My pals have abandoned me?

Options
I have lost 72 pounds and it has taken me 16 months to do it. I still have a long way to go. I hated exercise!! Then I discovered the pool. I love the water. So I bust my butt water jogging every single day. burning anywhere from 600 to 1200 calories a day, actually have started to see muscle development---and most of my Pals drop me??? What happened?

Replies

• tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    are most of your "pals" overweight and not doing anything about it? if so, they are probably feeling uneasy at your success...maybe a bit jealous....time to find some healthy friends! Of course, you could just "ask" your pals! ;)
  • Crystalagain22
    Crystalagain22 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that hon :( Maybe they are a bit jealous of your success?! Not great friends if that's the case :( Regardless, that is an AMAZING loss!!! Congrats on the dedication!!!
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Aw I'm sorry about that. Must feel sad, right? Don't worry about it, if they don't like what you are doing, then find better friends. But if you like them and don't want to lose them, then you can talk to them about it and ask them WHY they dropped you, which I don't really advice you to do.

Add me though, =) Would love to support ya!
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    They might not have dropped you but are dropping MyFitnessPal. I wouldn't take it personally. Sounds like a good opportunity to make some new swimming-loving friends on here.
  • genofreek
    genofreek Posts: 75
    Options
    Who knows, people have different reasons. Maybe they left the site or trimmed their friends list down to a manageable size and you got lost in the shuffle. Or maybe there was drama we don't know about. No way to know unless you ask, I suppose.

Great job on the weight loss, though! 16 months and 72 pounds is pretty damn impressive.
  • xxangelwingsxx
    Options
    hey im sorry to hear your pals dropped you if you'd like a friend for support ill do what i can =]. p.s great progress its very impressive 72 pounds is no easy feat.
  • Time4NUME
    Time4NUME Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wow. So sorry to hear you keep pushing....:flowerforyou:
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Do you mean in real life? It may just be different interests now, if that's the case.
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    I'd agree that envy is the cause. I was feeling rather annoyed with my bestie talking about her diet and exercise all the time. Then one day it hit me... I was jealous.
    Right then and there I decided she wasn't getting skinny without me!
    Congratulations on sticking to your goals. I wish you continued success.
    There are many people out there looking to cultivate healthy, uplifting relationships. If you keep a great attitude, they'll seek you out. And who knows, maybe some of your friends will also have an 'ah ha' moment and come around
  • betterthanbefpre
    betterthanbefpre Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. They are just jealous. You will find some supportive friends.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i'm not much of a talker... from what i see, most people get what they give tho, were you very supportive of your friends?
  • J2mazou
    J2mazou Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow, your weight loss is incredible. You should be very proud of yourself!
    If your friends aren't proud and pleased for you, then they obviously have their own insecurities to deal with. You should focus on your own happiness, and making new, supportive friends.
  • Barbieg428
    Barbieg428 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    you are doing AWESOME and should be so proud of yourself !!! You are a great inspiration! would be honored to add you as a friend
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I remember when I started to get back in shape a year ago and was taking care of my mom. She would constantly sabotage me and we fought about it. Since she is now on the other side of the country I realize she was trying to stop me because she didn't want to be the only one who was out of shape.

I have a lot of friends that as I become more active and start to do stuff all they want to do is hit the bar and drink/eat crap. We just don't have as much in common as I thought we did. I'm currently taking applications for new friends lol.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Fantastic accomplishment on your part. Sometimes having weight issues is the glue that helps friends stick together. Although it is unspoken they may feel that you are or will "abandon" them with your success. They may even be "rejecting" you before you "reject" them. I personally am not so quick to leave deep and long friendships without first determining "what's up?"
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that happened. I say it could be jealousy. Feel free to add me if you like. I love seeing people kick butt! It keeps me motivated.
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    Congrats on your success!
    So sorry to hear your friends let you down.
    If real life pals, maybe talk to them about it.
    If MFP friends, I say not worth it just replace them, so many fish in the MFP sea.:wink:
  • 135OHK
    135OHK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've had several my fitness pals drop out on me. I just figure they didn't want to do this anymore. Right now I only have one that is posting daily and one that is logging in, but not really posting comments at this time. It can get discouraging at times, but I'm in this for ME. As long as one other person is encouraging me, that's fine. If she drops out I will just search for more my fitness pals. There are lots of people on here who will be encouraging!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have grown apart. Maybe you have different interests now? I mean you can go the jealousy route and say "screw them", and have less friends. Or you could do your little swims with maybe new friends who like to swim, and then just have coffee with your old friends and go for froyo with them. IDK. To me I'd do whatever to keep as many friends as possible. I wouldn't expect everyone in my life to be ready for change right at the exact moment I am.
  • _Countryboy_
    Options
    16 months? Many of them probably died of old age.