IF (intermittent Fasting)???

Options
Katie_Y89
Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
Someone had recommended this Intermittent fasting as a way to lose weight. Did some research and supposedly there's 2 ways to do it: for 24 hrs or for 6-8 hours. I don't trust anything with the word "fasting" associated in it, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea for only 6-12 hours.
Has anyone tried this, and if they have is it safe and did it actually work?
Thanks!

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    its an eating protocol that shouldt really make you lose weight faster... it can help curb appetite... calories should be the same on IF as it was if you werent doing IF. Maybe you should read up on IF, then ask questions.

Yes I've followed it and I believe its safe. Terribly hard to adhere to unless you're a shut in or married. For example, if you dont eat til 2PM you cant eat OR DRINK anything after 10PM... I only do it if I'm going to quit drinking for that whole time frame... Its summer... F that.

www.leangains.com
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I accidently started that. I do the 15/9 version. I don't eat anything for 6-7 hours before I go to bed. Then when I get up I might wait a half hour to an hour to eat or I will eat right away if I have overslept.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    its an eating protocol that shouldt really make you lose weight faster... it can help curb appetite... calories should be the same on IF as it was if you werent doing IF. Maybe you should read up on IF, then ask questions.

Yes I've followed it and I believe its safe. Terribly hard to adhere to unless you're a shut in or married. For example, if you dont eat til 2PM you cant eat OR DRINK anything after 10PM... I only do it if I'm going to quit drinking for that whole time frame... Its summer... F that.

www.leangains.com

nah, that's not true. Can have as much zero cal liquid as you want in fasting period. Some believe that fats are fine as they are non insulinogenic but I don't agree with that. Cals in vs out is MUCH more important than keeping insulin low during fasting period.

Plenty of reading here OP

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/599982-intermittent-fasting-faq
  • shadowharuka
    shadowharuka Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70cH74ZtCM8

Here's a video about intermittent fasting. Some research says it works for men...but not really for women.
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    it actually works pretty good for me. Especially when I don't eat at night. I actually prefer this over eating frequently or eating three meal a day.
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    As a previous poster said, your best source of information on IF is going to come from Leangains.com

I don't know why you distrust anything related to fasting... the myth of meal frequency and starvation mode have been long disproved.

I've been following the IF protocol for almost six months now, and honestly its the best thing I've ever done. I've gone from 281lbs at 40% bodyfat to 248lbs at 27% bodyfat. I'm far more clear headed during the day, my dependency on food is gone, I'm leaner, stronger and frankly I will never by choice go back to traditional eating.

6-8 hour fasts are not IF... that's just a long break between meals. I fast for 16-24 hours daily. It just depends on the day/ my schedule.

If I were you, I would experiment with 12 hour fasts for a week. Remember, all the water you want. Zero calories consumed is the idea.

If you do well with 12 hour fasts, try 14 hours the next week. It should take 2-3 weeks for your body to adjust.

Martin Berkhan (the creator of Leangains) suggests a 14/10 for his female clients - 14 hour fast followed by a 10 hour eating window.
  • dovesinthethroneroom
    Options
    I do this. Basically I start eating whenever I want in the day and from that moment forward I have a 6 hour window to eat my calories for the day. I asked my GP about this and he said if I wasnt miserable from this or prone to over-eat from it then it wasn't a problem. I've found that I am less likely to over-eat by doing this and my mood and energy levels are consistently higher than if I were to eat throughout the day. I guess try it and see if it works for you physically and socially, but I wouldn't say you're missing out if you find that it doesn't.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

www.leangains.com

nah, that's not true. Can have as much zero cal liquid as you want in fasting period. Some believe that fats are fine as they are non insulinogenic but I don't agree with that. Cals in vs out is MUCH more important than keeping insulin low during fasting period.

i meant drinking alcohol and going out partying... my social life is too busy for IF... i coulda worded it better and it was somewhat snarky.. shes only 24 and i think IF can make you a social outcast... i think health trumps partying, but, im still gonna have fun and do things..
  • NewDad24
    NewDad24 Posts: 45
    Options
    I have done Ramadan month-long fasting, no food during daylight hours. I reduced water intake during the day too; but I didn't buy into the idea that no water during 37 degree Celcius daylight hours would have any potential of being good for me. I lost weight. My appetite was less afterward and food was more satisfying. I lost more weight. Probably there were some digestive health improvements.

I have done three-day clear liquid fasts. I just use water. I understand you can add some lemon. This kind of fast will quickly shrink your appetite. Your stomach shrinks so much it cannot even be stretched to hold half as much as you could normally eat. That effect doesn't last without willpower to keep your meals small. You can probably stretch your stomach back out in a few days, as fast as you can shrink it. I did not notice any weight change (up or down). I was pretty lean at the time and did not do this for weight-loss. It is one of those religion principles of knowing what it is like to be hungry. There are more principles involved than that, otherwise I can tell you, after the first day, you are no longer hungry, just tired.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Someone had recommended this Intermittent fasting as a way to lose weight. Did some research and supposedly there's 2 ways to do it: for 24 hrs or for 6-8 hours. I don't trust anything with the word "fasting" associated in it, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea for only 6-12 hours.
    Has anyone tried this, and if they have is it safe and did it actually work?
    Thanks!

Actually, there's a few ways to do IF. You can do an eating window, most commonly the 8:16 or the 5:19, or you can do 5:2 IF or ADF (also known as JUDDD).

I lost my weight doing ADF and now maintain with 8:16 IF. There's a group here, called JUDDD or you can get more info by reading Dr. James Johnson's book, The Alternate Day Diet (I borrowed it from the library).

There's also a 5:2 group here and you can read the book, The Fast Diet, by Dr. Michael Mosley for more info, or watch his BBC or PBS documentary (you can also borrow the book from the library, but it's VERY popular and you may be on the wait list for a while!).

Leangains is the place to go for info on 8:16 or to find out more about the 5 hour window you can go to http://www.fast-5.com/ and download a free e-book with all the info :)

IF has been life changing for me and I'll always do some form of it :heart:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I did lean gains 18/6 (18 hour fast, followed by 6 hour eating window) for about nine months and liked it..it helped me lean out.

But like others said, losing still comes down to calorie deficit and eating less than you take in..

I would of continued with it, but it really did not fit my lifestyle as I felt like I was eating/cooking all night..so now I just eat about four times a day...

www.leangains.com has more info too..
  • chrisdavey
    Options

www.leangains.com

i meant drinking alcohol and going out partying... my social life is too busy for IF... i coulda worded it better and it was somewhat snarky.. shes only 24 and i think IF can make you a social outcast... i think health trumps partying, but, im still gonna have fun and do things..

True and that is where people need to find some balance. I see people in the IF group worry about trivial BS like exactly fasting for a certain amount of time. Just need to realise that you don't have to do it everyday and if you eat 'outside of your window' it's not a bad thing IIFYM.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

www.leangains.com

True and that is where people need to find some balance. I see people in the IF group worry about trivial BS like exactly fasting for a certain amount of time. Just need to realise that you don't have to do it everyday and if you eat 'outside of your window' it's not a bad thing IIFYM.

I agree. I've been doing it for a year, but you need to be flexible and not be bogged down with the windows. If i know I'm going to be going out where there will be alcohol and i want to have a bit... I'll just push my window off and not break my fast so early. Most days during the work week I'll eat from 12-8, sometimes ill push it and break my fast at 3PM and cut off at 9PM if I'm a bit more backed up. You're still reaping the benefits from it, but not being obsessive.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

www.leangains.com

I agree. I've been doing it for a year, but you need to be flexible and not be bogged down with the windows. If i know I'm going to be going out where there will be alcohol and i want to have a bit... I'll just push my window off and not break my fast so early. Most days during the work week I'll eat from 12-8, sometimes ill push it and break my fast at 3PM and cut off at 9PM if I'm a bit more backed up. You're still reaping the benefits from it, but not being obsessive.

I really think this highlights what I have found to be the most beneficial thing about IF; the realization that you don't HAVE to adhere to any specific meal timing whether it's eating every 2.5 hours on the dot or fasting for EXACTLY 16 hours or any other protocol out there.

It all comes down to just getting the right amount of food into your body for your goals. There are benefits to IF but as with anything else people get too bogged down in the details and obsess over it, which is the antithesis of what it is supposed to be about. IF gained popularity (namely the LG version) as an answer to the myth that you HAVE to eat a certain way, even if it doesn't suit your lifestyle.

Some days I end up fasting for 16 hours and some days it's only 12. The best take-away for me has been that I do enjoy working out in a fasted state or at least on a nearly empty stomach (sometimes I'll have a shake before working out). Basically I just eat when I'm hungry. Go figure. :)
  • mward2008
    mward2008 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just started the IF program about 12 days ago. It is getting easier. I break my fast at around noon, but i work out at night after work so i just eat light before going to the gym. Before IF, i had a real problem eating at night which would throw me over my MFP calories. This cured that problem because i am now eating my calories later in the day. I just drink a lot of water in the morning. Fasting until noon really isn't that hard.
  • scottsteele333
    Options
    I Love IF, I have been doing it for about 3 months now and I plan to keep doing it for a long time. I just ran across a blog article about the subject and thought I should share, it puts IF in pretty simple terms and is pretty motivating as well.

http://stronganddedicated.com/
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I do 20/4 and have made great progress. I've lost like twenty-something pounds but gained 1.5" on my arms and 2.5" on my thighs from lifting on IF.
  • chrisdavey
    Options

I really think this highlights what I have found to be the most beneficial thing about IF; the realization that you don't HAVE to adhere to any specific meal timing whether it's eating every 2.5 hours on the dot or fasting for EXACTLY 16 hours or any other protocol out there.

It all comes down to just getting the right amount of food into your body for your goals. There are benefits to IF but as with anything else people get too bogged down in the details and obsess over it, which is the antithesis of what it is supposed to be about. IF gained popularity (namely the LG version) as an answer to the myth that you HAVE to eat a certain way, even if it doesn't suit your lifestyle.

Some days I end up fasting for 16 hours and some days it's only 12. The best take-away for me has been that I do enjoy working out in a fasted state or at least on a nearly empty stomach (sometimes I'll have a shake before working out). Basically I just eat when I'm hungry. Go figure. :)

Yep, that is exactly what I mean. Majoring in the minors will just get you chronically elevated cortisol :tongue:
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I used to do 19/5, got up, worked out, ate past 12 (when I had college sometimes I had a 21/3 fasting window) and finished eating at 5 then I was at work 6-10 most nights so didn't eat then. I lost 32lb while doing this, although to what extent IF actually helped me I am not certain. I believe it is a great way to stop cravings and help with discipline for eating as I physically knew if I ate outside that window no matter what it was, a tiny sweet or a big meal, I was cheating myself which is what has stopped me randomly snacking.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Completely off topic but your lats are absolutely insane haha! Makes your upper body like triple your waist!