Exercise induced Asthma anybody?

Options

Replies

• Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have been very worried but it is good to hear that running and cardio can still be done with care.

They can!

I didn't mention it in my earlier post, but my asthma is also triggered by my allergies. I am on 2 preventative medications, Singulair and Pulmicort. My asthma and allergies were untreated/poorly managed for years when I was younger and I now have scar tissue in my lungs. My allergist said that I will never have normal lung capacity or function, but it has not stopped me from doing what I want. Since learning to manage my asthma I have: run a half marathon, done a 100+ mile bike ride, competed in triathlons, done several multi-day backpacking trips and multi-day kayak trips. It seems like the more I do, the fewer problems I have. It may take me longer to train for an event, and I am a slow runner, but I get there.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    These replies are very helpful!!!

Has anybody also found that their legs feel as dead as a dodo when the wheezing starts (if running at the time)?

I am presuming this is because of the lack of enough oxygen going to the limbs?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Has anybody also found that their legs feel as dead as a dodo when the wheezing starts (if running at the time)?

Yup.

My guess would be lack of oxygen as well. It took a long time for me to mentally get through that. I'd stop, and be done. No more.
  • CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Exercise-induced asthma and a history of collapsed lungs! Ah it's fun, isn't it?:) The biggest thing is just to stay sensitive to your body and don't beat yourself up over having to take it easy. I love running outdoors, but have to make myself stay inside if it's too humid or damp outside. This might just be me being weird, but I find my chest pain will lessen if I breath in through my nose and out my mouth. Also, I use a low-dose rescue inhaler about 15-30 minutes before I workout. It might make you jumpy, but once you get into your workout it settles down. Hope this helps:)
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I experienced something very similar.

Do you use an inhaler? I expect you may have picked up bronchitis from irritation caused by the inhaler, which you're using to ward off you asthma symptoms.

I'd suggest you see an allergy doctor. They'll be able to recommend a different inhaler, or (I'm assuming you have allergies) allergy medication.

I had chronic bronchitis and regular asthma symptoms for years until I saw an allergy doctor. He got my allergies under control with a couple of inhalers and one over-the-counter allergy medication, and my asthma and bronchitis went away with it.
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yup - I have exercise induced asthma. I am a rock climber, but this makes me a slow hiker. I bike almost every day and just started to run a little bit. I have to pace myself, but I keep going.

I have also had 3 bad illnesses this year that turned into respiratory illnesses. I live in the city and (literally) beside the airport. The poor air quality does not help me!

However, I keep moving and listening to my body. Pace yourself but don't push it. Cardio is good for you, but don't overdo it! :)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Me too, I was diagnosed with it about three years ago (doc said I've probably always had it since it is genetic in my family, but I never had a severe enough attack that I would have been diagnosed) extreme cold or humidity triggers it, as well as allergies, and certain scents. Allergist put me on Dulera (2 puffs 2 times a day) and it has helped when I exercise, not so much for the weather, allergy and scent issues, but I haven't had to use a rescue inhaler since I was diagnosed and I have a better recovery when I get breathless when I run now. I pace myself when I'm exercising and my trainer can even tell the difference between when I started and now, so the exercising has helped (once I get back to losing weight, that will help as well, but apparently I have some issues to deal with about that too... but I digress).
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yep! It's the worst! In May my boyfriend and I went hiking in the mountains, and it was horrible. Granted it was a lot of hiking up steep mountain trails, but it was bad! I'd have to stop every couple of minutes and catch my breath. If I walk outside at any sort of brisk pace in the winter or on a hot, humid day it acts up too. It's so frustrating.
  • r524reed
    r524reed Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join this club..... Mine is really bad during colder runs. Like I can't run under 50 degrees. It burns my lungs and I end up with URI every time !!!!!
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join this club..... Mine is really bad during colder runs. Like I can't run under 50 degrees. It burns my lungs and I end up with URI every time !!!!!

Yes! It is so hard to breathe when it is cold! And I live in a place where you cannot avoid the cold every winter. Someday I will get smart and move somewhere warm. ;)
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    My doctor told me to use the inhaler 30 min PRIOR to running. It has worked amazingly well for me.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    I'm an Asthma Nurse. It scary how many uneducated asthmatics are out there.
    Have to go to work now but will post again about asthma, inhalers, triggers and how the different inhalers work.
    Cheers
  • GrammyNanner
    GrammyNanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes & I use my Albuterol inhaler 1 hour before going to the gym.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I grew up with asthma and have had several triggers, among them exercise and cold weather. Having a doctor work with you on the proper medication is key, and for me, learning to run as an adult actually helped. I haven't turned blue in years.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! I'm with you! My PT will hear me wheezing at times. He made it clear I shouldn't even come to a workout without my inhaler. I try not to use and rarely do but he wants me to have it anyway. When I am wheezing, we ease up on the conditioning and hit heavier weights. I can do that with less problems and I like it better! I'm curious what the astma nurse has to say. :smile:
  • __Di__
    Options

Yup.

My guess would be lack of oxygen as well. It took a long time for me to mentally get through that. I'd stop, and be done. No more.

Ahh thank God for that, thought I was going mad LOL!

This is great to know that these symptoms are shared and are not in my imagination, it was getting so frustrating. I am going to make sure I use my inhaler before a run now and see what happens. Whatever the case, it can't be any worse! :flowerforyou:
  • __Di__
    Options
    Exercise-induced asthma and a history of collapsed lungs! Ah it's fun, isn't it?:) The biggest thing is just to stay sensitive to your body and don't beat yourself up over having to take it easy. I love running outdoors, but have to make myself stay inside if it's too humid or damp outside. This might just be me being weird, but I find my chest pain will lessen if I breath in through my nose and out my mouth. Also, I use a low-dose rescue inhaler about 15-30 minutes before I workout. It might make you jumpy, but once you get into your workout it settles down. Hope this helps:)

That is exactly what I am going to try now. Going for a run tomorrow, hopefully this will work :D
  • __Di__
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    I'm an Asthma Nurse. It scary how many uneducated asthmatics are out there.
    Have to go to work now but will post again about asthma, inhalers, triggers and how the different inhalers work.
    Cheers

That would be great, thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • __Di__
    Options
    I just wanted to say to everybody, thanks so much for replying in this thread, things weren't making sense but as it has been getting worse, today I took my inhaler for the first time (after my awful run) and the difference in my breathing was amazing. I was very concerned that it was going to mean I wouldn't be able to run for much longer, but it looks like that may not be the case going by everybody's personal experiences and how you all cope.

xxx
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi Again Everyone,
    Asthma Nurse here.

Asthma is usually the result of an allergic reaction to a trigger. Symptoms may include cough, wheeze and shortness of breath. You may have one or all of these symptoms.
    These symptoms are caused by a narrowing of the airways. This narrowing is the result of muscle spasms + inflammation of the lining of the airway, and increased mucous production.
    Exercised induced asthma is slightly different in that often a trigger like 'cold air' triggers spasm of the muscles around the breathing tubes or bronchi, and is often associated with underlying low grade inflammation of the airways.

The potential triggers are many and varied, and will differ for each person. Common triggers are Emotions/Stress/Excessive Laughter, Hormonal, Animals, Cold Air, Exercise, Dust/Dustmites, Food/Drinks, Mould/Damp, Pollens, Cold/Flu or Aspirin/NSAIDS. Knowing your triggers is important in the management of asthma. Avoiding triggers wherever possible and reducing their impact.

Blue inhalers - these are reliever or rescue inhalers that relieve your symptoms, usually within 5mins of using it. They work by relaxing the muscles around the airways.

Brown/Orange inhalers - commonly known as preventers, reduce the inflammation and mucous production over time, and reduce your sensitivity to your triggers. They take at least 2weeks to start working, and symptoms continue to improve for up to 3months. That means you need to take this medication every day, and not miss more than 2 doses/wk.

Purple/Red inhalers - these are combination inhalers. They contain a preventer and a long term reliever. Used when asthmatics haven't acheived maximum control on a preventer alone, and still require reliever inhaler more than 2x/wk.

Please note:
    most people with asthma are undertreated;
    those not on preventers often have underlying inflammation which if left untreated can lead to remodeling of the airways, causing irreversable airway disease called Chronic Obstructive Respiratory Disease;
    if you use your reliever inhaler more than two times per week, or wake at night with cough, wheeze or shortness of breath, then please see your Doctor or Asthma Nurse for assessment. You should probably be using a preventer.