exercise while on the monthly??

Options

Replies

• Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I get severe period pain....its not even cramping....but even just standing is baaaaad. I have passed out numerous times. So i do not work out...because I just cant.

However, I now take a pill which has stopped my periods altogether. Which may seem unnatural....but i have to work ect and I cant get away with taking 4 days a month off work :/.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you feel capable of working out, do it. Some people just feel so crappy they can't. But many are fine doing it.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I feel gross from all the sweat anyway so why not...a tampon, pantyliner and go do your thing!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Whatever it takes. A super tampon and a pad if you have to for sure.
  • Britterboo22
    Britterboo22 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Im glad you posted this! haha
    I too, thought ii would feel gross working out during that time but if anything it made me feel better and gave me more energy.
    The day before I was way tired and drained so I skipped my evening workout and ended up in bed by 8.
    The next morning I thought to myself "im too tired and feel like crap" but I pushed and did it anyway and I felt great afterwards!
  • dixieracer27
    dixieracer27 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you should stop unless your Doctor instructed you otherwise. I can start a workout with knock down cramps and they go away, even better than taking pain meds. As far as feeling gross/weird take a shower before and after if its that big of a problem.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    tampon and ibuprofen. Though the last few years I've been on birth control so it's pretty light and I can "decide" when I want to have it so it's fits in with my life. Certainly didn't keep my from my yoga class this morning. When I wasn't on BC, I put in an extra absorbant tampon at the gym, pantyliner, and made sure to wear black pants.
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    That time of the month for me is like the Niagara falls and someone punching me in the gut - so I get what you mean saying you feel sorta gross.

Sometimes I can work through the pain and discomfort but sometimes it's just not worth it. Everyone is different, that's why I don't get why so many people are saying "Suck it up!" - some people can't.

When I can work through the pain.. squats, jumping jacks or anything like that are a no because I'd prefer not to have an accident. I stick with jogging, arm exercises and ab movements but really nothing to do with the lower half of my body.

I don't use tampons (don't ask why, I just don't) so that's not an option for me. And sometimes IBU or Midol aren't enough to make me feel 100%, so on those days, I continue to eat healthy but I'll save the exercise for next week.

Basically, do what YOU feel like you can do and don't worry about everyone else's opinions. Some of us barely realize our monthly gift has arrive (LUCKY DUCKS) while the rest of us are trying to find the receipt to return it (LOL!)

To each their own, I say!

-Prescilla :)
  • lisadwelley
    lisadwelley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was hesitant at first because some months I have lots of serious cramping and pains (actually take a prescribed pain reliever).

Now that I am exercising I have found that I don't have to take meds as often. Sometimes I have to talk myself into heading into the gym because I may not be feeling great. Surprisingly enough, the workout makes me feel better and diminishes some of the pains.

I know everyone is different and has different issues....but I say go for it and see how you feel.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You can do what you want when you are on your Bob or your Bill (Isn't that what we do? Name it after a common man's name?).
  • gemflower
    gemflower Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I workout during mine. at times i feel bad so i dont go all out but i do something because it does make you feel better.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should have posted that I had endometriosis... that probably would have cleared the air a bit lol (my bad!)

Just saw this later post. Does the endometriosis cause you pain that keeps you from doing normal daily activity during your period? If not, then just keep pushing through. If you have one day that is particularly rough then make it a rest day, but you do not need to take off all 4 days.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    This isn't the 1950's.

Shove a tampon up there and do your work.

It helps with my cramps and bloating, but everyone is different. Obviously if you are in pain take some IBU and work through it.

Omgosh, this is priceless!! :happy: Soo something my sister would say!
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've been finding that if I work out right from day one of my period, its not as heavy as usual. I still get the cramps but its not as heavy.

Dont skip out on the workouts girl! Keep pushin through
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with all who say push on! You may not be able to give it the usual power but it will definitely make you feel better! Even if I have bad cramps I just take some Midol and use the heating pad a bit before and after a workout!

Go for it! Don't let mother nature bring you down! Kick her *kitten*!

; )
  • kelli543
    kelli543 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use a mirena (4 years now) so don't bleed, but I still have hormone cycles and know when it is 'that time'. I find my body aches more, I have less energy, I tire sooner and generally feel crappier for about 4 days. I still exercise on those days but I noticed (thanks to my GPS/HRM) my runs are slower, my HR higher, and my perceived effort much higher on those 4 or 5 days. Hormones can be so annoying!

Before mirena I used to find that exercising definitely helped with the bloating and cramps - generally the healthier I was the better the cramps.
  • mercymarque
    mercymarque Posts: 450
    Options
    I lift weights all the time. I feel like it helps decrease time of the month, no cramping and though you will still experience some weight gain from aunt flo I don't see that much water retention
  • cathybabe70
    cathybabe70 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds weird, but exercising during that time always made me feel better. Mood, cramps, bloating...everything seemed to improve after a good workout. I mean what is the alternative...taking a week off every month? That's not consistent or very conducive to progress. Unless your symptoms are extremely severe...tough it out and work through it.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should have posted that I had endometriosis... that probably would have cleared the air a bit lol (my bad!)

Then, rest on the worst day/s. That is taking care of your body too.

If you're only at 50% on the other days, do a 50% workout (walk, cycle, something gentle).
  • Jess102979
    Jess102979 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have find that it helps with my cramps and my body has an easier time going through it...Just give it a try and dont let it ruin your week!!!!