Spin Class? Is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    Great advice! Especially if you are new, it's a good idea to come in a few minutes early so the instructor can help you set up your bike properly. It can make the difference between enjoying the class and coming away with a back ache.
  • AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Spinning. I went 3 times a week before I moved. I burned upwards of 6-800 calories per hour on my 170 frame. It also helps if you really mesh well with the instructor. I tried 3 different instructors before I found a favorite. I got sore the first time around but i found my favorite instructor and he properly taught us how to seat the bike and how to properly ride. :smile: good luck!
  • ediegram
    ediegram Posts: 40
    Options
    I love spin class. You get a great cardio work out not to mention good quad workout. This will probably be my cardio of choice because I had a total knee replacement in January.

I would suggest either buying the bike shorts, or buy one of those gel seats that you put on a regular bike. They are very easy to slip on / off. I take mine to class with me each time. Just don't forget it on the bike!

Edie
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I take a 6am spin class a couple of times a week and it is totally worth waking up early for. The hardest part is getting out of bed early. I set my alarm and then when it goes off it is like eh I am up anyway so let's do this!

I don't think you will ever go to a spin class and regret it...let's put it that way.
  • bjune5
    bjune5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Try it! You might love it like I do. I wish there were more spin classes at my gym.
    I bought a seat cover to help with the soreness.
    It burns crazy amount of calories!
  • nataliesales
    nataliesales Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do it! I go to a spin class at my university's gym 3x a week and I can already see a difference in how toned my legs are :) Depending on how hard you push yourself, you can really burn a ton of calories. I think I average around 600 calories per class.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If I'm gonna ride a bike I wanna go somewhere, dammit.
  • hmoffatt
    hmoffatt Posts: 51
    Options
    The size of your body has a direct impact on the calories you expend in a class. Someone who is light is going to burn fewer calories than someone who is heavy. For example, a 150-lb. person burns about 240 calories cycling at a moderate intensity for 30 minutes; a 200-lb. person burns about 320 calories under the same conditions.
    Actually that's not right, since cycling isn't a weight bearing activity and you're not riding up a real hill where gravity matters. Only your fitness (ie your efficiency) affects how many calories you burn.

I ride thousands of kilometres a year outside but I still like to go to spin classes when the weather is bad or when the days are too short to ride after work. With a good instructor it's great exercise, and I can burn 800 or more calories in an hour.
  • JanAlyssa825
    JanAlyssa825 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love spin! I genuinely look forward to it, and it's helped me work out on weekends, which I used to consider rest days. If the teacher is energetic and the music is good, the hour goes quickly. I even did it while on a cruise! Get a padded, removable seat cushion if it bothers you. For the first few classes, your butt will probably be sore, and your legs will feel like Jell-O, but eventually, you'll get used to it. It doesn't hurt at all anymore for me, and my legs have gotten really strong. It's also a great core workout because you have to hold yourself up in different positions. Sounds like you don't have anything to lose, since it's a free class!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My fiance spins 5-6 times a week for an hour and he not only loves it, but he's dropped major weight. We've recently talked about me joining a class to see if I can keep up (I have pretty bad asthma), but I'm buying a gel cushion first :glasses:
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    People love spin class, and I can understand the appeal. It's almost like being on a team. You have someone there motivating you. Its a dedicated hour of get in-get it done-get out...

But for my time and my money...I'd much rather buy a road bike and enjoy the scenery with my real friends. We just went biking for the first time together yesterday and it was awesome.

ETA: I rode only 15 miles, but didn't wear bike shorts...and now my cooter hurts. Just a friendly reminder...
  • NSMustanggirl
    NSMustanggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    LOVE spin class! At first, I thought that whoever invented it was a mean, sadistic SOB but after a couple of classes I came to love it! I actually miss it when I'm not able to go!
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Cardio is good for the heart, but that's about it. If you want to burn more fat and retain muscle, lift weights. I am a firm believer in it after joining MFP. Search topics on it to see success stories.
  • kayjaycee9
    kayjaycee9 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spinning. I go twice a week at least and sweat my butt off. :smile: I also do strength training on the other days just to keep an all around exercise routine.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    It's only worth if you are trying to lose weight, tone up, get fitter, improve your health or are into meeting energetic, supportive people. Otherwise, stay in bed :)

I love this comment! Spinning is very beneficial, granted it is super uncomfortable but I burn about 805 calories an hour according to my HRM, but I am still a pretty big girl. I love spinning because it is a great work out but easy on the joints!!!
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I spin 4 days a week and love it! I was sore in unmentionable places for the first couple days but that goes away. If you have a really good instructor , its a really fun class. I have burned up to 700 calories in an hour. I got into it when I got injured after a marathon and it was the only thing that get could me close to even feeling the same way when I ran. It does require some endurance but I've seen newbies do great at the class. If its at 5 am, I suggest getting up early enough to get in a good breakfast, lots of water and some stretching. Its a pretty high intensity class for a body that just woke up. Good luck!
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I like spinning. I bring a bike seat cover. I burn about 450 cal for the hour.
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    according to my HRM I burned 800 calories spinning on tuesday. I think thats something!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    if you enjoy it.. do it! so hard to find an exercise to enjoy.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    what is spinning? I've heard it mentioned here lots but have no clue what it is....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!