AVOCADOS~~!!!

Options

Replies

• majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never tried it, but never like the look of it. I guess I should try it one day, seems like it would be a good addition as long as it actually tastes nice.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never tried it, but never like the look of it. I guess I should try it one day, seems like it would be a good addition as long as it actually tastes nice.

Maybe it's an acquired taste ...... I like most things too .... avocado (eeeww)
  • CEThornton
    CEThornton Posts: 45
    Options
    I make pico de gallo/salsa with 1 small tomato, chopped red or green onion, 2 serrano peppers (hot), a good amount of cilantro, fresh lime juice, and 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, 1/4 avocado, approx 1/4 cup low sodium v-8 juice. I spray with Pam , 2-4 corn tortillas and broil till crispy in my toaster oven. Mix it all in a bowl. serve with broken tortillas and celery sticks. The fresh garlic is crazy healthy for you, fighting viruses and bacteria and a lot more. The cilantro has been proven to cleanse the blood of heavy metals like mercury. All ingredients are super healthy. If I have a high amount of calories left to consume due to a lot of exercise, I up the avocado to 1/2. The fat in the avocado helps to absorb nutrients. I eat this almost every day or other day as a kind of health "tonic".

that sounds like freaking amazing salsa
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I had 1/2 of one in my smoothie yesterday :) .... doing lower carb right now, so could not use orange juice, but saw a recipe that called for avocado, vanilla protein powder, orange juice and milk...and was supposed to taste like a creamsicle...so i modified and did protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, avocado and sugar free orange jello mix ( drink mix would have been better, but none on hand. lol....) was an experiement ;) but really did taste great! forgot avocado today and the smoothie is not nearly as good...it indeed adds something to it!
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    bump!
  • serenalesley
    serenalesley Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm totally BUMPing this for the recipes. Also, I use a quarter of an avocado at once, cube the rest and freeze each leftover quarter in its own little tub, in a ziplock bag. It defrosts in less than half an hour and isn't brown like it would be if it hadn't been frozen.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    My favorite sandwich is a Laughing Cow cheese wedge, 2 slices of tomato and half of a mashed or sliced avocado...grilled. MMMMM!
  • Pollart77
    Pollart77 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Love laughing cow cheese with avocado!
  • SydneyRenee2
    SydneyRenee2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What a great thread!! I love them so much I just slice them up and sprinkle a little pink himalayan sea salt on them. May be boring but so divine!! I'm going to have to try out some of these recipes though!!
  • khippster
    khippster Posts: 13
    Options
    LOVE Avocados!!
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I top lots of stuff with sliced avocados - salad, chicken breast with a little tomatillo salsa, sandwiches. I also put a half of one in my smoothie every morning - adds a thick, creamy texture.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Maybe it's an acquired taste ...... I like most things too .... avocado (eeeww)

I've met a Californian or two who didn't like them (even though they got to try them as young children). They do have a distinct texture, and texture is a huge factor for people's food likes and dislikes.

If anyone is struggling with the texture of avocados, smoothies might be the way to go. They combine well with fruit--try something like mango, banana, avocado, and milk or a mild-flavored juice such as peach.
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I eat avocados in everything, as often as possible. I'm totally in love with them. I want to marry an avocado and have little half-person half-avocado babies.

Here's a nice recipe for avocado quiche (I usually go light on the sour cream):
    http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipe/avocado-quiche

^^^ Funny....lol...I love avocados too...
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas!
  • mfunderburgh
    mfunderburgh Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • criscindymalosh
    Options
    I honestly don't know if somebody else posted this, I did not want to wade through all of the responses, but this recipe is AWESOME!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/grilled-salmon-with-sweet-corn-tomato-and-avocado-relish-and-grilled-asparagus-recipe/index.html
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Mashed avocado + Ro-Tel tomatoes = guacamole that's easy enough to make before the coffee's done. 1/4 recipe of that on toast will keep me going for hours, and if you leave the pit in the bowl and/or add a bit of lemon juice, the guac won't turn brown.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My favorite sandwich is a Laughing Cow cheese wedge, 2 slices of tomato and half of a mashed or sliced avocado...grilled. MMMMM!

GRILLED?! that sounds AMAZING!
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love avocado.... I have an avocado tree on my backyard, still waiting though they're not ready...

What I like the most is making ceviche and puting avocado cubes on it.

- Raw fish in cubes "cooked" in lemon juice (they're ready when the fish changes consistency, ie. salmon turns pink)
    - red onions sliced like "feathers"
    - red chili
    - yellow peppers
    - salt and pepper
    - avocado in cubes

all mixed in a bowl and on top of it I put some cilantro
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Also LOVE sushi with avocado, most of the rolls in my country have avocado, it's great