Another picky eater - no lectures please (long post)

Options

Replies

• murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Suck it up, buttercup. You're acting like a baby.

See. No lecture.

I was going to try and be helpful and nice about it, then I read your food diary and what you're eating. Now I'm with her ^^^^ sorry.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

See. No lecture.

No, I'm pretty sure she just HAD a baby. And that's when this problem started. Let's treat people with post pregnancy problems rudely. It's just so fun.
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those who have actually replied. I do like meat. I do not like tofu or vegetables nearly enough to become vegetarian, but love to substitute beans. So as many of you have requested, here's a list of foods I do like:

Oh and by the way, i didn't add eggs to my list, but can't stand their taste and I've had them so many different ways. Just tried quiche the other week (couldn't even tolerate) and an omelet last night that also didn't go over well.

Foods I love:
    Avocados
    Stir fry (with beef & broccoli, noodles, carrots, soy sauce, that sort of thing)
    Most fruits except bananas
    yogurt (if there's not fruit chunks, the texture bothers me)
    Sam's Club chicken
    Rice
    Pasta
    Hot dogs - beef only
    Pesto
    Bagels
    English Muffins
    Sour cream
    Cream cheese
    Cheese (sharp cheddar, pepperjack)
    Ranch (sadly so fatty)
    Cucumbers
    Tortillas
    Potatoes (in any form)
    Peanut Butter
    Most condiments except mayo & ketchup
    Popcorn

Also, for others, here's an article that perfectly describes how it is for me:
    http://mealtimehostage.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/picky-eating-vs-selective-eating-disorder/
    I have OCD with cleaning BIG time, cannot touch raw meat, and get very anxious when eating socially per my selectiveness. I wanted to start this topic to have someone to relate to and for assistance as it's been a constant struggle for me.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    ok
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    This is most likely a bad learned behavior. If you eat fast food and trash all the time, it will screw up your taste buds...nothing will be salty enough, nothing tastes right because all the flavor enhancers have messed you up.

My only advice is to cut out the fast food. Period. Until you can get over this, eating that is going to make it worse. (And I have nothing against fast food as a general rule) Take two weeks. Promise yourself you will only eat food made at home that doesn't come from a box. Even if its boring or less than perfect. See what happens. You might be surprised.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

See. No lecture.

Succintly spoken! I have to agree. You can retrain your taste buds if you want to.

Full disclosure: I'm a vegan , so I may be taken as having a bias here, but there are just about an infinite amount of vegetarian or vegan recipes that you could try. I like vegweb.com. For many things, you can cut them up very very small or even blend them and slowly increase their presence in your food over time. It is possible that you are an supertaster, but it's not a death sentence. If you would like help, feel free to add me. I work in IT now, but I do have plenty of experience in the Culinary Arts and I cook nearly everything at home. I'd be happy to help. Healthy food is important. If you don't make time to eat healthy now, you'll have to make time for illness later.
  • susanr613
    susanr613 Posts: 22
    Options
    It must be incredibly frustrating to dislike so many foods. It's along the lines of having food allergies; you have to figure out what you can eat by trial and error. Have you done any research into why you might have this sensitivity and if there are any food groups/types/base flavors that work for others?

I agree with others who recommend a vegetarian diet. It will keep you away from overly processed fast-food meat. I also recommend that you adopt a health-oriented focus on finding things you enjoy eating. That might also steer you away from relying on junk food and introduce you to a whole new world of food.

I also have very little free time during the week, so I cook in bulk on the weekends and put stuff in the freezer. Borrow cookbooks from the library, look up vegetarian websites for recipes, etc.

If you had a health problem like celiac disease or diabetes, you'd be proactive and serious about modifying your diet, right? Treat your taste sensitivity the same way, and you might be pleasantly surprised at all the healthy things you can enjoy.

Good luck!
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Regarding my recipe from earlier, you could substitute mashed berries in place of the banana and it should taste good also. After skimming your diary, you eat an awful lot of processed and fast foods. Having them once in a while won't hurt you but they will impact your diet significantly when eaten often.

You had at least a couple of meals in the few days that I looked at that were very high calorie, I saw one at around the 900 mark. That's a lot for your body to metabolize at one time, try keeping meals a little smaller and evenly distributed at around 400-500 calories.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those who have actually replied. I do like meat. I do not like tofu or vegetables nearly enough to become vegetarian, but love to substitute beans. So as many of you have requested, here's a list of foods I do like:

You actually have a pretty decent list of things you like - carby, but with all that fruit on there and some careful attention paid to portions, I think you're fine. I think that you could start with your list and find comparable foods to widen options a bit.

I see sour cream and cream cheese on your 'likes' list, so 0% greek yogurt might be an option. Dice some cucumber and mix it into the yogurt for tzatziki...

I know you're not a fan of veggies, but what about green leafy things; spinach (raw or cooked), romaine, kale, even iceberg lettuce? How about parsley?
  • j724mecham
    Options
    Rlalik, Thanks for the advice. I would like to keep my meals around 400-500. The past week has been really rough. I think it'd be best to just stick around a baseline of like a peanut butter sandwich and then add fruits, granola, and such to it for my breakfast & lunches.

Susanr613, I am leaning towards Selective Eating Disorder. I've had this going on since I was a kid, but has hugely amplified since being pregnant. There are a lot of studies going on with it right now since it is a differentiation from being a picky eater.

I've gone to banquets with meals of grilled chicken (with the bone in), vegetables, and mushrooms and just sat there while my husband ate his plate and mine to save me from embarrassment. And I was starving. It's not just a choice of getting over something and just beginning to like things. It's a real issue.
  • j724mecham
    Options

I know you're not a fan of veggies, but what about green leafy things; spinach (raw or cooked), romaine, kale, even iceberg lettuce? How about parsley?

I love lettuce. I like romaine too even. Not a huge fan of kale. Spinach I am alright with cooked, but it tastes much better in a smoother I'm sure.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This is most likely a bad learned behavior. If you eat fast food and trash all the time, it will screw up your taste buds...nothing will be salty enough, nothing tastes right because all the flavor enhancers have messed you up.

My only advice is to cut out the fast food. Period. Until you can get over this, eating that is going to make it worse. (And I have nothing against fast food as a general rule) Take two weeks. Promise yourself you will only eat food made at home that doesn't come from a box. Even if its boring or less than perfect. See what happens. You might be surprised.

I have to agree with this. When I first cut out soda (even diet), fast food, and candy, chips, and other "junk" food, I definitely noticed a difference in how things tasted. I remember later on into my journey when I had a diet iced tea from a convenience store because I was thirsty, I barely got three sips down before I had to toss it. It was WAY too sweet! My tastebuds had changed from my new healthy eating. They will adapt to eating foods that are less processed and with less salt, fat, and sugar.

Also, have you tried fresh herbs or the Mrs. Dash salt free blends? I noticed that a lot of veggies and such that I disliked before just needed to be cooked properly and seasoned. I didn't miss the added calories, salt, fat, and sugar one bit. Good luck!
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should think about going vegetarian if meat is really bothering you? I see you didn't list eggs in your dislike list. What about beans and things like that?

Yes! Maybe try going veggie or vegan? Since you seem to dislike a lot of meat and dairy. I am super healthy on a plant based diet and the food can be imaginative and delicious without costing very much
  • tikkathyme
    tikkathyme Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The answer probably isn't in finding new recipes or meal ideas, but rather in finding a good therapist that can work with you through this problem. No shame in that. Best of luck to you!
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a counselor? Perhaps one can help you work through some of the issues. Good luck!
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

I love lettuce. I like romaine too even. Not a huge fan of kale. Spinach I am alright with cooked, but it tastes much better in a smoother I'm sure.

Okay, you're not as crippled as you though. I'm not wild about kale either... mostly thinking about some of the macros like potassium that can be found in the dark greens. Parsley is especially good, so if you can stomach tabbouleh would be good (though you'd likely have to make your own if you don't like onions and tomatoes).

I think the suggestion to "become vegetarian" is the best approach... plan eating as if you were a vegetarian so you can find ways to get your macro nutrients in. Vegetarian cookbooks and recipe sites are typically pretty good at listing nutritional values, so you can start there and add in meat here and there as you wish. I was vegetarian for 5 years, but still ate too much ;)

The one thing it did teach me was to look at what was in my food, and to plan better. I found a lot of new foods as a result, too... so there is that.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you could have some sensory issues with smells. First of all, you've listed some foods you can not tolerate in any form, and you've listed some foods you don't prefer. I'd seperate those two lists. If you can't stand something that is quite different than you just don't really like it too much. For instance, you might find that you don't mind kale if it's in a chopped salad mixed with other greens. I think by doing that you will open up your options a little more.

Also you could make a rule that you HAVE to take one bite of every food whenever it's put in front of you. Of course, if you honestly know that the taste or texture of something will make you throw up (and I mean, really and truly throw up) than don't eat it, but if you just think it's gross and you're not going to physically puke on the table, than make yourself take one bite. Some of this is conditioning.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

Oh and by the way, i didn't add eggs to my list, but can't stand their taste and I've had them so many different ways. Just tried quiche the other week (couldn't even tolerate) and an omelet last night that also didn't go over well.

Foods I love:
    Avocados
    Stir fry (with beef & broccoli, noodles, carrots, soy sauce, that sort of thing)
    Most fruits except bananas
    yogurt (if there's not fruit chunks, the texture bothers me)
    Sam's Club chicken
    Rice
    Pasta
    Hot dogs - beef only
    Pesto
    Bagels
    English Muffins
    Sour cream
    Cream cheese
    Cheese (sharp cheddar, pepperjack)
    Ranch (sadly so fatty)
    Cucumbers
    Tortillas
    Potatoes (in any form)
    Peanut Butter
    Most condiments except mayo & ketchup
    Popcorn

Also, for others, here's an article that perfectly describes how it is for me:
    http://mealtimehostage.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/picky-eating-vs-selective-eating-disorder/
    I have OCD with cleaning BIG time, cannot touch raw meat, and get very anxious when eating socially per my selectiveness. I wanted to start this topic to have someone to relate to and for assistance as it's been a constant struggle for me.

Eat what you like. Focus on lean meats and eggs for protein. Eat the veggies you like. Eat the fruits you like. Brown rice if you can do it. Whole grains if you like them. If 40-30-30 is hard for you to reach (sometimes it is hard for me too), aim for at least 20% protein. Make sure you have a protein source at every meal. The easiest way for me to get my protein is to eat 4-5 times a day.

Don't be quick to label your food preferences with a disorder, especially without seeing a licensed psychiatrist. I think that sometimes we learn to hate foods because of the way they are prepared and presented. And sometimes the texture. I would suggest digging deep and figuring out why you hate all of those foods. You may surprise yourself.

For example, I spent 28 years of my life hating eggs. (I'm 30.) I hated the texture, the smell, and the taste. I did not just hate them--I was convinced that I was allergic because every time I bit into some eggs, I would literally vomit. And now? I have an omelet almost every day. I figured out that I need my eggs to have lots of other stuff in them (meat, veggies, cheese), and to be topped with some kind of sauce. No squishy texture, no smell, no egginess. I now use hot sauce, salsa, greek yogurt, or sometimes ketchup. So it is something you can get over, if you really want to. I could have gone the rest of my life without eggs, but I needed more lean protein in my diet, and I got really sick of chicken and turkey all the time LOL. I still will not touch deviled or hard boiled eggs, but that's okay by me.

I still hate apples, which sucks because I'd really like to keep the doctor away... But there are many other foods out there that you can include on a healthy diet. Focus on what you do like. If you can try other things, great. :) Good luck.
  • j724mecham
    Options
    Have you tried a counselor? Perhaps one can help you work through some of the issues. Good luck!

I really think I need one. One who's familiar with the whole selection eating thing. I'm pretty tired of it and feel like my journey would be easier with the issue. And I'm sure those with ED's feel the same way.
  • cdqtducks
    cdqtducks Posts: 19 Member
    Options

See. No lecture.

It's called google... search recipes of food you like.