Calories at 1,000 to 1,200 for women...

Options

Replies

• Soniatori
    Soniatori Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    its true i consumed 1200 calories for about a year to lose weight,and the weight just came off easily.
  • Jennms85
    Jennms85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I keep mine well under 1200/day and it's worked for 3 months (30 pounds). If I eat more, I don't lose. But do what works for you. I am glad some of you can eat more and lose! I wish I could!

you will have to eventually. that works for the short term, but not in perpetuity.

Agree totally! Lost about 20 lbs on a 1200 calorie intake exercising 4-6 times weekly. Stayed at 131 for about 4 weeks, increased intake and lost 1.5 lbs in less than a week ( weight stayed 129.5 and under for more than 3 days, i never log that I've lost unless consistent for more than 3 days in case of water weight)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    honestly, the US government has no clue when it comes to nutrition or health. this is just wrong.

please don't fall for the appeal to authority bias. do your own research

This. Plus the 1000-1200 assumes the woman is doing zero exercise. You know, because most U.S. citizens don't exercise. Plus it only states they can lose weight safely. Not effectively. Not efficiently. Not enjoyably. Its LCD stuff.

Dav, please read the link provided. They are saying to eat at that level and exercise. At least, that's what I read.

I am reading it the opposite way. The second statement is the key for me. I read it thusly:

*1200 is safe to lose weight
    *but eat 1600 if you are woman who exercises, or a man, or a woman over 165 pounds.

So if they continued, I figure the next two lines would be:

*eat 2100 if you are a man that exercises
    *eat 1900 if you are a woman over 165 pounds that exercises
  • cchardy82
    cchardy82 Posts: 26
    Options
    In order to lose weight, I eat around 1000 a day. In order to maintain I can eat around 1400-1500. I have been this way for years. I am also very active. I am a busy mom, teacher and runner. I also help my daughter with ballet so I dance a good bit with her. I eat healthy foods and I feel satisfied. I am also healthy with normal iron levels.

I say all that to say, it makes sense to me that the gov't recommends this. If I eat over 1500 calories for an extended period, I gain weight. For two years, I added back the calories that I burned by running. At that time I was running 4-6 miles every other day. I ate around 1700 calories a day and made sure that these were healthy calories. I did gain a lot of muscle but I also gained weight. I wasn't as thin as I had been and I was not happy with how I looked and felt
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The United States Government has no idea what they're talking about. Calorie ranges are irrelevant. Every individual person needs to find their own TDEE, there are no cookie cutter ranges for everyone
  • MyzGina
    MyzGina Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So if u eat up to 1200 or below and exercise its bad? Should have told me that 86lbs ago. I don't eat maybe no more then 1100 a day. That's just what my 3 main meals and snacks consist of. And I work out at least 4xs a week burning at least 1000 cals per work out. I'm losing more then gaining. Yes I hit plateaus. But came out quickly once I regained focus. I just think what works for some may not work for others. And I really dislike government numbers and opinions when it comes to health. Becuz who's most women or the average women. No one knows!!!......
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    It's also the wrong answer to the wrong question as far as health advice goes. The real question is what form of weightloss yields the longest-lasting results. Most people can succeed in weightloss, but then regain.

exactly.

will you lose on 1200 cal? yes.

will you gain it all back? yes.

will you then have to start over? yes.

or you could just eat an appropriate amount from the beginning and never worry about having to do it all over again.

Yes.
    No.
    No.

I lost at 1200.
    I did not gain it back.
    I did not have to start over.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    on less than 1200 calories and losing steadily thanks!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    on less than 1200 calories and losing steadily thanks!

at almost 6 feet tall? yikes! do you hate food or do you hate lean body mass? or both?

there's another way to do this
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I hate the idea of giving up - I am motivated by results. I will get to the weight I want to get at, I will slowly increase both my calorie intake and my heavy lifting to gain muscle back

I think a big problem with some people on this site - and the Eat More Lose More guys is they think for some reason that the majority of women are worried about losing muscle mass, no, they are not. They want to see that scale go down and they want to see their clothes fit better before they care about anything else (this is the majority, I know there are some women who do care)

I want to lose the weight first and foremost, afterwards I would be overjoyed to get fit and toned, but losing the weight is my first goal
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am soooooooooo sick of this constant and ongoing debate. I've been basically doing 1200 (sometimes 1000; occ. 1400) since Jan.; down 25lbs. and 2 1/2 lbs from goal. This is called success. When I reach goal, I will increase slightly. Frankly, it hasn't been all that difficult.

It. works. for. me.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I rarely go over 1000 and I'm not hungry. It works for me. I eat only when hungry not out of boredom. My numbers speak for themselves
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here says they eat 1200. I highly doubt they are as accurate in their tracking as they believe. Cognitive dissonance and dieting start to become synonymous after awhile.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I am soooooooooo sick of this constant and ongoing debate. I've been basically doing 1200 (sometimes 1000; occ. 1400) since Jan.; down 25lbs. and 2 1/2 lbs from goal. This is called success. When I reach goal, I will increase slightly. Frankly, it hasn't been all that difficult.

It. works. for. me.

This is me too. I'm only about 6 weeks in, but I range the same 1000-1400, and I'm doing just fine. Losing every week, not hungry all the time, and exercising when I can. I really don't understand the big controversy. It's working, and I'm happy about that. I've already decided to keep tracking my calories (probably around the 1800-2000 area) in maintenance so that I will not gain it all back.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    How DARE anyone imply that the people doing 1200 are not capable enough to count their calories and this supposed inability is responsible for the success they have had.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here says they eat 1200. I highly doubt they are as accurate in their tracking as they believe. Cognitive dissonance and dieting start to become synonymous after awhile.

How astute of you...
  • littlelady2b
    littlelady2b Posts: 104
    Options
    I keep mine well under 1200/day and it's worked for 3 months (30 pounds). If I eat more, I don't lose. But do what works for you. I am glad some of you can eat more and lose! I wish I could!

you will have to eventually. that works for the short term, but not in perpetuity.

I am so frustrated with this debate like others on here about weight loss the fact of the matter is this: everyone is different everyone loses weight differently and there is a big difference between men and women when it comes to weight loss muscle mass etc etc!! If you want to lose weight you need to find out the calories and exercise level that works best for you as an individual. We all have different metabolisms, we are different ages, have different schedules, fitness levels and interests are different, yo yo dieters starting over, live in a different environments, and are in different stages in life. Some are in menopause, some have just had babies and some are still planning families. Some people are living with pain and disabilities and are unable to w/o like others. It all plays a part in weight loss. What works for some doesn't work for others and that's what is best about calorie counting because it can be adjusted to the individual! There is no debate about what works for everyone because weight loss doesn't work that way. Some advice may help some people but not others. The diet and exercise industry have made money off of turning people into herd animals for years.We are not herd animals we are all individuals.