I want to cry - a million day ones

Options

Replies

• ziggiezambi
    ziggiezambi Posts: 253
    Options
    Well as already stated food isn't good or bad..
    Obviously some is better than others but as long as you’re meeting your calorie goals it really doesn’t matter.
    It helps cut cals if you can switch to water or un-sweetened tea or green tea.
    Also if you overdo it with the cals just burn it off before you go to bed, last minute push-ups or quick jog after dinner work off whatever you over ate then there’s no need to feel guilt or like you wasted a day. :smile:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I feel like I can do this. This is the single most important thing I can do in my life and I can do it. I started this in march and did awesome for about a month and then lost 10lbs, then I started making excuse after excuse and the weight came back plus a little more and...god loves me anyway...

Every single day I start so determined to do this and change my life. Then later on something sometimes happens (not always because otherwise I wouldn't have had that 10 lb success). What the hell is going on lately with me? How can I be so determined one second and a couple hours later I forget all that and eat something less healthy? I've started so many times I feel like I'm losing hope for myself sometimes (but then time passes and I feel re-energized and excited again) . I feel like that dream I have everyday of what I would look like skinny is more and more realistic and less and less a dream . I don't even know why I try the impossible or the difficult anymore, I will just do what I can. I've wasted my 20's and now I'm not about do to the same in my 30's
    fixed it for you.

Also created your new thread title for your progress pics and success threads.

" I want to cry. A million day ones eventually led to success one day at a time.":flowerforyou:

You are fantastic sweets ^^ I'm proud to call you my friend :flowerforyou:

OP...you CAN do this.:flowerforyou:
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You're a clever person, you know that what it takes is eating at a deficit and moving more. That involves some willpower, yes, but getting results will make you want to try harder and see even more results.

Drop or alter the 'cheat meals' -especially if it's a 'large cheeseburger, large fries, large coke and 20 piece nuggets' *I didn't even know they could serve 20 piece nuggets? Here you get 6 at a push!* That is a crazy amount of food.

The reality is you can eat your way through the benefit of any exercise so doing 10,000 steps doesn't mean you should up your calories and losing 2lbs doesn't mean you can then celebrate by eating whatever you want.

I'm sorry, I don't really do coddling. But on the upside, every single day is a new opportunity to turn it all around! Best of luck.
  • BOC57
    BOC57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A million day ones is the story of my life(all 56 years of it).. Those of us who have life long weight issues will face this particular challenge every day of our lives. We will never "arrive" at a weight and then be able to eat whatever we want. We will always be in the process of weight management. What seems to work for me is taking my eyes off of the goal (I want to lose 30 pounds) and putting that focus on the skills needed at the moment to be healthy. Sometimes that involves focusing on my fitness routine, other times how to avoid getting hungry before dinner or how I'm going to do to resist having 3 glasses of wine every evening. Really, I would have a great day of exercise and eating well and when 5pm rolled around I'd want that glass of wine, just one mind you, while my husband sat down with a beer. But one turns into two, turns into three..........and then I don't care what I eat. So now I drink my glass of wine on Friday or Saturday night and though it still turns into 3 glasses, at least that's only happening 1 night a week instead of 7. That is a huge success in my book. Food is not the enemy or the issue, our choices and thought processes are. Acceptance and change. 10 pounds lost is great! Take what you did for 30 days and tweak it so that you can do it for 60 days or 90 or for 6 months. Make the process livable day in and day out. The weight comes off more slowly, but it puts you in control of the moment rather than at the mercy of the past which you can't change, or the future which just doesn't exist. I made my life miserable for a long time by wishing I'd been born naturally thin and resisting the reality of how my body operates and what it needs to stay strong and healthy. Believe me, the older we get the more immediate and long lasting are the consequences! You can most certainly do this, one day.....or even just one meal at a time.
  • ocsoanita
    ocsoanita Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm a woman, I can see losing weight from another aspect. There are really good advices here connected the practical side of losing weight - but what about the mental part? You have to ask yourself some questions...

First of all, do you love yourself enough to lose weight? As years go by ( I'm in my mid forties) I begin to think it's the most important question. If you don't love yourself enough, if you can't accept your body the way it is, it's almost impossible to lose weight. If you keep friends with your body, you won't put everything in your mouth - then you want to pamper your body, to give it the necessary nutrients in a yummy form. Then you won't give it j unk food so as you don't put dirty or messy gas in your beloved car's tank.

Secondly, do you estimate your body enough to feed it properly? You must appreciate yourself, have a high level of self-esteem, have a lot of courage to stand up for yourself. If you don't think of yourself that way, it could be really hard to have a body which is enviable.

The other important question is if you want looking and feeling sexy hardly enough? I don't think it's mostly women's problem... you men can feel the same related to your bodies. If you are introvert type, a bit shy in your social affairs, it can be really frightening to have a sexy, appealing, even desirable body... then you have to face the consequences which could be a bit inconvenient.

The fat around our body can protect ourselves from a lot of things we don't want to face.. it can be really useful in many situations... maybe you should be an expert to map all of these areas. But it may be enough to read some good books in this theme or just to have a lot of sincere talks with yourself...

You are really young - maybe I seem too much wise (and old:smile: ) compared to you... but man, it took me almost 50 years to collect this wiseness so I just want to hand it on to younger people! In this way perhaps you don't have to be almost 50 to feel as good in your element as I feel in mine nowadays!:wink:
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I think you need buddies.

Is there someone you can share this whole thing with? Or join a group and talk, walk, share the experiences with.
    Yes, keep doing it on mfp or wherever, but see if there's a friend who will be your buddy. A bit like AA!!!!

Then when you feel like making an unhelpful choice, or feel down, or feel really proud of yourself because things are going well, you can share the feelings and count on their positive support.

Feel free to friend as many people on here as you like, me included, but find real buddies too. Mine really helped me.

And good on you for starting the process. You can finish it too!!:love:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you're in this for the long term, and to have no more 'day ones', I'd suggest starting at what mfp thinks your maintenance calories are and seeing what happens. Then you can adjust up or down and hunt for that 'sweet spot' where you lose without feeling too deprived.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that say you have to get out of the "good food" "bad food" mentality. Food is food. If you want to eat a burger, eat a burger. Eat less at breakfast to make up for the extra cals.

Also go here, read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You will likely not stick to it at 1200 cals (the default MFP seems to give a lot of people) , because you simply NEED more calories than that.

If you need supportive friends, I've been here a while and I'm more than willing to help support.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    If Greg Plitt doesn't motivate you then you're doomed:

http://youtu.be/_CRVjMQuOaM
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I will ditto the others about making small changes instead of one giant one--it's much easier to adapt to and you won't feel like you're depriving yourself, which can lead to bingeing.

Have you considered talking to a therapist? From your post, it sounds like you may have self-esteem issues, and this can be a huge factor in trying to lose weight--many will self-sabotague without realizing it.

And here's a quote attributed to Mark Twain that kind of applies "Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it a hundred times." If you fall off the horse, get back on.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Do it now bro. You're still young. I nade excuses all through my 30s and 40s. I said, frig it. I'll be fine. Grandad was morbidly obese and he lived to 98. Then I hit 50 and wasn't feeling so well. I went to the doc and my BP was so high he made me take meds in the office. He described me as one of those guys who's walking down the street and drops dead.
    I always made excuses. I can drink smoke eat crap, I'm fine. But one day it will catch up with you. Don't wait for a medical scare like I did. I dropped 40 lbs last year and I'm the healthiest I've been in 20 years. I feel great.
    I still eat whatever I fancy, just in decent portions and I don't swill beers. I just enjoy them.
    Stick with it bro!
  • PeachyFit
    PeachyFit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree too. This is exactly what happened with me. I used to think of foods as bad or good and would feel deprived when eating "good" then eat "bad" and be so upset at myself.

When I started doing this, I quickly realized no, I don't want those fast food fries or that candy bar because they'd take up too many calories. I didn't feel deprived because I knew I could have them if I wanted, so it wasn't a big internal struggle. Just more like a casual decision to skip it and go home and eat a more sensible choice of food. (Maybe oven fries I made myself or a square of dark chocolate.)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    "Half of life is fv¢king up, the other half is dealing with it.”
    Henry Rollins
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    It took me 1 1/2 years to lose 70 lbs. Taking it slow, back sliding, plateaus etc. I have been maintaining about a 7 lb range now for almost 2 years. The support you get from folks here is invaluable!!!!. Keep it up, I will welcome a friend request if you are into grandmas for cheerleaders. ;)
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I feel like I can't do this. This is the single most important thing I can do in my life and I can't do it. I started this in march and did awesome for about a month and then lost 10lbs, then I started making excuse after excuse and the weight came back plus a little more and...god dammit...

Every single day I start so determined to do this and change my life. Then later on something always happens. What the hell is wrong with me? How can I be so determined one second and a couple hours later I forget all that and eat something bad? I've failed so many times I feel like I'm losing hope for myself. I feel like that dream I have everyday of what I would look like skinny is more and more and dream and less and less realistic. I don't even know why I try anymore. I've wasted my 20's and now I'm on track do to the same in my 30's

i totally feel you man. We're so determined at times, and then at other times I'm just like "stuff it", and start eating whatever I want. Whenever I look at myself all I can see is fat, and that makes me more determined, but the determination fades away the next day and I end up binging. It also makes me want to have a quick fix, like go on some crash diet or something, but that's just going to make me lose a bunch of muscle mass.
    I eat well for a day or a week, but either way it feels like a century. I still don't know what to do about this so-determined-one-second-failing-the-next thing, but good luck. just letting you know i'm in the exactly same boat.

if anyone finds a solution please share it.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Beating yourself up is the problem. Not the choices.

One bad day/week isn't going to break you any more than one good day/week used to make everything better.

Move on. Make today better. You don't have to have your Rocky moment and be all fired up. Just do more than you did before.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    You are doing a strong and great thing now.. you come here and try. If you keep at it...the changes will come. When I'd come here and log..even though i felt like a failure because I'd eat over... I was getting smaller and it held me accountable. When I left for a month or so.. i gained everything back.

So now, I log and keep at it.. improving little things.. finding better tasting lower calorie foods. I find ways to make the foods I love lower calorie. I figure another two weeks and I'll have a good plan down. So it didn't happen like magic....at least I am doing something. and so are you.

Cut yourself some slack...
  • cabart26
    cabart26 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is so much positive advice already given. Remember, this is a lifestyle change. For some people small changes are easiest, for others "just say no" works, for others it is the exercise high, for others it is the motivation to see some measurement change. After my first week and losing 5 pounds, I was stuck at a plateau for 3 straight weeks. Very frustrating so early. After the 2nd week of the plateau, I took measurements... I knew I had to see a change in the numbers somewhere. Luckily, I did see progress.

I think we all have to open our minds that although scales and inches are where we want to see the numbers go down, we have to be open to seeing the numbers change in other places as well. My suggestion is to give yourself another way to see progress with numbers.... For example, on paper, put together a typical week of eating before MFP. (Yes, it will be scary... but compare that to what you did in MFP) If you consumed less that you used to, it was an okay week. As long as you can keep reducing your numbers to the point where you learn the lifestyle that keeps you in the MFP goals, you are INDEED making progress.

Another way of tracking progress is tracking how many more minutes you can work out, how much further you can go, how much more you can lift, etc.

Given that I am nearly 50, my mantra this time is "been there before, can do it again" and focusing on different "I WANTS". The past few years, I have been eating by letting my mouth and taste buds dictating the "I WANTS" instead of my mind and the rest of my body. This time, when my mouth goes "I WANT"... I slow my self down and think about the other "I WANTS"... "I WANT to wear a bathing suit and be confident", "I WANT to look in the mirror and see a fit body." When I find out that I ate something that threw me way over on calories or cost me way more calories than I thought, I think about what I can do differently next time I encounter the food or situation. Example, the 100 calorie Quaker chewy chocolate granola bars are good, they have texture, but they are not nearly as satisfying to me as 150 calorie ice cream sandwich. I save 150 calories for my "food reward" of the ice cream sandwich. It is my "food perk". I am trying to come up with non-food rewards for each 10 pounds in weight loss. Examples- Headphones to wear at the gym. Phone case to wear when walking or jogging... new tennis shoes... Or maybe something you love to do that is not "food"... Movies, museums, parks, zoo, site seeing, etc... Think of the non food rewards for each 5 pound success.

Good luck to you.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    OP here!

I can't believe this. I can't believe how much a thread changed my life. It's so much different seeing people say things like this on the board and then seeing people say it to me. I have the wrong perspective on life and i need to change it. I never thought anybody would give a damn about me and my situation. I've been exposed to so many negative people my entire life that it's colored my view of people in a bleak/hopeless light. I forget that there are good people out there and i should be seeking them out.

I have a lot of mental issues i need to work out. The fat is just a symptom of a bigger problem. My mom isolating me from family, being homeless til i was 12 and even then, living in crappy situations. I never had anything my entire childhood. No food. No family. No place to stay. That when i grew up and got a job and had money, i appreciated food so much more than the everyday person that i just kept eating. It sounds ridiculous, but i was so poor growing up going to mcdonald's and getting a burger was a luxury. Combine the lack of food growing up with my mentally ill mom modeling all the wrong things for me, it's not something you can just grow out of and get over. I need help.

I've never asked for help because it was always drilled into me that everybody would say no, so don't bother asking. But i need it now. I'm thinking more and more about my future and i can't get over this ticking clock i have in my head of my time running out. I'm supposed to be an example to my daughter of what a man should be and i've been good at projecting an image of someone that i'm nothing like (a happy caring dad) that i never thought to really work on my issues. The reason for living is to give life meaning and i don't want to look back on all these years and think about how i wasted so much time feeling sorry for myself and failing over and over again. I'm going to do it. RIGHT NOW because there is no such thing as tomorrow. There is no waiting on my life to change there is only right freaking now that matters because that's what i can work on and god dammit i'm going to do it. I need all the support i can get and you people are so amazing. I want you all in my life because your words mean more to me than anything.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I tried and failed pretty much every single day for the past nineteen years. This time, for some reason this last January i thought I would try yet again and I am still going. I am 51 years old. If I can do it, you can too.