Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Nope! I love Facebook.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've been Facebook Free since Jan of 2012. Was my new years resolution.

I found myself being those one of those posters that I hated seeing coming along and posting: I WOKE UP TODAY (then 10min later a new post) I JUST PEED AND READY FOR A GOOD BREAKFAST NUM NUM NUM (10min later) BREAKFAST DONE NOW WHAT?
    LOL I wasn't THAT bad, but I found myself, annoying myself lol.

So, I actually went ahead and canceled the acct the week before Jan 1st 2012 so I know I'd be prepared/no excuses.

Made it through the whole year no problem-o. Just had friends all year going, "did you see on facebook....oh no you didn't you're lame w/o a facebook!" - other than dealing with that lol it was a wonderful year.

lol love it! you may have been on my FL! lol j/k
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I love FB because I am nosey & I like to be in the know.
    I just block the people that *kitten* me or delete them. Easy fixed.
    628462 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I definitely needed a Facebook break! So glad to find this with everyone here for.similar reasons!
  • ElliieMental
    ElliieMental Posts: 189
    Options
    I am thinking about deleting it because I find myself watching other people's lives and moping about how much better they have it than me. Such an unhealthy feeling I know. I see them out enjoying their slim figures, rich husbands, exciting holidays, high achieving kids...... now these feelings aren't so bad as the fact that I see all my friends in photos going out and having fun and I haven't heard from them in forever. I deleted a few of my old best friends for this reason but now it just feels more lonely because I've made sure they won't contact me again.

I'm worried if I delete my account then I'm basically cutting off from the world - but it shouldn't be that way should it? It's like a portal into other people's lives. I really am aware how sad what I'm saying is..... maybe I should just delete my account and try to make some new friends but sometimes I've made new friends by meeting them in real life and them adding them on facebook!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Facebook is so lame, glad I deleted it. All it is is a bunch of people bragging about themselves all day. I deleted it awhile ago, then remade it to check up on a few out of state friends. I saw the same type of annoying crap and logged off.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have never had one. i have never had any desire to have one. I don't care what other people think when i say i don't have one, and i get asked every now and again. I don't think Im cool in the slightest, quite the opposite ha ha. I have a close bunch of friends who i see regularly and a bunch of others who i get in touch with from time to time usually via email. My husband has a fb he almost never posts and gets irritated by the crap other people put on there lol.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about deleting it because I find myself watching other people's lives and moping about how much better they have it than me. Such an unhealthy feeling I know. I see them out enjoying their slim figures, rich husbands, exciting holidays, high achieving kids...... now these feelings aren't so bad as the fact that I see all my friends in photos going out and having fun and I haven't heard from them in forever. I deleted a few of my old best friends for this reason but now it just feels more lonely because I've made sure they won't contact me again.

I'm worried if I delete my account then I'm basically cutting off from the world - but it shouldn't be that way should it? It's like a portal into other people's lives. I really am aware how sad what I'm saying is..... maybe I should just delete my account and try to make some new friends but sometimes I've made new friends by meeting them in real life and them adding them on facebook!
    Maybe you should start reaching out to people instead of sitting back being bitter. This isn't a problem with FB.
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I still have and use mine. Stay in touch with old friends, family who are spread out everywhere, current friends and use it for my business too. It's all what you make of it.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Your FB experience is what you make of it.

This. I don't think I'll ever get rid of FB unless everyone else does too, because my friends and family from all over the world (people I actually really like and love staying in touch with) are on there. I hate FB as a company, but it's where the people I love are, so I am there too. And when I find people on there I don't like (seems like you had a lot of these) I hide them or unfriend them. It's not that hard.

I guess some people have a hard time being in control of their media/social networking, and if they can't manage it so that it isn't obnoxious and taking over their lives with negative crap, then it makes sense to get rid of it. To each their own!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I find I just need to manage it to avoid spending too much time on it. I find it invaluable to keep up with out-of-state friends and family.

I can understand where it is not for everyone. Nothing wrong with removing something from your life for which you have no time.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I recently escaped from Facebook and it was pretty much really great. Anyone else here not have or have cancelled your fb? Some of my favorite things about not having a facebook anymore: not getting chewed out for missing someones event I didn't realize i was invited to, awkward people from my past, like people who were mean to me in highschool friending me. Talking to my husband about real things and ideas, not about what happened on facebook. A few of my favorite things.

I deleted my facebook a year ago, best decision I've ever made. All the time I would spend on facebook, I spend doing productive things now, it's awesome
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    2wlzpcp.jpg
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options
    It does drive me insane for all the reasons listed previously, but i just block the feeds or delete. i try to look at the positives of everything..

I caught up with alot of old friends from school etc.. deleted alot after too (people are not in your life now for a reason and some need to stay in the past)

found lots of family all over the world i havent met before or seen since i was a baby

use the worldwide connections to help raise money for kids with disabilities

It definately has its good points :)
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Still have FB and used to log in for 3-4 hours a day. I do that here now :smile:

My hubby calls this my New FB addiction :bigsmile:

I do still log on to FB, but mostly to stay in touch with friends and play a few of the word games on Mindjolt that I love. Oh and btw, the time now for FB is 3-4 hours per week :wink:
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I have my facebook to share those annoying baby pictures everyone is always complaining about.

I could start doing that here I suppose :laugh:
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I deactivated my Facebook profile July 2012 and I never looked back! I don't miss it at all either-- it is such a colossal waste of time in my opinion. Also, 90% of the people on my friends list were not even my friend; rather someone I met and knew at one point in time.

ETA: typo.
  • pushyourself14
    Options
    I recently escaped from Facebook and it was pretty much really great. Anyone else here not have or have cancelled your fb? Some of my favorite things about not having a facebook anymore: not getting chewed out for missing someones event I didn't realize i was invited to, awkward people from my past, like people who were mean to me in highschool friending me. Talking to my husband about real things and ideas, not about what happened on facebook. A few of my favorite things.

I deleted my facebook a year ago, best decision I've ever made. All the time I would spend on facebook, I spend doing productive things now, it's awesome

Same here!
  • pushyourself14
    Options
    2wlzpcp.jpg

Exactly.
  • KymmyJoy
    KymmyJoy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I hate the thought of deleting mine completely as there are people on there I love to find out how their travels and families are but don't need to be close enough to have phone conversations with.

Having said that I've had to have a few 'breaks' because I find myself getting really wound up at things people post and then remember it's my own fault that I've seen it. Which annoys me even more.

I've actually found it much easier to be open and sociable on here than I thought I would, such a non-judgemental space.