Obesity Poll

Options

Replies

• paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I more or less feel that people should not be forced to live a certain way...if they don't want help fighting obesity then...fine; but if they do then the help should be there for them.
  • jaysonbrody
    Options
    I would vote 2 as well..
  • Aylawade
    Aylawade Posts: 22
    Options
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Classifying obesity as a disease is obscene. It's a willful decision, not a disease.
  • jaysonbrody
    Options
    People should help themselves and get off the couch and the chips and soda down !!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I am going to go with the first option, but I do believe that the person should have to show that they are making an effort to lose weight the healthy way before any drastic treatments are covered. Obesity IS a disease, but often it's a self-imposed disease. Our culture has made it easy for people to become obese, and stay obese!

I also think it would be lovely if my health insurance covered a certain amount toward a gym membership.... but that's a pipe dream! :laugh:

Some insurances already do. My husband's work insurance would pay 100% for a family membership if we actually lived in Tennessee, where he works.

Unfortunately, the policy for certain state employees in Mississippi (i.e. teachers) does not. Apparently, it really doesn't pay for much of anything since my emergency room visit and ICU stay for anaphylactic shock was turned down due to lack of pre-authorization, but I digress... :grumble:
  • kiesha22001
    kiesha22001 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    One.

Jobs that make you sit on your asss for 9 hours a day should help pay for obesity treatment/help.

I disagree. The employer didn't force the person to accept that position. That was the person's choice. It would be as crazy as making an employer pay for your gas to and from work (travel required on work time excluded). It's the employee's choice how far away from home they work. Everyone has choices, whether they choose to believe that or not is their decision.
  • katygirl66
    katygirl66 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One.

Jobs that make you sit on your asss for 9 hours a day should help pay for obesity treatment/help.

If you have a job where you sit all day, most employers will allow you to have a standing desk if you'd like, which keeps you more active. If you can't have a standing desk, eat less food and don't eat over your TDEE, it's pretty simple, not the employer's responsibility, because if you make the argument that they should have to pay because you are obese, then by that logic, they should have a say in what foods you eat and how much...

Its not the employers decision when you have heart disease, diabetes, and other health related issues, and lets face it, we can take better care of ourselves for those diseases too. I do not choose to be obese, but I am. My friend and I have the same eaqting habits, exercise habits and similar lifestyles, and she is not obese. It is not always about choices, it is also genetic. I do believe that i am responsible for change, but it doesn't hurt for employers to offer incentives and motivation for being healthy...not just about obesity but blood pressure, diabetes, heart health and other issues.

I wish i lived in the black and white world where getting off the couch would solve my problem!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I don't understand.

How is "Policy makers need to stay out of people's personal lives" a defensive response? That's my general response to anything. I also agree with "Employers shouldn't be required to cover obesity treatments" These are in no way mutually incompatible.
    Because it doesn't answer the poll question. The question is, "How do you feel about..." and the most commonly picked answer was, "Stay out of my life!"

There are many people who think they should be able to drive without seat belts and without child seats while carrying unlicensed concealed weapons, among many hundreds of possible examples of government regulation that could be given. Everyone could come up with a regulation that they think is silly.

Toughsky. If you don't like it move to the Republic of Onyourown.

Thank you so much. I don't know what I'd do without people like you telling me how to live my life.

Also, "stay out of my life" is nothing like the Republic of Onyourown. I appreciate the hell out of my voluntary interactions with others. I am immensely grateful for the world that I live in and the awesome people in my life.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Classifying obesity as a disease is obscene. It's a willful decision, not a disease.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Say that when your thyroid bottoms out and you bounce up to over 200 pounds like I did after each child.
  • Alphastate
    Options
    Barring any serious medical conditions:
  • info_nrs
    info_nrs Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Say that when your thyroid bottoms out and you bounce up to over 200 pounds like I did after each child.

Then it is actually 'thyroid disease' not obesity as the disease. Obesity is a SYMPTOM of many underlying diseases or conditions (whether it's stress, thryoid, food addictions, or pure laziness and gluttony) but calling the actual 'obesity' the disease is missing the point. If for instance, your thyroid wasn't checked out because the obesity itself is considered the disease, then you'd never get well. And before anyone jumps on me about the stress thing, yes, it is medically proven that constant stress can contribute to obesity (maybe not as much as sitting on the couch eating a tube of cookie dough, but it does make it hard to loose a belly!!!!) :blushing:
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Then it is actually 'thyroid disease' not obesity as the disease. Obesity is a SYMPTOM of many underlying diseases or conditions (whether it's stress, thryoid, food addictions, or pure laziness and gluttony) but calling the actual 'obesity' the disease is missing the point. If for instance, your thyroid wasn't checked out because the obesity itself is considered the disease, then you'd never get well. And before anyone jumps on me about the stress thing, yes, it is medically proven that constant stress can contribute to obesity (maybe not as much as sitting on the couch eating a tube of cookie dough, but it does make it hard to loose a belly!!!!) :blushing:

My doctor called it "adrenal burnout" for lack of a better term. Ten years ago, when I was first diagnosed with acute recurring pancreatitis and had NONE of the normal conditions (no congenital deformities and not alcoholic), my doctor ran a battery of tests, including cortisol level and other stress indicators. Mine were through the roof! She said this really did explain why I ballooned to 300 pounds despite not being able to eat anything of any substance most days and vomiting almost daily for two years. Made me feel even better that there was a cure for it :) She promptly wrote me two prescriptions. One was for an hour of exercise daily and the other was stress management purposes. (Really, she wrote a note to my mother that I had to have the time to exercise or I would die before she did! Then who was gonna take care of her?!?)

Before I get pounced about not taking care of my mother, there is wayyyyy more to that story than I care to share here. :smile:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    One.

Work shouldn't be responsible for someone else's habits. Desk jobs don't make you fat. What someone chooses to eat and do after work does.

Obesity is a symptom not a disease.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

In that case, insurance shouldn't pay for any illnesses, treatments, or conditions related to alcoholism or drug abuse, yet a lot of them do. Drinking and doing drugs are willful decisions too.
  • Alphastate
    Options

In that case, insurance shouldn't pay for any illnesses, treatments, or conditions related to alcoholism or drug abuse, yet a lot of them do. Drinking and doing drugs are willful decisions too.
    Agreed
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I agree with all three to some degree, but mostly with employers not being held responsible for it. Although, I would add that it would be nice if there were incentives for individuals who DO take care of themselves.

I got so worked up when I worked for a company where most of the employees smoked, drank, did not exercise, etc. My rates were the same as theirs even though I did not have as many health issues and did not cost the insurance company as much as they did.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm for all 3 to varying degrees....

The government and private sector should support the fight against obesity (8216) - 31%

In the sense that they promote health and wellness programs, and that employers provide incentives for employees. Lots of companies have their own gyms, or start groups that go walking on their lunch breaks, etc...
    Not in the sense that they tell me what to do.
    My company has a small gym upstairs.

This.
    We also have a woman come in 1x/week to teach a yoga class. If you want to take yoga, you sign up and pay for the class. The company provides the space. But they aren't going to pay for your class. Besides, you are more inclined to go if you are paying for it. If it's free, then it's no big deal to you if you skip.

Employers shouldn't be required to cover obesity treatments (5796) - 22%

Agreed. In the sense that it's not THEIR fault someone gets obese. It's due to laziness, OR other emotional problems in that individual's life. They should seek help on their own in the form of therapy, if needed, and/or joining a gym. There are plenty of programs out there.
    Also, one should define "obesity treatments". What exactly falls under that category?

I don't believe they should pay for things that aren't necessary. For example, they shouldn't have to pay for your gym classes.

You know where the gym is. Get a membership.
    Can't afford memberships? Go buy a $5 workout dvd and follow along. I got my nifty little hand weights for $6. 2 sets of hand weights. Cheap. Also, jump ropes are not that expensive. You can get a good one for $7 on amazon.
    Can't afford that either? You know where youtube is. Go use one of the 354318461438 videos there.
    Don't have internet? GO OUTSIDE. There is grass, side walks, HS track fields, roads, etc. Go walk, jog, run, skip, whatever.

Policy makers need to stay out of people's personal lives (12824) - 47%

I do believe that GENERALLY speaking, people get obese on their own. Telling people that they can only buy certain things, or drink certain things, or that you are only allowed to buy sodas in 20 oz cups but no bigger than that, is not cool.
    I take personal responsibility for letting myself get fat. And it's my responsibility to get healthy.
    Taking away that personal responsibility TO ME is like telling me that I don't know how to do it myself. For me personally, it's a slap in the face. It is telling me that I am fat and I obviously don't know how to take care of myself.
    I need that personal responsibility and I need the policy makers to let me have it.

Those are just my thoughts on all that....... :flowerforyou:
    Granted, its what would work for me, but for others who have more issues with obesity than I do, they might feel differently.
  • jenner1981
    jenner1981 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm with the 47%. Policy makers need to stay out of our lives!