother to log your water intake, and how accurately you can estimate the water content in your foods and all of your beverages.

/end thread

/seriously, this thread is ended.

/move along, there is nothing more to see here.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't track water at all. I'm a badass like that. *struts*
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I track water as water, tea as tea, coffee as coffee. I don't drink Crystal Light, but if I did, I would track it as Crystal Light. What's the point of tracking if you aren't going to do it accurately??

And what did you use to make your tea, coffee, and Crystal Light? What is the main and key ingredient that is the vast majority of the contents of your cup?

Be as particular and detailed as you feel like being, but at the core it's all water.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    What counts as water?

BINGO!!!

Okay, new game starts...

...now.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I track water as water, tea as tea, coffee as coffee. I don't drink Crystal Light, but if I did, I would track it as Crystal Light. What's the point of tracking water at all??

There. I fixed it for you.