Customer went too far.

Options
So today at work this VERY overweight woman came into the office and started chatting with me and another girl in the office while she was waiting for an estimate on her car. (I work at a car dealership.) We're having a pretty safe conversation about the weather when SUDDENLY she announces to me that I look like a skeleton and no man will ever want me unless I put on some weight. Then she points to my co-worker who is about 50 pounds overweight and says "Now that's a woman that will go places in the world. She takes CARE of her body."

The audacity of what she said made me want to scream and/or punch her. No offense to my co-worker but she eat fast food twice a day and is totally sedentary. I have put years of painstaking effort into my health and physique, and it was hard not to be flabbergasted and offended by this woman.

Anyone else have an experience with a customer who was totally out of line?

Replies

• missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Wow. What a b*tch.

...But don't take her seriously at all.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I think I would have replied with a smile and "you do have a sense of humor, don't you?" And then walked away.
    She has a distorted view of what a normal weight looks like. Don't like it get to you. You look great the way you are!:flowerforyou:
  • sbatz111
    sbatz111 Posts: 35
    Options
    What a nasty thing to say! Picking on someone who one assumes to be too thin is not really very different for picking on someone who one assumes to be too fat, though. Both are hurtful and inappropriate. She was probably bullied for most of her life, and is taking her pain out on you. It's not fair, it's not right, but good for you for taking care of yourself, and don't let her get to you!
  • ClevaFeatha
    Options
    i understand how you feel completly. I was 120 pounds and have always have a bit of a pooch but nothing to much and now at 184 (more of a pooch) I get asked multiple times a month..." are you pregnant?" "how far along are you" "whats your due date" and the level of emotion that runs through me rather it be rage, humiliation, and horror all I can do it look at them with a blank expression while im trying to grasp that they just said that to me and firmly say NO! It hurts and its frustrating so I completly understand.:flowerforyou:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    All kinds of people in the world.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    That is not cool. :(
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I know not to let it get to me but this woman was so ARROGANT. She kept telling me to Google her insisting that she was some kind of celebrity. All I found was a profile on a dating website lol.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    What did you say to her?
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    It's all jealousy on her part. Nothing more
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have keloid scars on my chest and you would not BELIEVE how many people actually ask me about them. While I was a bankers/teller at my previous job I got:

"Do those things on your chest bother you?" Nope, but they must bother you b****

"Were you in a car accident?" Yes and all the damage was.. In my chest?

"What ARE those things on your chest?" They are tiny alien pods getting ready to burst and take over the world.

"Did you have dermals in there?" Yes. Placed sporadically on my CHEST.

Amazing the things people think they have the right to say to you just because you're clocked in huh?
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    That is crazy!

I've had lots of obnoxious customers but nothing like that.

I'm sure her opinion is not what ANYONE else is thinking- and I know you have a good confidence level in yourself. Brush it off and move on.

You can always make it an inside joke with your co-worker to laugh about later.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    For some reason people think it's okay to comment on your weight if you're thin/fit....and yet it's not okay to say anything when you're overweight?? I don't get it, and yet is happens all the time!

I think people (especially overweight people - b/c I was the same way 45 lbs ago), have a distorted view on what "healthy" is. If someone comments on my weight, I just say, "Actually I'm at a healthy weight according the BMI", and then hopefully they leave it alone!!

But yes, I think the customer definitely went too far!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    For some reason people think it's okay to comment on your weight if you're thin/fit....and yet it's not okay to say anything when you're overweight?? I don't get it, and yet is happens all the time!

*lol*

People, think it's ok to comment on fat people too.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Yeah funny how that works, isn't it?!

The customer was probably jealous and says that kind of stuff to feel better about herself. Based on your pics you look great and not like a skeleton at all.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    That is so rude! I bet she wouldn't have liked it if you commented on her weight. I wonder what would make her bring that up at all?! Maybe she is jealous?
  • Sarahland
    Sarahland Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have keloid scars on my chest and you would not BELIEVE how many people actually ask me about them. While I was a bankers/teller at my previous job I got:

"Do those things on your chest bother you?" Nope, but they must bother you b****

"Were you in a car accident?" Yes and all the damage was.. In my chest?

"What ARE those things on your chest?" They are tiny alien pods getting ready to burst and take over the world.

"Did you have dermals in there?" Yes. Placed sporadically on my CHEST.

Amazing the things people think they have the right to say to you just because you're clocked in huh?

I have keloids all over my upper arms/back/and shoulders. If I wear a tank top, complete strangers grab at me to figure out "what's wrong" with me. It takes all my strength to hold my tongue. It took me years to be corageous enough to even wear sleeveless shirts in public because people are so damn rude.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    That was way out of line. She might actually believe it, though. I remember reading a news item (so: not necessarily reliable) summarizing research indicating that people whose social circle consisted mostly of overweight people tended to think that it was normal. No time to look for a source right now. I'm also reminded of the sociologist Rodney Stark's research on why people convert to cults with weird beliefs. He found that they initially rejected the beliefs, but if friends or family were in the cult and kept repeating those beliefs, eventually they didn't seem that weird.
  • itsHealthy
    itsHealthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    some people just aren't worth wasting the brain cells on...don't give them any more importance than they deserve.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I work with a woman who is about a foot taller than my five feet even, and who is massively overweight too. She is a bully. She bullies people all the time in every way. She constantly gives me clothing, saying that it's too big for her but it will probably fit me. (I always take it, because I know how to sew and make alterations.) When others at work started commenting on my weight loss, she just couldn't give me credit. She said, "Yes, you've lost some, but you gained a lot since I first met you." (I hadn't.) Now she talks about the 20 pounds she's dropped since the beginning of the school year, but nobody can see it. I think people like that are jealous of those of us who have the willpower and determination to take care of ourselves. I believe she bullies out of insecurity and truthfully, I feel sad for her.