"Meatless Monday" Dish Ideas

Options
PepperWorm
PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
I'm not a vegetarian/vegan, but I'm trying to cut down my meat consumption for overall health (and it's budget-friendly). I still get in my protein though, promise!

That being said, I'm looking for more meatless dishes that are satisfying and packed with protein.

Anyone have any nommy ideas? Maybe some recipes that emulate 'home favorites' (like 'meat'loaf')? If you're a vegan/vegetarian, share some stuff!

Replies

• kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    You can use portobello mushrooms in place of a lot of meat...they're super "meaty" and are REALLY tasty. :) Rachel Ray made shepherd's pie with them today...looked/sounded delicious :)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/meatless-shepherds-pie-with-horseradish-cheddar-potatoes-recipe/index.html

ETA: I would lighten it up with soy milk (my preference, I don't like regular milk), whole wheat flour, and fat free cheddar. :)
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-meatloaf-2-256720
    http://chowvegan.com/2009/10/13/veganmofo-home-style-vegan-meatloaf/
    http://backtoherroots.com/2011/09/28/two-bean-meatless-meatloaf-vegan-gluten-free/

beans, tofu, tempeh, and seitan, tvp, or vital wheat gluten are great meat substitutes that can be used in any recipe you may need meat in. if you have a meatloaf recipe, try substituting one of those in for the beef.

Also, not as high in protein, but mushrooms are a great meat replacement and have similar texture for burgers.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    meatless spaghetti
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I made an artichoke and spinach lasagna today that is loaded with protein from low fat ricotta cheese and mozzarella.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Look up the baked spaghetti squash with cheese recipe from Skinnytaste. It's good.
  • linda0372
    linda0372 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    eggplant and broccoli lasagna
    eggplant parm
  • linda0372
    linda0372 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    eggplant and broccoli lasagna
    eggplant parm
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Probably my family's favorite is TVP sloppy joes...you just cook up dry TVP with 2c water per 1c TVP and add whatever you would normally add for sloppy joe seasoning...I'm lazy so I just buy the seasoning packet and then add some mushroom/onion and worsteshire to give it a meaty flavor...
  • Charleyhasim
    Charleyhasim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and due to working shifts I often use quorn, which is high in protein and low in calories, and adds that meaty texture to meals.

To lower calories further try fajitas without the meat and big lettuce leaves instead of tortillas

Or lasagne with sliced leek sheets instead of pasta, and use quorn mince.

We also love vegetable bakes, with sweet potato, red cabbage, onions, mushrooms and any other veg going, all baked in a big pot with some goats cheese sprinkled on toward the end!
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Its been said before but lasagna is a great one.
    Cheese mixture:
    1 cup fat free cottage cheese (I did this to extend the ricotta because its expensive)
    3 cups of fat free ricotta
    3.5 tablespoons parmesan cheese
    4 egg whites and 1 whole egg
    Small handful spinach
    Some dried basil (to taste)
    Some "italian seasoning" I had on hand
    Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    A handful of mozzarella (fat free)

Whip the above together in a blender until it tastes good. Ok if you are afraid of raw eggs you can try to fly blind on this one.

Addition you need those oven ready lasagna noodles, a small can of stewed tomatoes (drained), and the rest of the 8 ounce bag of fat free mozzarella. Layer it all together like you would any lasagna and sprinkle the top with the rest of the mozzarella. Bake at 350f for like 35 minutes or until the smell drives you insane. 1/9 of the dish is a serving and is 282 calories, though it depends on the brands of cheese and pasta you use.

It works out at 26 grams of protein. Thats not too bad for such a small meal
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    You can use portobello mushrooms in place of a lot of meat...they're super "meaty" and are REALLY tasty. :) Rachel Ray made shepherd's pie with them today...looked/sounded delicious :)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/meatless-shepherds-pie-with-horseradish-cheddar-potatoes-recipe/index.html

ETA: I would lighten it up with soy milk (my preference, I don't like regular milk), whole wheat flour, and fat free cheddar. :)

I was watching this today!! It's exactly why I posted this, lol. I could look through recipes anywhere, but getting those tried-and-true favorites from other people here is what I'm aiming for.

Everything sounds nommy so far!
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    here is my pinterest board, we do meatless mondays at my house!

http://pinterest.com/wakko/1-meatless-monday/
  • melmobs1
    melmobs1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 5 years and protein is not an issue so don't worry. I use avocados a lot for a "meaty" type replacement. Zucchini, Asparagus, potatoes are super filling. I will make a giant plate of steamed veggies and add whatever seasoning you like. Best thing about veggies is you can eat till you can't possibly take another bite and you are still eating low cal. Beans are also a great choice, I like to make a Tostada salad (without the chips) vegetarian re-fried beans, lettuce, tomato, small bit of avocado, corn, green onions, cilantro, and top with salsa. Super delicious and super healthy.
  • LilithNoor
    LilithNoor Posts: 42
    Options
    Lentil dhal,spinach and potato curry and home made chapattis are a favourite in our house on a Monday.

I make all of the above in big batches and then freeze them.

If I have left over odds and ends of veg I often turn them into a fritatta. Stuff like mushrooms, onions and peppers get sauteed first, veg like carrots or courgettes get grated in just before I add the eggs.
  • Tanana66
    Tanana66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Homemade baked beans - all time favourite and so versatile. Baked with garlick, leeks, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, kalamata olives, bay leaf. (meaty version is with chorizo sausages)
    Served with chunky avocado, sour cream and salsa with or without toritlla. Or with rocket salad and shaved parmesan. Or in a pita bread with feta and oregano.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump, great ideas! meat can be $$$ at times so good to see some non meat ideas
  • Greekgirl1971
    Greekgirl1971 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's not Monday, but today was my meatless supper! I tried out a new recipe and I thought it was really tasty. Here's the recipe:

Lentil Bread
    Servings: 6

1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    5-6 mushrooms sliced
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    2 cups canned lentils, well drained
    1 1/2 cups reduced fat cheddar or mozzarella cheese* - grated
    1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    3 Tbsp skim milk
    2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
    Pepper to taste

Tomato sauce:
    2 Tbsp cane sugar
    1 tsp mustard powder
    1 can (7oz) tomato sauce

Heat oven to 350F. Brown onion & mushrooms in oil. Mix all other ingredients & then add mushroom mixture. Pour into a non-stick pan & cover with sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes.
  • urbanplum
    urbanplum Posts: 188
    Options
    Bump. I love meatless dishes! These are good ideas.
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Look up the baked spaghetti squash with cheese recipe from Skinnytaste. It's good.

This! This is my favorite thing to eat!