Can I ask a dumb question????

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I drink in moderation when I'm cutting. Be careful to make sure that you still get adequate nutrition and that you're not overdoing it but yes, you can drink while dieting.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I heard on a weight loss documentary that alcohol slows down fat burning by up to 70% and for an extended time. I think its probably true as I was at a festival last weekend and didn't eat much at all but was drinking alcohol all through the day. After 3 days like that the scale said I'd gained 4lbs and 1.5% body fat. The weight is coming off again quickly but my bf is not budging yet.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    There are no dumb questions.

Answers are an entirely different situation.
  • lgschofield
    Options
    I have been on and off the calorie counting program for years losing and gaining. For me, a lot of it has to do with lack of preparation and lack of consistent exercise. With that said, I have discovered you have to find the right balance of macros that work for YOU. Like everyone else has said, eating junk all day will not give you a 'healthy' body but you might be able to do it and stay within your allotted calories. There are so many benefits to eating healthy foods (fighting inflammation, cancer, arthritis, diabetes, high blood pressure...the list goes on and on). I have found that for me, if I am higher in protein, lower in carbs and sugar it works better for me. I just have to be consistent and be prepared.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For most overweight but otherwise healthy people calories is all that matters for weight loss. But some medical conditions or medications can make losing easier by cutting carbs.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a bit different. Your body will metabolize the alcohol before ANYTHING else. Therefore while you're drinking and your body is metabolizing the alcohol, you won't lose anything and everything in excess will be stored as fat.

Um interesting theory, science to back it up please ?

Here's a few articles :-)

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-alcohol-affects-metabolism.html#b

http://www.livestrong.com/article/280263-alcohol-fat-burning/

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_alcohol_make_you_fat

http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_300/307_drink-without-gaining-weight.html

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Moderation
  • nashiyashi
    nashiyashi Posts: 17
    Options
    My general understanding is that yes technically you can lose weight as long as you cut calories appropriately, however the general idea behind low carb diets is that the fact that carbs, especially simple ones like doughnuts etc, will cause blood sugar spikes but not provide lasting energy, therefore you will be hungrier sooner and end up wanting to eat more food. Therfore it can be difficult for some people to stick to a calorie goal while eating a very high carb diet. It really depends on how your individual body metabolizes carbs though, so it is a very individual thing. If I am trying to lose weight, it is easiest for me to do low carb because that way I don't even really need to track calories that much, it is harder to overeat things like protein, fat, veggies, etc. without feeling uncomfortably full, so I don't even worry about tracking calories. It is just two different approaches to weight loss, you figure out what works best for you!
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Alcohol will derail you ... stay off it while you want to lose and use moderation when maintaining. IMHO anyway.
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So does this also apply to alcohol? I can have a few drinks and still lose as long as I'm still within a deficit? Thanks!

I do. Some days I just need to wind down with a glass of wine. I always save an extra 100-200 cals for that.

Edit: I do choose the healthiest of alcohol concoctions when drinking...like a glass of red wine or Bloody Mary
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    long term health should be the central reason you're here. Yes being slimmer is nice, but health is much more important! Junk foods are fine sometimes (I have a bit of dark chocolate most days) but vegetables etc are vital from important nutrients. It'll not only help you lose weight as they aren't as calorie dense, but also give you more energy, better thinking, better sleep, better blood results, better skin, improved fertility... can I go on?

Try to watch your carbs/fat/protein and get in as many vegetables/fruit as possible. Be sure to keep protein over 100g/day to *attempt* to maintain *some* muscle i.e. reduce the severity of muscle loss.

Good luck!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Alcohol will derail you ... stay off it while you want to lose and use moderation when maintaining. IMHO anyway.

I'm going to Germany and Ireland in 2 weeks and THEN I will give it up! LOL!:laugh: :drinker:
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Drinking allows one to go on adventures. Adventures burn calories. It's a fact. In fact, it's Science.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTJ5Y8eAyc2es5BR1-WhqMApKom_pjAJnCZZHq2uihdpzj2d6f
    subject closed...
    lol
    cute

deficit is deficit, quality of food is a choice.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a bit different. Your body will metabolize the alcohol before ANYTHING else. Therefore while you're drinking and your body is metabolizing the alcohol, you won't lose anything and everything in excess will be stored as fat.

^^^This is true, One glass of wine will ruin my day. ( "meatchicken" instead of "Michigan" ?)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Wrong.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Drinking allows one to go on adventures. Adventures burn calories. It's a fact. In fact, it's Science.

Best post ever.

Must be quoted often.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

I'm going to Germany and Ireland in 2 weeks and THEN I will give it up! LOL!:laugh: :drinker:

They will kick you out if you don't drink. You don't want to risk cutting your vacation short! :wink: :laugh:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could eat Big Mac's and Donut's all day...and be right on target!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports/printable_diary/MyChocolateDiet?from=2013-06-20&to=2013-06-20

I don't know how to make a picture of a food diary page. If anyone knows can you please tell me? Also if you know how to copy a page's contents to another day. Because I entered this as tomorrow since today is pre-logged, but now that I see it I kind of want to eat this days' worth of Big Mac's and Donuts on Friday. :wink:

th?id=H.4543350620883073&pid=1.7
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

They will kick you out if you don't drink. You don't want to risk cutting your vacation short! :wink: :laugh:

I think they mean they are going to give it up AFTER Germany and Ireland. At least I hope so.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

lol
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could eat Big Mac's and Donut's all day...and be right on target!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports/printable_diary/MyChocolateDiet?from=2013-06-20&to=2013-06-20

I don't know how to make a picture of a food diary page. If anyone knows can you please tell me? Also if you know how to copy a page's contents to another day. Because I entered this as tomorrow since today is pre-logged, but now that I see it I kind of want to eat this days' worth of Big Mac's and Donuts on Friday. :wink:

th?id=H.4543350620883073&pid=1.7

I had to quote because that is a beautiful donut. :love: Also, you can do a screen shot, and then save it to photobucket or wherever you save your pics.