exercise while on the monthly??

Options

Replies

• StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    (and it can, in fact, help relieve cramps).

Yep. Endogenous endorphins. Best.Drugs.Ever.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I follow the principles of Ayurveda,it says exercise is a NO-NO during TOM.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    It absolutely helps relieve cramps!! Lately my cramps have been so terrible I am absolutely bed ridden for a good day, but, if I can get out and exercise a bit, then it helps immensely.
  • Sushifish87
    Options
    Since my 2nd and 3rd day is the worst I use a tampon and wear a panty liner just in case but still workout. I find that while I'm kicking my butt I don't have any cramps (and trust me I have HORRIBLE cramps usually). The exercise really helps get you through it! I never regret forcing myself to at least go for a walk no matter how bad I am feeling
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything different. Yoga, Bootcamp, jogging. They all make me feel better. Help with all the TOM issues.
  • aemkids
    aemkids Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't know if it helps or not. But, i just keep going!
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Since being sterilised last year I have had the most horrendous TOM. The type of pain that means I can't stand up and walk. I have been taking some major heavy duty pain relief to get through the day when it hits. At the beginning of May I started at the gym, end of May TOM was painful but not as bad. This month I haven't really suffered with it and for the first time in 11 months I haven't had to take pain relief for it. Thats a HUGE improvement. It was also a bit lighter which is awesome as along with the pain I have had really really heavy ones since being sterilised.
  • dancer1178
    dancer1178 Posts: 50
    Options
    Maybe, you could change up your workout during your period? I know I feel sooooo much better after I workout, even if I get tired sooner after than I normally would. If there is nothing underlying that could cause severe pain or issues I say just suck it up, lol. I dance and do Zumba. I find that makes me feel better than going to the gym and going on the treadmill. It makes me feel sexier rather than gross :)
  • kgraves3
    kgraves3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This isn't the 1950's.

Shove a tampon up there and do your work.

It helps with my cramps and bloating, but everyone is different. Obviously if you are in pain take some IBU and work through it.

^THIS. Don't be afraid of your body. It's not doing anything it's not supposed to. If it feels "gross" then maybe you need to work on your attitude toward your own body and how it works. Practice good hygiene like you would normally, and you'll be fine. We all can't stop functioning for a little bit of each month because we feel gross. Me personally, I still exercise, though maybe not always at my usual intensity. I have a rare chronic anemia that is made worse during that time of the month, but even still, I'm able to exercise with a respectable level of intensity regardless.

That being said, if it truly is so painful for you that you can't even do light/moderate exercise then you really probably should see a doctor about that. If it keeps your from your normal activities, something could be wrong.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I don't have any real advice but I exercise during my menses, heavy flow or not. The only time I won't is if I'm currently experiencing painful cramps but other than that, it's game on. That includes everything from cardio to weight training.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    YES WALKING, DANCE, PILATES, YOGA
  • cyndimaher
    Options
    I hear you. I really do. It is tough to run or do strenuous exercise when it is that "time" But instead of throwing in the towel, or taking that time off, just change it to lighter activities. Walking is always a good bet. So is swimming. Also you can take more frequent breaks. Exercise for 15 minutes at a time, break, then continue. The important thing is consistency.
  • areeves86
    areeves86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This isn't the 1950's.

Shove a tampon up there and do your work.

It helps with my cramps and bloating, but everyone is different. Obviously if you are in pain take some IBU and work through it.

Haha this^
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Lol I still workout while I'm on my period. Plus it helps with cramps without taking midol or Advil.
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Unless you experience debilitating cramps, being on your period is NO reason to skip exercise (and it can, in fact, help relieve cramps).

THIS! I only skip if I'm in curse-out-loud pain.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't know any of the actual terms or whatever... but exercising is great during TOM! Something about the hormones released I believe... also helps you be more productive and feel better in general! I never skip a day of exercise even while on my period, although I don't really get cramps.

I have a friend with severe cramps (passed on through genetics) who started doing hot yoga quite frequently, her cramps have actually lessened for the most part (compared to normal). I would say that unless you have cramps that are so severe they prevent you from moving, than exercise is a great idea :)
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike to work and back, which takes about an hour. I still have to go to work during TOM, so there's no way I can't exercise really.. Not that I would want to, it doesn't bother me.
  • Kicking_Butt
    Options
    Maybe I should have posted that I had endometriosis... that probably would have cleared the air a bit lol (my bad!)
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I heard that exercising is good for cramps and bloating, but is that even true?
    It is for me. I don't know about bloating but it definately helps the cramps.

If they're killing you the first day and you just want to put your feet up I totally understand. I skipped my group running this month and went to the gym and did a moderate biking workout that day so I could get home and chill, but I highly advise a few crunches or something if you really are having cramps because I find that helps. But there is really no reason to skip workouts for a week.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Do you stop the rest of your life when you're on your period?

So why would you not workout??!