What is a good alternative to pasta?

Options
Hi, I am a great lover of all things pasta but I can't be doing with the amount of calories it adds to a dish. Does anyone have a lower carb/calorie alternative?

Replies

• jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I want to say "couscous"
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Our go to alternatives are zucchini spagetti and hearts of palm!
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash
  • Suffer4beauty
    Suffer4beauty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Brown rice. Some cous cous. Potatoes.

But you can stick to pasta and bulk it up with lots of steamed veggies/cooked veggies. I made pasta the other night with diced tomatoes, garlic, onion, spinach and broccoli and seasoned chicken. You can't even taste the "not as desirable" vegetables if you put lots of you favorites in - like the chicken, the garlic and lots of caramelized onions...
  • portofmorrow
    portofmorrow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    - Whole wheat spaghettini (still pasta, but a better option!)
    - Soba noodles
    - Quinoa
    - Pearl barley
    - Brown rice

Any of these healthy grains could be used in a dish to replace pasta!
  • msstatz
    msstatz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is amazing!
  • djs218
    djs218 Posts: 2
    Options
    Quinoa is an excellent alternative to pasta. It only has 115kcal/100g compared with pasta's 325kcal. Hope that was useful :)
  • MsDrJuris
    MsDrJuris Posts: 41
    Options
    I choose brown rice, although you could also go with a rice pasta.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I want to say "couscous"

Couscous IS pasta.

Wiki:
    Couscous (/ˈkʊskʊs/ or /ˈkuːskuːs/) is a traditional Berber dish of semolina flour (tiny granules of durum wheat) which is cooked by steaming
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Ground Pork
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Slim pasta
    Shirataki noodles
    Mung bean noodles (these are surprisingly common)
    Peeled zucchini
    Finely sliced cabbage
    Mashed potato
    Mashed cauliflower
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    Egg noodles. They taste better and they have more protein.
  • livincleanly27
    Options
    i agree that spaghetti squash is good or u can try quinoa pasta. I bought some the other day but haven't cooked it yet, so i have no idea how it taste.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Squash....

Spaghetti but even summer and zuccini work well.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Having tried all the other options, my choice is....

... slightly smaller portions of pasta. I bulk up my dish with lots of veggies, and have a regular sized serving of pasta, which is usually about 200 calories. I have no problem fitting that into my goals.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Buy a bag of Broccoli Slaw--steam it in the microwave about 5-10 minutes. Save half for leftovers and use half for your "pasta." It's soft but a little crunchy, and I now prefer it over any kind of pasta, which now seems to me to feel limp, tasteless, and full of useless calories.

So, instead of 250 calories of basically nothing worthwhile, it's only 25 or so calories of broccoli (fiber, vitamins)--yum and win-win!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Can you continue to eat pasta, but just weigh out a reasonable portion? Get the rest of your calories from protein and fat?
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Buy a bag of Broccoli Slaw--steam it in the microwave about 5-10 minutes. Save half for leftovers and use half for your "pasta." It's soft but a little crunchy, and I now prefer it over any kind of pasta, which now seems to me to feel limp, tasteless, and full of useless calories.

So, instead of 250 calories of basically nothing worthwhile, it's only 25 or so calories of broccoli (fiber, vitamins)--yum and win-win!

I've just discovered broccoli slaw! This is the recipe I've been using it in:

http://www.katrina-runs.com/whole-30-day-20-pass-the-cheese

I've modified it a bit since the first time I made it. I use a can of rotel instead of separate cans of tomatoes/chiles and I use homemade taco seasoning in place of the seasonings listed.