Safe Fast Food Suggestions? Share your favorite!

Options
If you're caught out and have to stop at a drive through, what are some of the places you've found safe, and what menu items do you suggest? I tend to like the Mexican-style rotisserie/taco joints like Pollo Tropical, El Pollo Loco and Taco Cabana. How about some more ideas?

Replies

• XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Chipotle...eat half of your order haha
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "safe." I can safely make just about any fast food fit my macros.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Just look through my diary.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I love chipotle but I"m only there once every week or two.

I like the new cobb salad at chick filet (although the dressing is high), and the chicken nuggets. A lot of this depends on what you mean by 'safe'. If it's lo cal, you can get something in the 400 cal range at most ff restaurants. Whether it is actually healthy and full of nutrients is another story.
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell = get 2 crunchy tacos is only 320 calories

MacDonalds =a kids happy meal 6 pcs chicken nuggets with apple slices instead of fries and diet coke! = 250 calories

Chikfila = Grilled chicken sandwich 310 cal and side salad 80 w light italian dressing 25 calories and a fruit cup for dessert 60 calories = 475!!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I truly don't like FF, but once in a while, the kids beg. I've found Burger King's apple, cranberry & chicken salad to be amazeballs. I'm sure the dressing adds some fat, but I haven't suffered any consequences from getting one once in a while.
  • GKoz004
    GKoz004 Posts: 87
    Options
    I always get salads haha. It's the safest bet. I know you can't mess up lettuce and tomatoes lol. The sodium in the chicken might be excessive, but I figure I'd rather have high sodium fake chicken than a giant, greasy mystery meat burger. Plus, the dressing is in packets, so you can add how much or little you want.

As far as Mexican food goes, tacos are generally alright as long as you don't go overboard. A tortilla is usually 50-100cals depending on corn or flour, they can really only fit maybe 2oz of meat in there, plus if you ask for no cheese or not as much cheese, it can certainly be a reasonable meal for maybe around 400cals.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's all safe (maybe not edible, but safe :laugh: ) with a bit of common sense. Don't "supersize" anything and drink water rather than soda. Most of the chains post nutritional information on-line (and have it in store too), if you know where you're going have a look on-line and plan ahead. (I had BK yesterday and still came in within my numbers - a little over on sodium & under on carbs but overall not too horrible)
  • joygomes94
    joygomes94 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell's "Fresco" menu offers 7 options that are under 350 calories.

At McDonald's, a fruit and maple oatmeal (with brown sugar) has 290 calories. A small pineapple mango smoothie has 220, and is surprisingly filling.

And, when I can't resist the urge for a burger, I remember that Burger King's Whopper Junior runs about 340 calories.
  • Samiamy2k
    Samiamy2k Posts: 50
    Options
    I do that a lot- LOL!
    Chipotle...eat half of your order haha
  • Samiamy2k
    Options
    Cool- thanks for the ideas. I've developed a taste for Boca Burgers, but I'm keeping a trip to Five Guys out as a carrot to encourage me to get to my next goal..... Thanks for posting!
    Taco Bell's "Fresco" menu offers 7 options that are under 350 calories.

At McDonald's, a fruit and maple oatmeal (with brown sugar) has 290 calories. A small pineapple mango smoothie has 220, and is surprisingly filling.

And, when I can't resist the urge for a burger, I remember that Burger King's Whopper Junior runs about 340 calories.
  • Samiamy2k
    Options
    Why are you concerned about keeping your carbs up? I'm just curious- I've been consciously trying to push my carbs and fat down and put more protein into my diet. I'm not married to this mix, so if there's a reason this isn't good I'm all ears.
    Thanks,
    Sam
    It's all safe (maybe not edible, but safe :laugh: ) with a bit of common sense. Don't "supersize" anything and drink water rather than soda. Most of the chains post nutritional information on-line (and have it in store too), if you know where you're going have a look on-line and plan ahead. (I had BK yesterday and still came in within my numbers - a little over on sodium & under on carbs but overall not too horrible)
  • Samiamy2k
    Options
    Totally agree. I've thought about that one and the one at Wendy's, but I"m afraid I'd end up with a burger...LOL
    I truly don't like FF, but once in a while, the kids beg. I've found Burger King's apple, cranberry & chicken salad to be amazeballs. I'm sure the dressing adds some fat, but I haven't suffered any consequences from getting one once in a while.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I made a thread similar to this once, was flamed to death by all the fast food haters! ~_~ For me though, like if I go to Wendy's, I get the value fries, value chicken sandwich and a small chilli with a diet coke or water lol. A few said that "800 calories in one meal" is something way too much and something they would never do because its too many calories...I usually can easily fit it into my calories though. I have the problem of going over board on fast food on the weekends though lol
  • trin8ty75
    trin8ty75 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Jack in the Box Chicken Fajita Pita
    Chick Fil A nuggets with a diet lemonade
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I usually tro to focus on quality of the food. maybe a salad has as many carbs as the fries but i'm doing my body a better favor eating the salad. wendys soup and salad. chickfila nuggets. Chipotle awesomeness, panera is good too. I try to stick with chipotle, panera, noodles type places if i need something fast but not drive through fast if that makes sense.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    all fast foodz is the devil...:devil:
  • Puffingmuffin
    Puffingmuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Popeyes 2 piece and mash potato! Yum
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    brown bag all the way....fast food joints are the WORSE for high sodium foods....can you do a tuna wrap from home...or a salad?...it takes no time at all! Happy eating :)
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    In New Zealand:

- subway
    - habitual fix
    - pita pit
    - smart sushi salads
    - sumo salad
    - new world supermarket - pear and parmesan salad, with shredded chicken

among others. There's no excuse, really.