How fast can you run a mile?

Options

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I started running in February - I could not run a mile then.

So far my fastest mile is 11:45 (an interval run).

I share your goals and I think it's awesome that you've set such a lofty goal.

There is a saying, "You hit where you aim" - Good luck to you! :drinker:
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    Also, I have very very different times between outdoor running in my neighborhood and the times I get on the treadmill at the gym.

Faster or slower?

I seem to be a bit faster outside, but I expected the opposite.
  • bogdansoactar
    bogdansoactar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    8.17 for me.

There are some apps for android that allow you to set goals on distance and speed which I've found handy.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I started running last fall and ran 6:47 in my first 1 mile race in January. My goal is to run under 6:00 in my second one mile race next month.

January was on a track, next month will be a street race.

That being said, my focus is on endurance. I hope to run my first marathon in October (less than a year after I started running). Right now I am following a Hal Higdon Marathon plan and would like to finish under 3:50

Update!
    I recorded a 5:46 mile in a street race tonight! I just started running last fall and am very happy with improving my speed by one minute since January!

I have done relatively little speed work. I would like to reiterate what I wrote above. Focus on endurance and speed will come in time!
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just started today, my mile walk pace is 22 minutes. Of course as time goes on and I lose weight that time will decrease. But the important thing is I got off my butt and out the door.
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    My update :)

11:30 on Monday.

-15 seconds in 18 days. I can live with that. :)
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    7:30 per mile is my average 5k pace ... as for just a mile ... I've never ran just a single mile before and clocked it.
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think fastest was like 5:55 or something
    3miles = 18min

Back when I started I was doing sprints every other day
    I actually trained by .5 of a mile if I wanted a 8minute mile I wouldnt even run past .5 of a mile until I did that around 3min then the other half I could kinda jog it out to hit those 8min .. then sprinted .75 for a while till I hit around 4.5min and jogged the rest.... till I got my mile as fast as I could..
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    8:30 ish is the best I can do if I really push it. That's probably as fast as I'll ever get and I'm cool with that. I hate running too much to push for more.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It really depends what's chasing me!
  • SoulEater7
    SoulEater7 Posts: 31
    Options
    Running outside on relatively flat ground, just over 8 minutes but I don't train for running at the moment. much quicker on the treadmill I'd imagine.
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My best was 5 Minutes 7.

I was young and lightweight back then though.

dont know if i could attempt it now.

im built for speed and power not distance.
  • Alatariel2002
    Alatariel2002 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That would depend on the size of the bear that is behind me.

Seriously...I'm doing good just walking a mile in under 25 minutes. but one day...I will run
  • kateusher16
    kateusher16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have only just got back into the gym, i can run a mile in 12 minutes (on the treadmill), thats gone down from about 12.30 :)
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My personal best so far is 6:21 minutes. I agree that focusing on distance and endurance is best, as speed will most likely come with time.

woah that's amazing!
    my best is 7:28, but i don't train. i probably should...
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    That would depend on the size of the bear that is behind me.

Seriously...I'm doing good just walking a mile in under 25 minutes. but one day...I will run

^hahaha "the size of the bear" :')
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I want to train myself to be a fast runner. So far I can run 1 mile in 15 minutes if I dont stop, and run 1 mile in 13 minutes if I do stop for breaks.
    My goal is to do 5-6 minutes a mile. How fast are some of you? How did you train yourself to do this? And how long did it take?

are you training specifically to run just *one* mile at that speed or are you looking to run longer distances at that sustained pace?

your training needs will vary depending on what you want to achieve.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    My average is 9.5/10 min miles but I recently ran a 1 mile race and got circa 8.5 :drinker: Would love to be faster but I suppose that will just come with time and hard work xx
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on who is chasing me or what i am running too lol. Normally about a 12 min mile but my PR was 10.33 a couple weeks ago on a 5k
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Somewhere in the realm of 8 minutes.

But then again you can only go so fast in a wheelchair. At a certain speed everything starts to shake violently and you simply can't push it beyond that point.