I ate more to lose weight - i put on and now can't lose

Options

Replies

• DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    increasing the intensity and variety of you workouts is key, 1500 cal is nothing when your smashing a HIIT session
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'4''
    Weight: 153
    I was a steady 140-145lbs for years until I tried to 'fix' my metabolism a few months ago. I did all the tests and found my TDEE and ate 20% under it. I gained. I haven't cheated and have weighed everything.
    I do have polycystic ovaries which causes a few issues too.
    I am now eating around 1300 calories a day. I'm going to try and be stricter with myself and stick below 1300 and also am going to try to eat primal.

Well your BMR to maintain is 1473 so if you have been eating at 1200 for years, it means you have been undereating all this time. According to your posts you put the 5lb weight before you upped your calories. It seems more that it is hormonal (3 cup sizes) and stress (planning wedding, selling house) and increase in exercise. Pick a diet plan and stick to that, try to relax and sleep a lot, and do more ab exercises. You have not been overeating that much in order to put the weight around your inch and stomach.
  • maz2469
    maz2469 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the finite details. I upped my cals a bit which made me feel alot better energy wise. I did initially put on a bit of weight but to be honest I'm not sure it was a bad thing. however, i then was moving house and cut down on exercise as well as had a bad time comfort eating as moved away from my man.

Perhaps you're not be losing now because you've upped your exercise? muscle weighs more than fat?

Just a thought...
  • melaniejoy82
    melaniejoy82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    increasing the intensity and variety of you workouts is key, 1500 cal is nothing when your smashing a HIIT session

Funny you should say that....I've started doing HIIT classes on Saturday mornings and got my first hour long kettlebell class tonight. :-)
  • Shell30Harrison
    Shell30Harrison Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diet and exercise regime, I'm pretty impressed, looks like a healthy plan !

Taking the last week as an example, you seem to eat over your fat quota, so it looks like if you cut out the nuts and keep an eye on the oil you'll be where you want to be. Going over on the fat quota is possible the worse bit to go over on !

Good luck :)
  • melaniejoy82
    melaniejoy82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diet and exercise regime, I'm pretty impressed, looks like a healthy plan !

Taking the last week as an example, you seem to eat over your fat quota, so it looks like if you cut out the nuts and keep an eye on the oil you'll be where you want to be. Going over on the fat quota is possible the worse bit to go over on !

Good luck :)

Good plan, thanks!! :-)
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    bush_doing_it_wrong_1.jpg

ETA: Clearly there's a miscalulation of your energy needs and/or your consumption. More than likely both. Plus this method is normally only recommended if you've hit a stalling point on a low calorie approach. Re-run your numbers, weigh all your food, measure your exercise as accurately as possible and it works. The laws of thermodynamics apply to everyone.

THIS. I ate more for 8 weeks, gained 12 pounds, then cut my calories. After a few weeks of bouncing around, I realized I was still eating too much for my activity. I set MFP to lightly active, giving me 1640 base calories. I eat back exercise calories instead of reaching for a solid number. Since I changed this, I have lost 2 pounds in two weeks. I found that I was overeating when reaching for that number. Eating back calories makes me feel like I'm getting just enough each day, so it works for me. Plus I'm logging more accurately.

They call it "Eat more to weigh less" but it doesn't really just mean "eat more." It means eat more than your BMR, but less than your TDEE.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I was a steady 140-145lbs for years until I tried to 'fix' my metabolism a few months ago. I did all the tests and found my TDEE and ate 20% under it. I gained. I haven't cheated and have weighed everything.
    I am now eating around 1300 calories a day. I'm going to try and be stricter with myself and stick below 1300 and also am going to try to eat primal.

Your BMR is 1401, according to the St Mifflin-Jeor formula. Long as you don't eat below that, maybe a range of 1400-1700 (depending on exercise)... you should be okay. Eating below BMR is what led you to eat more in the first place right? At any rate, good luck.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    If you read that "Eat more to lose" thread..no one is every losing!!! It is just a nice idea. Poor thing.. it is so hard to lose right after you've gained if you were dieting before.

Just relax.. set you calories where they need to be on mfp and get back to it.. it will come off.
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a healthy fat. Fat does not make you gain weight. Calories do. Nuts are GOOD for you, as long as they aren't salted. Lay off the "nuts are bad" mantra.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have 2 people in my friends list that tried the "eat more to lose more" and ended up going back to lower calories. Just follow the MFP plan and you should be fine. Don't starve yourself. Just log your food and your exercise and eat what MFP tells you to.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    you can't lose weight and fix your metabolism at the same time.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

That is crucial information. PCOS might require you to eat at a lower level than the standard calculators (including MFP's) will give you.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    OP, you might ask your question in this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

You'll get knowledgeable advice there. Make sure to provide all the information you gave here, including the PCOS bit.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    you can't lose weight and fix your metabolism at the same time.

THIS!

The problem with all of these people saying that they gained weight and then went back to eating below their BMR is a lack of patience. It takes several months (if not longer) for most people to fix the damage they have done with prolonged periods of undereating.

I know it's cliche, but, are you going to eat 1300 calories or less for the rest of your life? A lot of people have this idea that they'll get to their goal weight/size and magically be able to eat "at maintenance" and maintain their losses. The problem is that if you are in a state of semi-starvation to get to your goal you are going to experience adaptive thermogenesis, and what you think your maintenance is will likely have you gaining weight.

What then? Go back to 1300 calories just to maintain? That hardly sounds like the life for me.

If you want to really make progress you need to think about your HEALTH and back away from the extreme dieting for a while.

Whomever said that there is nobody losing weight in the EMTWL group is terribly wrong. Search the forums and you'll find a ton of people who have seen great success with it, including myself. I ate 1200-1300 calories for YEARS, and it did work for a long time, until one day it didn't. Suddenly I was unable to even maintain on that amount and was gaining massive amounts of weight if I ever deviated from that plan... to the tune of 30 pounds in about 6 months. Don't think that I was giving up and just eating whatever either; I was still doing hours of cardio, lifting HEAVY 4 times per week, eating "clean" and doing all the 'right' things.

Now having done a reset and eating at TDEE for a while, I have been eating in a slight deficit at 1750 calories, not doing cardio, and still lifting (and hitting personal records every single workout) and am losing about a .8 to 1 pound of FAT each week. My weight is going down slowly, but the inches are coming off like crazy. The best part is that I'm healthy and I feel good again! I got my period back after THREE YEARS without it, I eat more and I really enjoy it (I regularly have chocolate, macaroni and cheese, ice cream, enchiladas, etc.) and the nagging injuries have healed up.

You'll probably take this all with a grain of salt, but I promise you that patience has it's rewards. All of these other people who are jumping in and saying that EMTWL is bull**** are doing it wrong; it takes time, it takes patience, and it takes effort. You have to calculate your requirements accurately and adjust them as needed, and then STICK TO THE PLAN in order to see things work.
  • JossFit
    Options
    bush_doing_it_wrong_1.jpg

ETA: Clearly there's a miscalulation of your energy needs and/or your consumption. More than likely both. Plus this method is normally only recommended if you've hit a stalling point on a low calorie approach. Re-run your numbers, weigh all your food, measure your exercise as accurately as possible and it works. The laws of thermodynamics apply to everyone.

THIS. I ate more for 8 weeks, gained 12 pounds, then cut my calories. After a few weeks of bouncing around, I realized I was still eating too much for my activity. I set MFP to lightly active, giving me 1640 base calories. I eat back exercise calories instead of reaching for a solid number. Since I changed this, I have lost 2 pounds in two weeks. I found that I was overeating when reaching for that number. Eating back calories makes me feel like I'm getting just enough each day, so it works for me. Plus I'm logging more accurately.

They call it "Eat more to weigh less" but it doesn't really just mean "eat more." It means eat more than your BMR, but less than your TDEE.

^ See? Another fine example right there. It can work if you do it right, and the benefits encompass so much more than just a number on the scale.
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Timing of you meals DOES matter, because if your body is digesting food while you sleep, it isnt focusing on sleep. Lack of sleep is a huge contributor to weight gain. I didnt mean that there was anything necessarily wrong with eating at 8, only if she was also trying to go to bed shortly after that because it would affect her sleep cycles.

Its not perpetuating myths, its perpetuating what research shows.

And I said to lay off the nuts, because while I LOVE healthy fats, people's bodies react to different foods different ways. Seriously. My friend suffered no noticeable problems from nuts, but her weightloss suffered negatively from her eating them. When she stopped she lost weight. I have no problems with nuts. but if you are stalling out its worth re-evaluating some of your food.

Why do people get so aggressive on this website?
  • JossFit
    Options
    Timing of you meals DOES matter, because if your body is digesting food while you sleep, it isnt focusing on sleep. Lack of sleep is a huge contributor to weight gain. I didnt mean that there was anything necessarily wrong with eating at 8, only if she was also trying to go to bed shortly after that because it would affect her sleep cycles.

Please link to this 'research'...
    And I said to lay off the nuts, because while I LOVE healthy fats, people's bodies react to different foods different ways. Seriously. My friend suffered no noticeable problems from nuts, but her weightloss suffered negatively from her eating them. When she stopped she lost weight. I have no problems with nuts. but if you are stalling out its worth re-evaluating some of your food.

Your friend's case is not everyone's... N =/= 1, know what I mean? When people perceive advice given (especially something that sounds that rediculous) as someone touting absolutes, it can be irritating. There is so much misinformation here it boggles the mind.

If your friend suffered no noticeable problem from nuts other than a lack of weightloss which was then remedied by excluding nuts, one could just argue that your friend cut some calories and lost weight. There are too many possible variables here and one person's perception of something that was effecting them (even if it wasn't at all related) does not translate to everyone.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Well in their defense, there's a lot of misinformation that goes around. So sometimes if you say something without explaining, people jump to the wrong conclusions. I think people just get defensive when they want the truth out there :) Especially on hot-button topics like EMTWL.

To the OP: it does work but the TDEE method needs patience above all else. If you don't think you can handle it then by all means go back to what was working.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This is simply not true. I eat my biggest meal of the day within 1 - 1.5 hours of going to bed every night. I have no trouble sleeping or losing weight. I have energy for a stressful detailed job in data analytics and 45-60 min of moderate to intense exercise daily. I've been eating this way for years. Decades in fact.

Eating late can interupt sleep if you have reflux issues from lying down with a full stomach.