Seriously struggling to eat enough with exercise calories

Options
124»

Replies

• hmhteacher
    hmhteacher Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not understand how anyone who ever gained enough weight to join MFP could have this problem. But really, just eat when you're hungry.

I personally have the same problem most days. And to answer your question, years making bad food choices, no portion control and a sedentary life style. Then you become so focused on making good food choices and eating proper portion sizes that your daily food choices steal clear of denser foods. Please keep in mind that in order to loose weight or to want to loose weight you have to make a life style change. Having said that the habits and choices that landed me on this sight are NOT the habits and choices that I live by today.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Well I say congrats on starting , this isn't my first time up and down the weight ladder , my plan with this is to start being aware of the foods I eat and count the calories . I have some active days and some not so active . I don't try and add extra calories for the more active days like swimming ect .. I feel as long as I am making progress and feel good about what I am doing that's great . if I hit a snag or need to change direction on what I am doing I will when the time comes . 1200 calories is the lowest I go on calories my goal is 1400 or so ...

I am not sure if anyone else is like this but it seems I always loose a lot the first few weeks then taper off to a more gradual weight loss .

Good luck and hang in there !!!!
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. You can check out the meals for suggestions. I promise it is all "healthy food". I am 5.3' and I have eaten over 2000 cals today. I feel ok, not too full.

As some ppl have said stop drinking fat-free or low-fat milk. 2 cups of full fat milk in the morning are a good start for increasing your calories right from breakfast.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of a problem like this from a normal person. Eat one extra peanut butter jelly sandwich with some milk. 400 cals right there
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of a problem like this from a normal person. Eat one extra peanut butter jelly sandwich with some milk. 400 cals right there

I don't think she has a problem at all as long as shes feeling good ,, eating and loosing weight I would not worry too much
  • jakesgirl05
    Options
    Hi :) Good for you caring enough about your health to speak up and ask questions! Despite judgment. If you do not want to drop more weight perhaps a power smoothie with healthy probiotics from full fat yogurt and bananas with protein powder added. I would definitely choose healthy calories and add in protein for myself. All calories are not created equal. So good for you not loading up on low quality calories! And, good for you for not going under a healthy weight :) You obviously care enough about your self to do what is best for your body individually. I think that is awesome! Hope it all gets figured out.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    yeah..hard to generate pity for you. drink olive oil? and also.. how did you get overweight if you eat like a bird naturally?

I hate it when people say things like that. I was overweight as a teenager and used to barely eat. I used to get a bread roll for my lunch, nothing else, eat maybe cereal for breakfast and a healthy dinner (my parents never got junk food for us. I didn't try a take-away until I was in my 2nd year of university!)

I ruined my metabolism by starving myself, and then I put on weight in my pregnancies because I ate normally and cut down on exercise.

What did you do to kick start your metabolism back , I deal with this same issue I'm OVER WEIGHT but I never ate until now, and I can't eat all those calories , in a way we are lucky but it is a struggle when your not only trying to lose weight but be healthy and that means healthy metabolism too .....I hear there are medications but is that necessary?? I eat all stated above and have lost 7 pound in the past week and a half just by eating better ( more) and excersice BUT I am on my second day of insanity and I need those extra calories !! But I feel like I'm having to totally stuff my face and become uncomfortable as well :(
    Now I am sensible! But some days I struggle to eat all my calories.

I agree with some previous advice - eat something like peanut butter or avocado or yoghurt, or a small handful of almonds.

The only way to "kickstart" or "reset" your metabolism is to eat at your TDEE for a period of time. A period long enough to that your weight levels out and you are no longer restricting food. From there, you would take a small deficit to lose any fat you may need to lose. Small deficit as in up to 500 calories per day off of your TDEE. It's the slow way to lose the weight but it's the healthy and correct way to do it.

I don't know if this is how it worked, but I did a lot of exercise but ate at 1200 calories for ages, but good foods, not junk, then I joined MFP and after reading all the road map threads and so on I started gradually increasing my calories. I do quite a lot of strength training too as a lot of the classes I do incorporate it. So I think that as long as I exercise a lot my metabolism increases, plus I have built muscle which is more effective at burning fat. I am also very active generally.

A lot of it is trial and error.

I personally don't eat my exercise calories unless I feel particularly hungry. I'm going through a bit of a low calorie phase at the moment as I seem to have lost my appetite a bit (some stressful things going on, plus warmer weather) but usually I eat around 1500 calories.