I gained a pound this week, starvation mode?

Options

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a small child or a midget, eat at least 1200. Ok?

you gonna offer the girl some advice or just go with this snarky retort stuff?
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 8", narrow build, start weight 136lbs, now 133lbs, goal 126lbs. I track food every day and weigh the food where necessary. Workouts are one HIIT session w personal trainer where I am dripping with sweat, 1 body pump, 1 step, 1spin then 2 runs and another gym session. I exercise 6-7 days a week. Prior to dieting 3 weeks ago I exercised 4 times a week and some sessions not that intense so I have really upped the ante now. I want to tone up, I have major muffin top at moment.

With all that exercise I would be eating around 2000 and still be losing. You need to eat more and also ignore the scalers and go bu your measurements. You have a PT so ask them to measure your body fat.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is not an actual thing. Just a marketing ploy. There is a reason starving people look like skeletons with skin on them, they are starving.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    A fluctuation of just 1lb is not enough to go on, it's probably water weight.

However, eating just 1000 cals when you only have 10lbs to lose is not a good idea. Aiming to lose quickly usually results in the weight returning just as fast when you increase your cals or slip back ino eating what you were previously. You also risk losing lean muscle mass rather than just fat, so you might weigh less but your BF% will remain about the same or even increase proportionally to your weight.

In the very least you should be eating back your exercise cals on top of the 1000 cals you're currently eating.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 8", narrow build, start weight 136lbs, now 133lbs, goal 126lbs. I track food every day and weigh the food where necessary. Workouts are one HIIT session w personal trainer where I am dripping with sweat, 1 body pump, 1 step, 1spin then 2 runs and another gym session. I exercise 6-7 days a week. Prior to dieting 3 weeks ago I exercised 4 times a week and some sessions not that intense so I have really upped the ante now. I want to tone up, I have major muffin top at moment.

You DEFINITELY need to be eating more! You have so little to lose that your goal should be about 1/2 pound a week. Figure out what your BMR is and make sure you NET that every day. That means eating back your exercise calories, assuming you have reasonably accurate data for what you burn.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

STOP DIETING. RIGHT NOW!

Eat at maintenance or SLIGHTLY below, get on a heavy lifting program, get adequate protein. You will recomp your body. Upping your intense workouts and eating extremely low calories is only going to cause you to lose LBM.

I can guarantee if you lift heavy for 8 weeks, with a little moderate cardio tossed in only if you want to, eat almost maintenance and at least 100g protein per day, that you will like your body at 133lbs WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than what you're going to see at 126lbs doing crazy intense Cardio workouts... because literally everything you are doing right now is cardio... yes even the Body Pump. Protein and lifting maintain muscle or at the very least minimize loss of muscle while eating below maintenance calories to a certain extent. You're constantly eating below BMR and aren't going to get the "toned" results you are looking for by going down that path. You're going to be low weight with a high BF% still.

Your body is having a wonderful time dining on your muscle mass while you are eating at a nearly 1000calorie deficit.

I'm 5'8, 165lbs, 25% bodyfat, down from 198lbs, 30+% bodyfat and I've done it by eating at least 1600, usually closer to 1900 cals a day and most of my workouts being heavy lifting. Also, check into your goal weight, 126 is on the low end for women of our height.
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You don 't eat nearly enough.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    You're not in starvation mode. You just need to poop.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I'm eating about the same as you (I'm not working out quite so much at the moment though) and have been steadily losing 3lb a week until last week when I lost just 1lb and started to worry about 'starvation mode' but I've now put it down to my monthly cycle as now I'm back to losing again at the same rate. Is it possible it could be the same cause for you?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a small child or a midget, eat at least 1200. Ok?

you gonna offer the girl some advice or just go with this snarky retort stuff?

I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was trying to be helpful. But here is more info.

You did not gain 1 actual pound unless you ate 3,500 calories over your TDEE which you clearly could not have done if you have only been eating 1000 calories a day. Weight fluctuates, especially for women. Don't use only the scale to measure progress, take pictures and use your measuring tape.

Educate yourself on BMR and TDEE and learn that eating less than 1200 calories is not healthy.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The starvation mode that people keep talking about is the way our bodies were designed. I prefer to call it famine mode. If a famine occurs or think countries where people only have a half cup of rice a day to keep them alive, the body will adjust and cut way back on energy burning to try to keep from starving to death--hence, metabolism crashes and you do not lose weight. Keep in mind that the body needs about 1200-1400 calories a day to function. I am talking heartbeat, breathing, and other bodily functions. That is the BMR--how many calories a day we need to survive if we were in a coma. That is why you hear of people who have eating disorders dying of heart attacks--they finally did not have enough energy to keep their heart beating.

Needless to say, I believe in famine mode
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    You're not in starvation mode BUT you're not eating enough. Eat 1200 mnimum plus your exercise calories, or set MFP to very active and losing 0.5 lb a week and go by that.

As for the added weight its what others have said - water and poop. Or just being female.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm eating about the same as you (I'm not working out quite so much at the moment though) and have been steadily losing 3lb a week until last week when I lost just 1lb and started to worry about 'starvation mode' but I've now put it down to my monthly cycle as now I'm back to losing again at the same rate. Is it possible it could be the same cause for you?

Are you 200lbs overweight? No.

Do yourself a favor.... cut it back to 1lb/week at most. Unless you want to get to your goal weight and realize that your body doesn't look like you thought it would at that weight and think that you need to continue to lose.

Eat, lift, run if you feel like it, and be patient. A lot of times slow and steady does win the race on actually getting to a point where you are no longer battling to stay at a certain weight and you can just maintain your goal body.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options

STOP DIETING. RIGHT NOW!

Eat at maintenance or SLIGHTLY below, get on a heavy lifting program, get adequate protein. You will recomp your body. Upping your intense workouts and eating extremely low calories is only going to cause you to lose LBM.

I can guarantee if you lift heavy for 8 weeks, with a little moderate cardio tossed in only if you want to, eat almost maintenance and at least 100g protein per day, that you will like your body at 133lbs WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than what you're going to see at 126lbs doing crazy intense Cardio workouts... because literally everything you are doing right now is cardio... yes even the Body Pump. Protein and lifting maintain muscle or at the very least minimize loss of muscle while eating below maintenance calories to a certain extent. You're constantly eating below BMR and aren't going to get the "toned" results you are looking for by going down that path. You're going to be low weight with a high BF% still.

Your body is having a wonderful time dining on your muscle mass while you are eating at a nearly 1000calorie deficit.

I'm 5'8, 165lbs, 25% bodyfat, down from 198lbs, 30+% bodyfat and I've done it by eating at least 1600 cals a day and most of my workouts being heavy lifting. Also, check into your goal weight, 126 is on the low end for women of our height.

Sounds like you found a smart woman to give you advice -- I'd listen.
  • Jennms85
    Jennms85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 a day and eating half my exercise calories back for 5 months, lost a ton of weight but haven't budged in about a month. Increased my intake to 1500 about a week ago and lost 1.5 pounds. I don't log that I've lost weight unless I weigh in at that weight or lower for 3 consecutive days so I know it's weight and not water. Try increasing your calories for a week or two and see if it changes.
  • theresaeberhardt
    Options
    Actually you need to eat to lose weight. Your body is conserving. You said you are working out hard, maybe you are not getting enough calories to support you metabolism. Try to relax and focus on how your clothes fit, how you feel not just the scale that is only one piece to the puzzle. If you are working out hard you may need closer to 1400-1600 calories/day. The mind is a very powerful thing and my trainer told me about a study or an article where people worked out and did not lose weight but then went on vacation and did because they were so intense about the weight loss when not o vacation they concluded it was that aspect that kept the weight on. Keep going strong it will come.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    A pound? You sure you didn't have 1 glass of water too many maybe?
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Don't see any water intake, are you drinking plenty of water?
  • mustang6411
    mustang6411 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    :smile: Depends on what you may have eaten or not eaten or exercised or did you try a new exercise? All these things change our weight. Try not to get caught up on 1 lb, refocus this week and try again this week. I have learned through this weight loss process that some weeks will be better than others. WE will have up and downs we just to refocus and get back on track.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Everyone says "starvation mode myth" but it makes me wonder why people with 700-900 Net calories per day are always asking why they aren't losing weight like the OP but women and men eating 1500+ lose consistently...