How long did it take for someone to notice weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Ogirl07
    Ogirl07 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned anything to me yet...maybe cause I am doing it the healthy slow way? (and I have a lot to lose)

I have lost 10 lbs on here and 24 lbs since I started in February.

I did just go out of town for an event and several people commented on how "good" I looked and said what have you been up to you look great, your skin is glowing/your hair is fabulous/love the dress etc etc.

So, I think they can tell somethings changed but its not noticeable enough for them to feel comfortable commenting on my weight.
  • saeede83
    saeede83 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    except for my husband no one noticed my weight loss. I have lost only 14 lbls so far but I feel much smaller on the waist and thighs.
  • g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It took 22lbs before a friend of mine said that I looked a lot thinner in the face and upper arms. My husband took about the same amount of time / weight loss before he noticed one morning when I got out of the shower.

It takes a while! I'm now 25lbs down and STILL not down a pant size yet. :x
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Too long and I was getting frustrated, then I realised it should only be me that notices because I'm doing it for me, THEN they noticed.

I've posted it before, but apparently the general rule of thumb is (obviously dependent on how much you're looking to lose).

YOU: 5lbs
    Close friends/family/partner: 10lbs
    The world: 20lbs plus
  • SunOfMan
    SunOfMan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I got my first comment about 1-2 months in but it wasn't until I started buying new, smaller clothes that people started to really notice. After about 7 months when I got some new glasses I was getting a comment nearly every day for a couple of weeks, I suppose they made my face look slimmer.

I think new clothes that fit well is the major turning point though and my old habit of always buying too big didn't help!
  • lydian8
    lydian8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    No one has really noticed my loss. I can't see a change either, but I'm in this body every day. I have soooo much weight to lose. My clothes are looser, but at my size, I was wearing them loose anyway. I think if I were shorter and my weight were more concentrated to one area, it might be more noticeable. It's nice when people think I'm thinner than I am because of the distribution, but this is the downside. It's okay. My goal is half my starting body weight. Someone will have to notice that!!
  • foxylady522
    Options
    The *first* time I lost weight I was able to get down 55lbs. I had people tell me that they couldn't tell when I had lost 20lbs. It took 35lbs and better fitting clothing for people to notice. I had also gotten to the point of losing lots of inches and not many pounds for a couple of months. I was pretty much heartbroken when I had to lose so much for anyone to notice. I had gone from 240lbs to 205lbs before anyone noticed?!??! It was like 3 sizes of clothing! lol
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Part of it is to do with body composition and where you lose. I didn't really get a single comment for the first 25 pounds, but then people started noticing and then with 30 pounds lost *everyone* noticed. I found it really hard to keep going thinking that I'd lost 20 pounds (more than 10% of my body weight) and *no one* said anything. I wish I had taken photos along the way to keep my motivation up when it felt like nothing was changing.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Measuring helps too! I have not lost much weight, but I am also gaining muscle lost. I have lost several inches though! People who have not seen me in a while notice but not the everyday ones. Though to his credit my 7 yr old just told me yesterday that he can see me getting skinnier every time I exercise! lol That is the kind of support we all need! Love my boys!

keep up the great work everyone!

Chelle ; )
  • lcantrell65
    lcantrell65 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have lost 15 pounds since joining MFP and 20 all together. Not a single person has noticed. I have a dear friend who is also trying to lose some weight. She's lost 11 lbs and everybody is noticing. It drives me CRAZY!!! But the truth of the matter is she is almost 6 ft tall and only wanted to lose about 15 pounds. I am barely over 5"3" and need to lose about half of myself. I keep telling myself I wasn't doing it for everyone else anyway. I am doing it for me. As long as I see the scales move or feel my clothes fitting better, then that is all that matters. (I am REALLY happy for my friend, but I have to be honest and say that I can't wait for my friend to reach her goal weight so that every body will stop making such a huge deal about her success without even noticing mine!)
  • acceber88
    acceber88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am down 25lbs and had my first comment from a customer the other day. Family and friends had commented around the 15lb-18lb mark, but they've been aware of what I was doing so I didn't fully believe them! I still cannot see anything in myself!
  • Chemburly12
    Options
    Family noticed after 15 - 20 pounds. A few people at the office have started to notice recently, so around 30-ish pounds.
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Probably about 20 pounds.
  • Aylawade
    Aylawade Posts: 22
    Options
    No one really has yet. I am at 12lbs lost. I wish I was like more of you and would lose in the face. If I have I haven't noticed it yet!
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 pounds down and so far only family or fitness professionals notice. Coworkers are starting to ask me lately if I've changed my hairstyle (I haven't), which I figure is them beginning to notice subconsciously.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I've lost 41 and am still wearing my same uniforms, barely. ;-). People are starting to notice as now they are loose.
  • wendamabelle
    wendamabelle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No one yet but people ask about the clothes I'm wearing and I say "I've had this forever". Sure I've had it forever but I haven't fit in it for 8 years!
    I think they will start to notice around 25lbs (I hope).
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday someone at work made a comment.. so 55LBS
  • igles25
    igles25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i have lost 28 pounds in total people always say im losing weight
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I got my first compliment this week (13 pounds down). My yoga instructor says I'm looking pretty tiny! :) We had the conversation back in March when I started to want to lose.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!