How much fruit is really OK?

Options
2»

Replies

• lynnsf
    lynnsf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There is a great deal of confusion about this issue. My husband and I have been debating it.

http://www.eatingrules.com/2011/05/introduction-to-sugar/

It seems to me like the scientists are saying sugar is sugar. However, milk, fruits and vegetables may have other redeeming nutrients and are better for you because of that than refined sugar. So we should try to get that sugar from dairy, fruits and vegetables.

However we should be watching sugar as in any form it is changed to glucose rapidly.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I ate pretty much nothing but fruit and salads for four months and lost 40 lbs. So, there's that. I found it difficult to eat enough calories.
  • gretchygirl32
    gretchygirl32 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are all so helpful and gave me so much great advice! I carry all my fat in my stomach, so that goes back to all the posts about fruit possibly contributing to that visceral fat. I like the 1:1 ratio idea. It seems if I have to eat more veggies to justify that orange or whatever, the better off I'll be. I also like the ideas for OJ replacement in the smoothies. Maybe yogurt would be my best bet there. I'm starting to be able to stomach more interesting concoctions in this journey! Thanks for the advice, and way to go on all your progress! :-):flowerforyou:
  • gretchygirl32
    gretchygirl32 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    :tongue:
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You can get fat from eating too much of anything. If you take in more calories than you expend in a day, the balance is converted to fat.
  • Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When I first started dieting last summer, I would bring tons of fruit. Like a mega fruit salad thinking it was super healthy, but actually I was eating too much in one sitting. I realized that like with all food, I had to eat in proper portion sizes. So basically 4 strawberries and a small handful of blueberries is a serving. You wanna keep it small and frequent with healthy snacks. When I think of fruit, I think of fruit as natural sugar, so that helps me keep it in perspective in terms of portions.