Marathon training... the heat or the treadmill???

Options
2»

Replies

• sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I say take the heat (this is coming from someone who HATES to run in the heat & humidity) I personally know I run differently on a treadmill, my stride is different and my foot strike is different (not to mention it boring to me). So I choose to run outside whenever I can. Unless the roads are full of ice (snow is fine, just not ice) and it is under 90 degrees I will be outside. Obviously a lot slower and possibily less miles if it is 90 and humid. But if you are running a full in the fall (I'm thinking of signing up for my first full in October also :bigsmile: ) Take the heat, embrace the heat, because when the fall rolls around and the temps fall you will be able to run so much easier.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Not crazy about the treadmill but I can see using it on those extreme heat days for shorter runs. But if you can get out early morning or late evening in would be beneficial. I'm not a morning person but I will get up at 5a.m. on Sunday to beat the heat for a long run because I can't handle the treadmill for that length of time.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Run in the heat. Feels good. Good to sweat, too.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    No it won't affect your training. I'm from Florida originally and we would get up and do our long 20-mile runs at 4 AM, that way we were finished before 8 AM to avoid the heat.

A treadmill for longer runs sucks. I was forced to do a 17-mile run on a treadmill...wasn't the most pleasant experience.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Run outside. Embrace the suck.

You may never get used to the humidity, but when fall comes you will be much better for it. Plus you never know what race day weather will be like. If it does turn out to be crappy, are you going to quit and go home?
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I didn't run my 20 milers ona treadmill, but I did a 5 mile warm up outdoors and 15 on the mill and the 15 almost made me go crazy. I'll also say that depending on your race you might need to get used to altitude/air/enviornmental conditions aside fro mthe groundfeel which is important as well.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For my half marathon training (done 2--my third is in a few days), I do most of my training on the treadmill. Ultimately, do what you want but I doubt you'll start running like a slug because you did a few runs on the treadmill.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This is why I could never run a fall marathon. Good luck. I detest treadmills, so I'd brave the heat if it was me.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running outside but I do miss the treadmill it was fairly easy to do interval training to get my pacing where i wanted. It is harder to push myself on the pavement, easier just to push a button and keep up. Also the gym i used to belong had a set of TVs in front of the treadmill I would find a good movie to watch and enjoy the move while going for a nice run much better than sitting on the couch enjoying a movie. Yes I would run for 1 hour or more.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Last year I trained for a November marathon in NYC outside. It was hot and humid and gross but we acclimated. We would start our long runs at 7:00 and finish by 11. I could not imagine training on a treadmill. I am losing my mind and start hating running after about 30 minutes on the treadmill.
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Treadmills make you feel good about how far you can run, and most of them come with a fan. Treadmills enable you to run far longer than you would be able to on the street. These aren't bad things, but running outside is an almost totally different experience. My bliss comes from outdoor runs, so I tailor my long runs around the lowest temps I can manage (in south Texas, heat is a huge big deal.) Running on a track is the worst, especially an inside track. I don't know why, but track running is torturous for me. I'd gladly pick an air-conditioned treadmill or an appallingly early outdoor run over the track run any day, but I make myself run the track once a week whether I want to or not. I consider the three types of running together a kind of cross training. Cross running, if you will. So I run them all every week and throw in an hour or two on an elliptical trainer for good measure. Variety is good, but do your long summer runs outside before the sun comes up.

This sounds like a good idea. Mixing things up also keeps me from getting bored and keeps my legs always guessing what is next. I think breaking it up some by running on the treadmill exercises different muscles in my legs giving others a chance to heal and repair, too. Thanks for the post!
  • Happylady123
    Options
    I disagree that the treadmill helps you out too much. We purchased a brand new proform with the incline/decline google maps app and ifit this February. My hubby and I used it to do alot of training over the winter months for our first Half in May. Thank God for it, and I will tell you one thing, this treadmill is a beast. I could easily run 7-8 mph on my old treadmill, On this new one Its a workout hauling out a 9 min mile pace. But then when I get outside, it seems so much easier. We rocked our half marathons and have been doing multiple 5k's now. Last weekend I placed in my age group with a 7:44 Pace. Do whatever feels best to you, Your Tread sounds just like mine, and Now when I run outside, its easier, a breath of fresh air : ) In more than one aspect!!!

So glad someone else can relate! I love my treadmill! It is not your typical treadmill. It is a challenge, and you can bet I am not watching tv while I am on it! I am changing my form as the incline goes up and down, looking at the street view to see where I "am going," and totally engaged the entire run. It definately is not boring! I can also tell that I feel faster and stronger on my outside runs. I think that is my problem for the most part.... that I am starting out my long run WAY too fast especially in the heat. I have to learn the process of running the long training run.
  • Happylady123
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips and advice! I must say it is hard to hear someone say "embrace the suck" when according to their profile they have only run one 5k. With all due respect, running a 5k is a lot different than spending hours outside running in the heat preparing for a marathon. I can bang out 30 minutes running through anything with no problem. Just saying:laugh:
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I definetly agree that 30 min runs in humidity are much different than 2+ hours in humidity! I have never ran more than a half so I can't comment on 4 hours but I think getting miles in is important! I spent a good portion of my half training on the treadmill and I finished 12 min ahead of my goal for he race and it had an elevation gain of over 1200 ft!
  • Happylady123
    Options
    I definetly agree that 30 min runs in humidity are much different than 2+ hours in humidity! I have never ran more than a half so I can't comment on 4 hours but I think getting miles in is important! I spent a good portion of my half training on the treadmill and I finished 12 min ahead of my goal for he race and it had an elevation gain of over 1200 ft!
    Congrats to you! That is awesome, and glad to hear the treadmill worked out for you! Very encouraging!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips and advice! I must say it is hard to hear someone say "embrace the suck" when according to their profile they have only run one 5k. With all due respect, running a 5k is a lot different than spending hours outside running in the heat preparing for a marathon. I can bang out 30 minutes running through anything with no problem. Just saying:laugh:

lol, too funny! Yea, I could run a 5k blindfolded in the desert and be ok!:) 2-4 hour training runs are a complete different animal, not even considering weather! I have run 8 half's and trained in every weather condition imaginable, but an trying to "embrace the suck" for my first marathon training. It's hard, the treadmill calls my name more often than I'd like, but never for my long runs...I really do "embrace the suck" for those, I just get out early!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

Funny! As I was reading these, I just kept wondering where everyone lived who responded. I live in S FL. I have done 5 half marathons. I try and do my long day outside even if it means getting to the park before the sun rises. From October through May, I can get more days outside and that's fine, but full sun and humidity during those other months...that's killer. All the races in FL are in the winter months, so no real use acclimating myself to 95 degrees and humidity for a race that has no chance having that same weather. I do agree with those who say that it is a different feel and experience from a regular treadmill to pavement and that is why I do get at least one day outside every week.

Good luck!
  • Happylady123
    Options
    Thanks again for all the advice, guys. I ran outside yesterday morning after my 12-hour shift. This was the only way to get it done before it got too hot. My Garmin says the temp. was 75 degrees with 89 percent humidity. I ran in a park with some shading from huge trees. It really was not bad at all at this time. I focused on not letting my heart rate get above 160. If it started to creep up I slowed a tad. I also carried one bottle of Poweraid Zero along for the ride and consumed two gu along the way. I managed to knock out my 12 miles in an avg. 10:20 per mile without feeling like I was dying. I think I am starting to get acclamated. :wink:
  • jacquiroxx922
    jacquiroxx922 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the advice, guys. I ran outside yesterday morning after my 12-hour shift. This was the only way to get it done before it got too hot. My Garmin says the temp. was 75 degrees with 89 percent humidity. I ran in a park with some shading from huge trees. It really was not bad at all at this time. I focused on not letting my heart rate get above 160. If it started to creep up I slowed a tad. I also carried one bottle of Poweraid Zero along for the ride and consumed two gu along the way. I managed to knock out my 12 miles in an avg. 10:20 per mile without feeling like I was dying. I think I am starting to get acclamated. :wink:

Glad that worked for you!! I just read the whole thread because I start marathon training next week and had the same question. My access to a TM isn't as easy and would be at a gym, so not an awesome one like yours (and I would definitely get bored on it). I've been running in the mornings now just to keep my base miles up, but I know it will take a lot of motivation to do long runs (right now my long runs are usually around 5 miles because I'm between training and just keep my base mileage steady until marathon training starts). GL and thanks for asking this question!