Lunchbreak Workout- I think boss is getting annoyed

Options

Replies

• missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You started this without telling him? I used to work out at lunch, too, but I talked to my supervisor first. I think that's the way any changes in your schedule is supposed to be handled.

I didn't really feel like it was his business what I was doing on my lunch break quite frankly. I have since told him during a conversation (a few weeks ago) that I'm working out on lunch and he didn't say anything then.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    if you are only allowed 60 min for lunch then you should modify your workout to allow you to return within 60 min. I'm a salary employee and we have a Union; but my Union rep would give me the same adivce "return before the allowed time is up". I once was a single mom of two and had to make necessary adjustments. Most importantly COMMUNICATE with him.
  • missshyeviolett
    Options
    As much as you'd like the 1+ hr break, maybe if you think that length is bothering him, aim for alittle less? I get a 1hr lunch, I only aim for 30min walks or rides, that way I have time to get back and cool down, clean-up and/or eat something before I need to get back to work.

Hope you can figure something out.

I would, but I attend a class that it's tough to slip out early from. I technically could though if I had to.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Talk to him and tell him you feel that there may be an issue and just want to clear the air.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    1. Log the hours you work to prove to him that you are covering your obligations if you need to. 2. TALK to him when you have at least a weeks worth of logging if his behaviour has not changed. 3. Be quietly assertive if he challenges your choices - a blazing row is not going to help. 4. Be discrete when and where you talk to him - if he feels the whole office is listening, he is more likely to dig his heels in and be obstinate. 5. Give a reasoned response if he actually comes up with a half-reasonable reason for his behaviour - with so little info it is not possible to guess what this may be, but we don't work there - you do! But you should know all this because you are a manager too! Good luck!
  • missshyeviolett
    Options
    Ya'll are right. I just needed a kick in the *kitten*.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    normally no matter how many hours you put in a typical 40 hour plus week you get a 30 minute unpaid lunch and 2 - 15 minute paid breaks, so maybe he is not thrilled with the full hour lunch, I would ask him. An hour in most companies would seem excessive unless you are not taking any other breaks since your breaks are for bathroom and other things.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    If he asks you to quit, laugh in his face and say "fire me for taking my lunch. I'd love to be on paid leave this summer"
  • missshyeviolett
    Options
    normally no matter how many hours you put in a typical 40 hour plus week you get a 30 minute unpaid lunch and 2 - 15 minute paid breaks, so maybe he is not thrilled with the full hour lunch, I would ask him. An hour in most companies would seem excessive unless you are not taking any other breaks since your breaks are for bathroom and other things.

Eh, in our office the hourly employees all get an hour lunch and two 15 min breaks.
  • missshyeviolett
    Options
    If he asks you to quit, laugh in his face and say "fire me for taking my lunch. I'd love to be on paid leave this summer"

I like you.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I'm def still working over 40 hours!

I think my guilt may be playing a role in this but I've also noticed something different with him for sure.

I'm somewhat afraid to bring it up because I don't want him to tell me to stop... :(
    He CANNOT tell you to stop taking a lunch. Its required by law, if you work more than 6 hours a day you have to take at least 30 mins. Well, I didn't check to see where you live, but that is the law around here. And that is your time, so working out, eating, taking a nap, have sex, that is your time to do what you want with. So the activity shouldn't be a problem.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

She's a manager. Exempt from those regulations.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Talk to him and ask if there is a problem with what you are doing

This ^^

If he says yes, remind that you are by law guaranteed a lunch break. It does not have to be 60 min by law though, so familiarize yourself with your company's policy. If he persists and is vilotating the law or policy, talk to your HR director. If that doesn't work, contact the Dept. of Labor.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    By law, after a certain number of hours, your boss must allow you to have a lunch break.

Each state is different so you may want to check on this buy YES. Even if you are salary you still get a lunch or break.

While you are commuting do you still work (do work while on a bus or train)? <--- That would still count as work!

I love this topic because of this:

Corporate America exists to squeeze the life out of its employees so that the company and shareholders can make a profit. But they have realized that its important that their employees stay healthy. Each of the reasons they care about have nothing to do with the employees actual health or happiness; it has to do with the company's bottom line. Increased productivity, less sick days, and lower health care costs are all incentives companies have to invest in its employees "Wellness". This situation right here is where the irony comes in. They support your wellness, but do that on your own time when you arent busy working all day or taking care of your family.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    By law, after a certain number of hours, your boss must allow you to have a lunch break.

In my state that is only true if you are under 18, for employees over 18 employers are not required to give any kind of break.
  • geekgirl_2012
    geekgirl_2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't think taking a defensive stance will server your larger goals. You will still need to work with him. Could you have a conversation with him where you bring it up a bit more casually? You seem to be worried that he will ask you to stop. But it seems rather unreasonable for an employer to deny an employee a lunch break. Perhaps provide an opportunity for discussion about the topic - without you asking for permission to spend your lunch hour the way you see fit.
  • mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am a salaried employee as well. I would suggest just sit down and talk to him. Get a clear definition of what his expectations for you are.
    With my boss, he knows that I go to work out on lunch, and he doesn't have a problem with it. Because he also knows, if I need to be there for a meeting or something like that, it will be taken care of. For example, if I know there is going to be an important meeting at lunch that day, I hit the gym before I come in rather than at lunch. I guess what I am getting at is he does not have a problem with me working out everyday, because I make it accomodate my schedule at work that day. Does that make sense?
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Exactly!!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    This sounds like what happened to me at my old job. I was salary and my hours were 8-4 HOWEVER I was in the office at 7 - sometimes before (if I was doing a double workout I would be at work at 5:30, put in a half hour of work, hit the gym at 6 and be back at my desk by 8)- specifically so that I could spend an hour at the gym at work. My boss would constantly give me the stink eye when I went to go workout at lunch. If I decided I was going to work out at 3 and then go home after I'd let him know but God forbid if I emailed him at 9 a.m. because he instantly thought that's when I got in (I was always in the office long before he was).

Did it make for a tough work environment for me? Absolutely especially since I was on top of my work, always ahead and the one who picked up the slack for everyone else.

Any way, my rant is over LOL. Have you considered going in an hour earlier so that you can do the hour workout with no issues and maybe just give your boss a heads up about it? Or maybe discuss it with him? It's easier to ask forgiveness later than permission first.
  • missshyeviolett
    Options

Each state is different so you may want to check on this buy YES. Even if you are salary you still get a lunch or break.

While you are commuting do you still work (do work while on a bus or train)? <--- That would still count as work!

I love this topic because of this:

Corporate America exists to squeeze the life out of its employees so that the company and shareholders can make a profit. But they have realized that its important that their employees stay healthy. Each of the reasons they care about have nothing to do with the employees actual health or happiness; it has to do with the company's bottom line. Increased productivity, less sick days, and lower health care costs are all incentives companies have to invest in its employees "Wellness". This situation right here is where the irony comes in. They support your wellness, but do that on your own time when you arent busy working all day or taking care of your family.

tumblr_m6ha2uyfh71rwcc6bo1_400.gif