MUST HAVE items in fridge for weightloss (foods)

Options
13»

Replies

• LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is eat LESS. But choosing more low calorie/high volume foods is helpful in staying full and satisfied.

0 fat plain Greek yogurt, unsweetened coco powder and some Splenda.
    Unsweetened almond milk and a puffed rice cereal ( lots of volume for small amount of carbs)
    Chicken breast, ONIONS PEPPERS,GARLIC, sirloin, baby red potatoes
    Protein powder to hit protein macro
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I would have to say that my top foods would be:

Eggs
    Chicken Breast
    Bananas
    Spinach
    Laughing Cow Cheese
    Tomato
    Light Coconut Milk
    Oats

We shop the farmers market so we get vegetables at very low prices and then make quite a bit of either grilled vegetables or stewed vegetables. My husband is from N Africa so use a lot of seasonings.

Must haves to flavor food without adding a ton of calories:

Granulated Garlic
    Cumin
    Cinnamon(sounds strange, but works in savory foods)
    Cajun Seasoning
    Harissa(African hot sauce paste)
    Onion Powder

A great site for recipes is Cookinglight.com or allrecipes.com

Here is the lentil recipe that we put a spin on too:

http://strangerinthisdunya.wordpress.com/2009/01/25/adass-algerian-lentils/
  • nm_353
    nm_353 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I keep stuff for salads on hand, eggs, bananas, and avocados. Unless I make an egg white and veggie omelette for breakfast, I typically stick with a fruit until noon, and raw until 5 approach. I have tried dieting every way there is... Staying under a certain calorie range, low carb, and nothing worked for me until this approach.

The only things I drink are coffee ( in the morning) and water for the rest of the day.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    whatever you like to eat.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    My must have snack are: strawberries, almonds, tomatoes, 70% or 85% dark chocolate and any raw veggie I like. Bell peppers are probably my favorite.

favorite easy low cal meals:

Taco salad...weigh/measure the meat and cheese or leave the cheese off

Stir fry veggies with either sauteed chicken or shrimp you can buy stir fry saucse or hoisen sauce or make your own sauce. I serve it over rice when I have extra cals.

Good luck!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Wine? or is it just me:ohwell:

LOL...definatly not just you. I'd hate to live without wine!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Portabella mushroom caps. You can use them as a sandwich, you can chop them and add them to pretty much any dish. Low calorie, contains proteins... A little seasoning, and they will take most any flavor you're aiming for.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation, but my staple foods are avocados, leafy greens (spinach, kale, etc.), sweet potatoes, chicken, oatmeal, peanut butter, and eggs.

ETA: Almonds also!
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My fridge always has the following:

Natural Yoghurt
    Why? Because it's versatile.
    - A dollop on oats with berries and a drizzle of honey as a breakfast.
    - Mix in a spoon of curry paste and it's a wonderful marinade for chicken.
    - Mix in finely chopped cucumber, fresh mint, crushed garlic and a squidge of lemon juice and you have tzatziki, a dollop of which goes beautifully with poached salmon or trout.
    - It makes wonderful lower-calorie versions of curries such as Chicken Korma
    - For a lovely summery pudding, mix a couple of tablespoons of creamy Greek yoghurt with lemon curd, pop it into a glass with a handful of fresh raspberries on top

Celariac
    Why? This replaces potatoes and it's just as tasty and a fraction of the calories.
    - Peel it, chop it into the shape of fries, spritz with veg oil and season (I use sea salt, cracked black pepper and sometimes Paprika) and then bake on a tray in a hot oven for 15-20 minutes. It makes wonderfully sweet tasting fries.
    - Peel it, cube it up and boil it in a pan of water, then drain and mash it with a dab of butter and season. Far, far tastier than mash potato!
    - Fry up a couple of chopped onions and some garlic in a saucepan, add in veg or chicken stock and peeled/cubed celariac. Simmer until the celariac is soft, blitz it all up in a blender, stir through a couple of dollops of crème fraiche and you have a stunning soup.

Eggs
    Why? Because you can do anything with an egg - endless omelette variations, scrambled with some lovely smoked salmon, poached on rye bread, baked in a bed of chopped tomatoes/peppers/chilli, hard-boiled and of course they are the staple you need to make pancakes, soufflés, mayonnaise etc etc

Chilli, Garlic & Fresh Ginger
    Why? Because if you have these things in your fridge and some Soy Sauce and Rice Wine in your cupboard you have the base for a near endless variety of stirfrys and marinades.

Other fridge staples
    - A variety of salad veg; interesting lettuce, radishes, cucumber, spring onions, tomatoes.
    - A variety of berries and melon
    - Smoked fish (salmon, trout, mackerel etc) because it's an ultra-quick meal on salad or toast
    - Pickles
    - Anchovies (these form the base of lots of great sauces/marinades for meat and are a key ingredient of Caesar salad dressing)
    - White Miso Paste. Add water, chilli, spring onions and rice noodles for a healthy broth. Mix with soy sauce & rice wine vinegar for a killer marinade on meat.
    ....Oh and Vodka and White Wine. I always have those in my fridge *grin*

Cupboard Staples
    - Dried rice noodles, rice (I get long-grain mixed with wild)
    - Tinned tomatoes
    - Honey
    - Peanut butter
    - Whole oats
    - Packets of flavoured cous cous (pour boiling water on...wait 5 minutes. Done)
    - Curry pastes/spice mixes
    - Oat cakes
    - Basic herbs and spices (incl sea salt flakes and black peppercorns)
    - Harissa
    - Soy Sauce
    - Rice wine vinegar
    - Nam Pla (Fish sauce)
    - Oyster Sauce
    - White wine vinegar & cider vinegar
    - Popcorn (the healthier sort)
    - Very good dark chocolate
    - Tins of mixed beans, baked beans
  • AmyJo527
    AmyJo527 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, bagged salad, avocados, peanut butter, brown rice, and stir fry veggies are some of my favorites.
  • kbnax
    kbnax Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump...as I'm looking to add more things to my diet