How many 'exercise' calories a day do you NOT log?

Options
I notice a lot of people here logging things like "walking up stairs", "falling over" and "thinking". Some people really will log anything to make themselves feel better. But how many calories do you NOT log?

Through work and walking to the station and back etc etc I use about 200 cals a day. I also do a 30 min abs workout every day and strength training every 2-3 days, none of which I log. I only log cardio. So that means there's about 300+ cals a day I don't log.

Anyone else work similarly?

Replies

• fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I only log my workouts and activity not part of my daily routine. I don't log my walking that is my commute or all the stairs I walk up!
  • chasecohen
    chasecohen Posts: 12
    Options
    Don't log any of the following:

* My weight sessions (3 times a week)
    * Walks if they are under 2 miles
    * Ab workouts

If you set your activity level right, you shouldn't have to log the small things :) I don't log weights as there's no really consistent way to tell how much I'm burning.
  • danglewtf
    danglewtf Posts: 29
    Options
    I only log conscious efforts to exercise. Things like walking the 3 km round trip to pick up schoolies when possible, c25k, treadmill, and circuit training. All the other stuff I would assume is part of my "lightly active" activity profile.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I only log conscious efforts to exercise. Things like walking the 3 km round trip to pick up schoolies when possible, c25k, treadmill, and circuit training. All the other stuff I would assume is part of my "lightly active" activity profile.

I have mine set to 'sedentary' because I eat calories back.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter what people log? As long as they are happy with what they are logging and it's working for them who really cares.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I don't log any of it/eat any back. I eat 1700 calories a day, give or take, and let the rest fall where it may.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Seems to be a common theme - I only log my 'additional' cardio. I am trying to change my way of life so I don't log the things I want to keep in my everyday life. I also sync my fitbit at bedtime so I don't mistakenly eat all those back. I do log my abs only so I can remember what I did and make sure what day I am on in my 30-day crunch challenge.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter what people log? As long as they are happy with what they are logging and it's working for them who really cares.

I didn't start this topic to criticise other peoples' methods, purely to observe how different people work. It's you that's assumed an issue with it.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I used to get the bus to work every day, started walking and starting logging it (2 miles each way). Maybe I should stop now... but when the winter comes around I will probably bus again. Hard to know.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've allowed for exercise in my daily allowance, so I don't really log extra cardio.

I amend calories downwards so 100 cals=1. I assess net calories and time spent on cardio per week.
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    I only log my actual workouts...I hate when people log saying they burned 1078 calories "preparing dinner" Did you have to go out and catch/kill everything you made for dinner? Sheesh!
  • Sailfindragon
    Sailfindragon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I only log my workouts, long walks, treadmill, biking etc. Do not log everyday activities.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I log the stuff I never did before I made the decision to be healthier until it becomes normal... i.e walking to and from supermarket ( as I used to catch bus there and taxi back) some cooking not all as now I am making from scratch and its those meals that I log( before I ate a lot of pre-made foods) I don't log all exercise as if I don't feel like I worked hard it don't go on here
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I only log my intentional exercise, just the gym or maybe going for a walk. I could log my job at last check 4kilo's ago which burns somewhere in the vacinity of 4500 calories on an average 9 hour nonstop day as a Storeman/Forklift Driver according to my Heart Rate Monitor i wore a few times, but i don't and it doesn't seem to make any difference anyway or if it does it's miniscule.
  • JanetP124
    JanetP124 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Fitbit logs for me, so I really don't consciously log anything.

I've been doing some at home resistance training and I don't log it. I probably should - not for the calorie tracking but to keep a record.
  • NJD2885
    NJD2885 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I only log my actual workouts and i don't eat back exercise calories
  • johannypoo
    johannypoo Posts: 13
    Options
    I pretty much just log cardio. I don't log daily activities, or strength training.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options

I have mine set to 'sedentary' because I eat calories back.

Me too! :D
    I keep mine set for "Sedentary" as well, because I don't have consistency in my regular (non-intentional exercise) activities. I then log extra strenuous efforts, such as big job cleaning tasks or gardening/yard work tasks. I don't add normal, everyday cleaning and chores, like washing dishes, making my bed, etc...

This has been really working for me since the start, since I'm losing about a pound every 5 days or so. If your activity setting is "Sedentary", that setting assumes sitting much of the day. If my job requirement, on any given day, is that I must drive a long distance, or that I must do a load of computer work, I may indeed be sitting most of a day.
    However, if I am unloading/loading boxes, assembling tech products or furniture, etc...I am burning a lot of extra calories. I sure in the heck am going to log those and eat many of them back.

I think it is funny that so many people, in this community, seem bothered by folks adding their work tasks, "not specifically exercise" efforts to their exercise diary. I am unconcerned about how my fellow MFP members work toward their goals, as long as their method is working for them...more power to them! :) If they are active and burning calories, why should those not be documented and accounted for in their diaries? If they consistently lose weight using this method, what's it to anybody else?
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't log walking unless I walked for at least an hour nonstop. I don't log short dance practice I often do at home (less than 30 minutes won't get logged and I can't log every time I hop around a bit). I don't log cleaning or cooking. And of course I don't log sex because that's just gross. Any daily activity basically...
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise calories. The methods used by any and all of the gadgets are simply too way off to bother.
    It also takes extra time to do and expense for said gadgets.

for me, not worth it. I'm very active so account for that in an average way to work out my TDEE, which ends up amounting to about the same thing but with less effort.

I can then test that TDEE over a few weeks and can use that as a base from then on.
    Done once and just log macros from then on.