Worst boss stories

Options
13»

Replies

• pnuthaymama
    Options
    Many years ago I had a boss who was also the father of a friend, so yes, he was old enough to be my father. I think I must have been about 23 and he was close to 50 (big age gap). I knew and liked his very nice wife but he was a dog! Well, anyway, does anyone remember that old song that said "if I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?". Well, he cornered me in the computer room and told me that. I guess he thought I'd appreciate it or something. Wrong.

What he hadn't planned on is my very new husband marching through the busy office the next day and cornering him in his private office. I believe he was told not to even look at me and that my job better not become uncomfortable for me. I do love a man that will protect what's his!!! I had a hard time not laughing at all the curious looks for my coworkers. I never did have anymore problems from that particular boss. Oh yeah, did I fail to mention that my husband was a Marine and probably scared that old coot to death?
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly sure that my first boss ever (at a bookstore) hired me specifically because he wanted to get in my pants. I actually went on a date with him (who knows why, I didn't even like him) right after I stopped working at the store and he basically pinned me down and shoved his tongue down my throat without permission. So yeah. Not cool. I bolted pretty fast. Douche!

I hope you gave him a swift procreation ending knee to his reproductive organs, followed by a three hit combo to his eye sockets.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I worked for a small family owned company for the last 7 years. I had good hours and the pay was ok but in all that time i never could get a raise.

When i started there i was very heavy and would hear comments about my big *kitten* etc. In the last 12 months of losing 85 pounds my boss had started verbally sexually harrasing me. At one point i wore a dress to work because it was more comfortable in that envirment and he said wow you should wear those more often. I said well i work here and its not like i can afford to go out and buy clothes on a whim. He gave me 100.00 and said go buy some dresses. I thought it was nice until he said...my only requirement is that they are enticing. I gave him that money back so fast like it was burning my hand.

He would walk by me and my register and grope my *kitten* and then the last straw was about a month ago when i was going thru a VERY hard time financially....like when all manner of things hits at once....and i asked him for a loan of a couple hundred dollars. He said sure no problem....then proceeded to grope me, try to kiss me, pulled out his privates and said he would not leave me alone til i touched it, asked me to go to a motel after work and asked me if i shave myself!!!! I never felt so sick in all my life.

I told him what he did to me was unacceptable and certainly not appreciated and i did not want his loan i would figure out my financials some other way. For the next 2 days he proceeded to harrass me over every work detail he could find to reprimand me for. Made me so miserable on top of the fact the personal things i was going thru i ended up literally with severe headaches and upset stomach the minute i pulled up until i left at the end of the day.

After a few days i gave my notice and am not looking back. Things are tough as i only have a part time job now until i find more work but i decided my sanity thanks me and that is worth it.

Id rather be broke than broken.....
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I had a boss who used to lecture us all the time about leaving our personal lives at home... she didn't like when I got teary after getting a call that my sister was in a car accident and being rushed to the ER. However, she would come to work in a bad mood due to things at home all the time and make sure we were all miserable right along with her. She would give us specific directions for how she wanted things done, then would tell us that isn't how she wanted it when we were all done and told us to redo it. She was verbally abusive and got a guy fired because he made a joke that she didn't like. When I was planning my wedding, I kept her in the loop the whole time regarding the dates I'd be requesting off for the wedding and honeymoon. When the time came for me to put in my request, she told me that I didn't put in the request properly and she wasn't sure if she'd be able to allow me to have the time off. She knew that at that point everything was all paid for and non-refundable.

One thing she used to make me do was proofread all of her correspondence to other departments and outside agencies. She had horrible spelling and grammar. If she was being extra poopy that day, I'd tell her that whatever she wrote looked fine even though it looked like a 3rd grader wrote it. :ohwell:
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I was given five days notice that I would be moving to the middle of nowhere Kansas for seven months (I live in Atlanta), leaving me very little time to prepare. The conditions on site were fairly miserable, including nearly getting fired for a small error made to a drawing after being on shift for over 16 hours (the error ended up not even being a problem for the craft guys in the field). I was working night shift, and near the end of my stay there, I get a call in the early afternoon (a few hours before I was supposed to get up for work) wherein I am asked if I would be willing to go to another site in south Florida for at least a year. I tell my boss that I was sleeping and would like to have this conversation when I am more awake. He insists I make a decision now, so I tell him that I would prefer to come home. I had been working 13 hour days and six day weeks for the last two and a half months, so I was burned out and homesick. Plus, I had bought a new house less than a month before being sent out of state and had a lot of work I needed to do that had been put off while I was away. He paused, then asked if I would feel differently about going if I knew that I would not have a job if I came back to Atlanta. I asked him if that was the case, or if this was hypothetical, and he simply repeats himself, so I tell him that I stand by my decision. I'm burned out and coming home. They found someone else to bully into going to the site, although I did end up there about six months later, though I only stayed for four months, fortunately. It made me sick to my stomach that I would be threatened with termination for not taking a "voluntary" long term assignment, particularly when I had been told that I would have no more than a week or two of travel when I was hired.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Had a boss who micromanaged every detail....even my own personal life. Was rushed to emergency on a Saturday one time for a collapsed lung and spent 9 days in the hospital...chest tube, oxygen tanks, tubes everywhere, morphine drip.... She came over unannounced to the hospital Monday morning to check and make sure I was "there". This is what she said, "Gee, you'll do anything to get out of work!" (After that, I told the nurses no-unannounced visitors)

She was a spineless weasel.

Thankfully hospitals don't allow just anyone to pop in like that anymore.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly sure that my first boss ever (at a bookstore) hired me specifically because he wanted to get in my pants.

Cant blame him!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Where to start........
    I worked in an office where the bosses actually smoked in the office. EVERYWHERE. At your desk, at their desk. It was gross.
    I'm still actually not certain how that is legal.

My current boss approved my co-workers vacation, she booked her tickets and then he told her that she couldn't go afterall.

He told us that none of us were to leave early on the day before Thanksgiving... right before catching a plane at 9am.

I could go on and on. I got exceeds expectations on everything included in my review, and told there was no raise(though that's not really his fault).
    There have been worse. But this is just the currently bad one.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I have had some horrible bosses, but the BEST story not worst was he was on a fishing trip with me (and others) That a vendor from work was treating us to and we all got really **** faced at the bar, and when the cabs dropped us off we all went in and harassed this idiot to no end.
    And one of the guys who was about 6'5 and 300+lbs belly flopped onto him while he was sleeping. LOL

This guys best buddy was the boss previously and was a real *kitten*. He would literally scream and swear at anyone right in front of others. I had to resort to making him understand that if he talked to me like that a 2nd time I was going to punch a hole into him.
    He didn't. And I guess he knew I was serious because he was actually the VP, I wasn't fired, and he never bothered me again.

(This was when I was still in my 20's BTW)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    The devil does in fact wear Prada... and super-absorbent tampons. How do I know this? She sent me to Walgreen's to buy some for her.

should come back with some vagisil and haemorrhoid cream just to complete the tri-fector

If there is a next time, oops, get the kind with NO applicator, lol Gross
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    My current GM is a douche and is HORRIBLE with names even with department heads that have worked with him for several years...it's so bad that we take bets when he introduces a new person around the office because he cannot get all of our names straight...
    I've been there for 8 years and I'm part of the exec team and I still get a few times a year the deer in headlights look when he's searching for my name ! Make a bloody effing effort !!
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My 1st job at a Vet Tech I worked for a lady who became known as "psycho". She would get angry at things she "thought" were wrong.
    One day I filled a script she asked for and was talking to the client about giving it to their pet. She walked over, interrupted me, opened the container and said it was the wrong med and to follow her. She pulled me into the pharmacy and proceeded to YELL at me for being so dumb, could have killed the patient, I need to pay more attn., etc etc.
    It lasted for enough time that another vet came in asked what the yelling was about and said she and the clients could hear it. The one yelling at me said I filled the wrong script. The other vet looked at me, asked me if I did, I said I was pretty positive I didn't.
    The 2nd vet opened the original med container, spilled a few pills out and opened my container.
    They were the SAME.
    Psycho vet just turned and left. I went into the bathroom and cried. I was 17 and it sucks.

This same vet would also say how she "cant find good help anywhere" in front of clients while us/her staff were standing right there. Clients looked at us like "wtf, did she really just say that??"

She would ask me to go to the packie and buy booze for her.

She would get angry over stuff and throw things out of her office and not care if we were walking by and got hit by stuff.

Would "chat" with me at the end of the night about her bad sex life and bunions on her feet.

Yea....I was pulling up to work, drinking Pepto in my car and feel sick all shift not knowing how she would be. I left after about 6-8 months of that.
  • horses7777
    horses7777 Posts: 165
    Options
    bumping for later. Sorry about all the boss troubles everyone has had.:frown:
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    not that this is bad per se but i had a spineless boss when i worked at a pizza joint.

he let two waitresses walk all over him and then he would give them raises. no joke if the one girl worked 5 shifts a week she wouldnt show for 4 of them then come in *****ing about how she wasnt making any money.

we saw over the course of a year she was given over $2 an hour raise plus he would give her his own money so she and her friends could go out and party.

well i had gotten invited to a penguin game last minute and was scheduled that day. i managed to find someone to work for me and told the shift manager what was going on. i had jokingly said yea, i think im sick *cough cough*.

i come in the next morning and my buddy tells me the manager was pissed i didnt just show up and that i didnt even call off. i said bull&^$# i found someone to work my shift. it just so happened that manager was coming in later in the morning to open and i was so irritated.

he comes in and says hey jerry how was the penguin game? i said it was great until i heard you telling everyone how pissed you were that i just didnt show up. he started to stammer and i said, i had so-so fill my shift, plus i talked to the shift and told him i wasnt coming in and that so so was filling my spot.

he then told me that he had planned to call in the driver to help out so i had still called off. that logic was it. i flipped out. i said so your ticked that i talked to him @10am and you called at 3pm to find out he was working my shift. go effe yourself. youll give <the waitress> a ^%&# $1 hour a raise for not even letting anyone know shes not showing up for 4 out of her 5 shifts you spinless f&ck? you can go to f&cking hell. you never even think to speak to me again here unless youre asking me to make a pizza, cut a pizza or deliver a pizza you spineless f&ck.

this was all at the top of my lungs as my buddy and the managers niece who also worked there ran into the cooler to quit from laughing.

i proceeded to tell him he is so spineless that he wouldnt even right me up for this.

and i was right

and i worked there another 2 years
  • Circapaleo
    Circapaleo Posts: 114
    Options
    Wow!!!!

Suddenly excessive farting doesn't seem all that bad. Thanks guys...Sunday afternoon won't be as bad as usual.