5 Months.. 50 lbs Gone

Options
jmom376
jmom376 Posts: 234 Member
A little bit about me. I am 45 years old, happily married, and the mother of a 20 year old. I am 5'8" and spent the first 30 years of my life weighing less that 150 lbs. Then as I got older, the weight kept on creeping up. During the last 15 years I had joined Weight Watchers several times and then stopped for one reason or another.

By January 10, 2013, I found myself weighting 272 lbs and was extremely unhappy and unhealthy, but with no hope that I could make a change that could stick. Then on January 11, 2013 I woke up with a whole new attitude. I have no clue what happened while I was sleeping, but I woke up ready for a change. We have a health care clinic in our building that offers a free Weight Management program. As soon as I got to work, I went and made an appointment for that day. They suggested that I use My Fitness Pal as a tool to track my calories and other macros. I joined that day, but it took me a week to really figure out the tool and to start tracking everything. I used all of the knowledge that I gained through Weight Watchers as the foundation of my new healthy lifestyle (nope--I am not on a diet this time :). Summary: I eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, lean protein, whole grain, and water. Plus chocolate every day :) I also walk at least 30 minutes every day and do 45-60 minutes on the elliptical 3 X's a week. My next goal is to introduce strength training into my weekly routine.

The success part: As of June 11, 2013--In 5 months, I have lost 50lbs and now weight 222 lbs :) My goal is to lose another 50 lbs and I feel that I am on the right path to do that successfully.

Now for the before/after pictures..

December 2012

2mxh6j4.jpg

June 2013

1zebnme.jpg

Replies

• kizzyb1977
    kizzyb1977 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Great job!! You look great! :-)
  • wendyrap2
    wendyrap2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    felicidades gran trabajo!!! me encanta el cabello de tu hijo!!!
  • itsmetj
    itsmetj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your great success!
  • jesuison
    jesuison Posts: 34
    Options
    That's wonderful! Quite a success already.
  • sphomphak
    sphomphak Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    awesome job you look great!!
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! You are a woman with a mission and I am sure you'll succeed. Congratulations.
  • reginambyram3923
    Options
    Great job! you look amazing
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    SO very motivating !! Going to bost up my eliptical training today - I've only satrted it yesterday . So my goal is 50 lbs by November lol I want to be just like you !
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    you look like a completely different person! Good job!

also, I fiercely love your son's hair.... gorgeous.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ten pounds a month is sweet! Nicely done!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    also, I commend you for eating chocolate daily. I feel that was a key to my success. Never once did I have to obsess over chocolate and the things I "couldn't have" because I could...in moderation.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    You are doing amazing. Just as your shirt in the after picture shows...keep on inspiring others with your success :)
  • rnprincess
    rnprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I couldn't see the pictures, but what a great success story. Very motivational! Like you in December I made a committment and joined a weight loss program with the goal of getting fit by the time I hit 50 which is December 2013. Six months later I am down 44 pounds with the goal of losing 56 more. Sp almost half way there, but I am feeling fabulous, my routine is Zumba, aerobics classes four days a week and walking the other three days. I clock in an average of 12,000 steps a day on my FITBIT. I feel so much better, and hope to reach my goal.

Thanks for your encouragement and cheers to you!
  • HawkTyme3000
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • bevycurtis
    Options
    Awesome :) Read your story and it's inspiring. I am 33 and have lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks. I hope I can have your success :):smile:
  • Azkadelia
    Azkadelia Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That is great! Thanks for the inspiration.
  • culkin1
    culkin1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Nice. Keep kicking butt. Isn't elliptical great? I love it. You burn a lot and it doesn't kill my knees like jogging used to.
  • jmom376
    jmom376 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! It definitely feels good to be able to make such a dramatic change and to be able to see the results.

I think the #1 thing that has helped me be successful is to determine at the very beginning what food I wouldn't be able to live without and incorporate into my daily diet (chocolate). I feel that if I gave up something that I truly loved, it would be very hard for me to maintain this new lifestyle. Also, no foods are completely off limits for me. If I really want something, I budget my calories or exercise more to make room for it.

The elliptical is definitely my favorite cardio equipment at the gym. I love that you can burn so many calories in a short period of time and it doesn't hurt my knees.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I try to be as supportive as time permits.

PS: thank you for the compliments on my sons hair. It definitely fits his personality.
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Not only do you look great but you look very healthy and happy :)
  • DUCKIEGYRL
    DUCKIEGYRL Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Love it Awesome
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!