Better to eat a Lean Cuisine than nothing at all?

Options
mrsriisky
mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
So, my biggest obstacle is the fact that I HATE eating in the morning. I'm never hungry or inclined to eat before 2pm, and am pretty busy until then. I tend to eat twice a day, usually a snack around 1pm-3pm, and then make a big healthy dinner. I am trying to change this, I know it is not a healthy approach and it's not doing my metabolism any favors.

I don't eat a lot of processed foods, I love cooking and usually try to make a delicious and nutrient rich dinner, but I've found that the only thing I am even mildly inclined to eat before noon is a smoothie, if I have time to make one, or to a Lean Cuisine or other low-cal frozen meal.

Do you think it's better to eat a Lean Cuisine in the morning-ish time than nothing at all? Or do y'all have any suggestions for a lady who does not enjoy breakfast foods and doesn't have a lot of time in the morning?

Replies

• lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe you should eat when your hungry...

As long as you reach your daily calorie goal through out the day you should be fine

Dont force your self to eat just because of others beliefs do what is right for you and your body...

If i am not hungry i dont eat till i am!
  • athyraslove
    athyraslove Posts: 145
    Options
    You can prep smoothies for the week, pre measure everything and cut it up and put it in baggies in the freezer. Then when you wake up put it on the counter, and blend it when you are ready. :) This is a good way to use fruit and spinach that is going bad too. But yes, I think a lean cuisine is better than nothing at all. Do you like apples and peanut butter?
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    So, my biggest obstacle is the fact that I HATE eating in the morning.

Then don't. Why are you trying to force yourself? The "eat many small meals" myth has been dispelled for metabolic effect. If you feel better eating them go for it, but don't try to force yourself to do it if it makes you miserable, the science says it's not a big help and being able to stick to your diet plan is more important than sticking with the a fad diet idea that has been disproved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/health/23really.html (summary)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985 & http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592618 (real science)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Breakfast isn't a necessity. Eat when you want.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    calories can not tell time, so when you eat isnt of much importance. tbh, lately i havent been eating anything before lunch because 1. im not that hungry, and 2. i work out at night and love to get a good meal in after that.

you say you dont eat a lot of processed foods, but youre asking about lean cuisine and other frozen meals...they are highly processed.

keep going with your smoothies if youre enjoying them, or dont eat at all if youre not hungry.

never feel obligated to eat based on what time it is. as long as your calorie/macro goals are met for the day, youre golden.
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend kick starting the metabolism with at least a protein bar, shake or fruit smoothie. Eat when you are hungry, yes.. but if you are trying to lose weight - you have to eat right and frozen meals are not the way to go. Lots of salt, processed crap and chemicals.

I used to be like that - never ate breakfast - wouldn't be hungry till afternoon.. I was always skinny fat. I had to force myself to eat breakfast - then eat every 3 hours after... its a process but your body will thank you!

Good luck...
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Breakfast isn't a necessity. Eat when you want.

^ This.

I don't eat breakfast. I have coffee and then a small lunch. That leaves me more calories for dinner and dessert.

And btw, lean cuisines would probably be classified as processed foods, which you said you don't eat...

Why can't you make yourself something to eat the night before to take the next day for breakfast or lunch or snack or whatever meal you're having?
  • mrsriisky
    Options
    These responses make me feel a lot better! I have a lot of "health conscious" friends and coworkers, and they lecture me about not eating in the morning all the time. I do like the suggestion of putting smoothie materials in baggies for the days that I am inclined to eat in the am- and I love apples and peanut butter! That's usually my "watching TV with the hubby" snack, though- keeps me from reaching for cookies or chips!
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Look into intermittent fasting. Sounds like it might suit you.
  • mrsriisky
    Options
    calories can not tell time, so when you eat isnt of much importance. tbh, lately i havent been eating anything before lunch because 1. im not that hungry, and 2. i work out at night and love to get a good meal in after that.

you say you dont eat a lot of processed foods, but youre asking about lean cuisine and other frozen meals...they are highly processed.

keep going with your smoothies if youre enjoying them, or dont eat at all if youre not hungry.

never feel obligated to eat based on what time it is. as long as your calorie/macro goals are met for the day, youre golden.

To clarify, I realize that Lean Cuisines are highly processed, that's why I was wondering if they are better than nothing at all :) How do I figure our my macros?? Thank you for the response!
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat in the morning don't. It is old school to say breakfast is the most important meal, that is just outdated and not true. Eat in a calorie deficit and if you want to feel your best eat in a balanced macro nutrient ratio.

Check out Intermittent Fasting 16:8, it might be perfect for you. It is for me. I hate eating before noon. Check out Leangains, and visit us on the Intermittent Fasting Group here on MFP. Good people there who help, and are honest and knowledgeable and supportive. A lot of people there who have lost 40+ lbs with this method (including myself).
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I believe the same as lisy: eat when you're hungry. Also, those frozen meals are GREAT, but not on a 3-times-a-day diet. The sodium is a surprising upset.

I try to limit myself to two a week. Normally on those days when I'm exhausted from work the night before (like Mondays), and then I have a side salad with it.

For breakfasts, I really enjoy doing microwave omelets. That's where I get about a handful of various chopped veggies, put in a bowl or microwave container, and two eggs. Microwave for about 2 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked, and when it comes out, put a handful of shredded cheese. It's a real lifesaver, and I usually make that right before I walk out the door, put in my lunch bag, and eat when I get to work, or whenever I'm finally hungry. I don't really call it "breakfast", but it's got a good amount of veggies and protein from your eggs that can help keep you full. I'm not normally a breakfast fan either, but I see this meal as a "filling meal" as opposed to a "breakfast."

You can buy those frozen smoothies from Dole, I believe, where you add a juice of your choice. I can get a box of those from my local Walmart for $7ish dollars for 6 bottles, and they're great on really hot days.

Another snack I love to get is a chocolate cereal of some type, like Fiber One squares, or chocolate cheerios, and bag some up and have them as my snack, and it also kills my craving for a sweet bite.

Creativity is key! :) Good luck!!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend kick starting the metabolism with at least a protein bar, shake or fruit smoothie. Eat when you are hungry, yes.. but if you are trying to lose weight - you have to eat right and frozen meals are not the way to go. Lots of salt, processed crap and chemicals.

I used to be like that - never ate breakfast - wouldn't be hungry till afternoon.. I was always skinny fat. I had to force myself to eat breakfast - then eat every 3 hours after... its a process but your body will thank you!

Good luck...

^ Er. No. Eating breakfast to "kickstart" your metabolism is a myth.
    In regards to weight loss, all that is required is a caloric deficit. Doesn't matter what foods they are from. Doesn't matter what time you eat them. Doesn't matter how often you eat them.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast eater either, but I've read that it's important to get some nourishment soon after you wake up. Lately I've been having an 11 oz Premier protein drink in the morning that has 30 grams protein, 1 gram sugar, 160 calories. Pretty tasty, too - it's like drinking a glass of cold chocolate milk which is doable even when I'm not hungry.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    drink a protein shake in the morning

meal timing doesn't matter but breakfast is great way jumpstart your metabolism your body has been fasting for a good while while sleeping
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, don't eat. Planning and having set mealtimes will not impact what you're trying to do. Just eat when you're hungry and you'll be okay :)
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    ^ Er. No. Eating breakfast to "kickstart" your metabolism is a myth.
    In regards to weight loss, all that is required is a caloric deficit. Doesn't matter what foods they are from. Doesn't matter what time you eat them. Doesn't matter how often you eat them.

Listen to this girl.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    So, my biggest obstacle is the fact that I HATE eating in the morning. I'm never hungry or inclined to eat before 2pm, and am pretty busy until then. I tend to eat twice a day, usually a snack around 1pm-3pm, and then make a big healthy dinner. I am trying to change this, I know it is not a healthy approach and it's not doing my metabolism any favors.

There's nothing "unhealthy" about what your doing and your metabolism will be fine! Meal timing is totally irrelevant. Anyone who tells you otherwise is uneducated in the matter.

Look into Intermittent Fasting... there are many different forms, but one form involves "fasting" for a certain amount of the day and eating the rest of the time. For example, I only eat between 1pm-11pm (10 hours) and I fast the other 14 hours of the day. I started doing this because I, like you, was NEVER hungry in the mornings. I love it so far and it really fits my lifestyle. Plus research shows that eating this way can have several health benefits.

Bottom line is, do what works for you.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    drink a protein shake in the morning

meal timing doesn't matter but breakfast is great way jumpstart your metabolism your body has been fasting for a good while while sleeping

This is a myth
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Judging by the children I look after, eating at breakfast is a habit and works really well once you have acquired it. The troubled teen seems to be calmer and more able to learn after a breakfast but getting used to this usually takes quite a few weeks. (To date, alll have ended up hungry in the mornings after getting used to the routine - no matter how insistent they were that they didn't need to eat. Don't worry - no force was involved -Just sitting and being chatted to as others eat usually gets them interested)

Is it the food that does the trick though? I think that being fed at the start of the day reminds them that they are loved and cared about before the go off and face the traumas of a school day)

We are not all the same.; if you operate well without breakfast -perhaps you have a slow-burner system and actually run on last night's dinner during the morning. I cook breakfasts every day but still can't face eating them early.