What have you learned?

Terpnista84
Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
What lessons have you learned during your weight loss/lifestyle change that you plan?

1. Slow and steady wins the race. Whenever I tried to lose in the past, I would always try to start out drastically because I was always in a rush to get to my goal. I would start at low-carb diets (that I stuck with only a few days) and try to take short cuts. I have learned that the time to lose weight is worth it and should not be rushed.

2. Only eat what you have earned. We have free will to eat whatever we please, but that doesn't mean we should. Certain foods have to be earned. Now I eat according to my activity level instead of what I want to treat myself and feel I deserve it.

3. Food is not for comfort. I hardly ever eat for comfort anymore. I used to anticipate takeout on Fridays to start my weekends and/or have a pancake breakfast on Saturday. A lot of times I would eat just to elevate my mood. I have discovered that exercise if far more effective.

4. I can live without soda (self-explanatory)

5. Do what makes me feel good. Eating crap made me feel like crap. I like that eating healthy/being healthy has had an overall positive effect on me. I've definitely learned that you truly are what you eat.

Feel free to add on...

Replies

• Atishi87
    Atishi87 Posts: 51 Member
    You have to stick to clean eating for at least 2-3 months to see results. Holds true for me, dunno about others.

Also, lifting is way better than cardio if you wanna see changes.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    I am stronger and more capable than I give myself credit for
    Doubt is stupid
    Surround yourself with people who get it and are in it
    Take pride in eating for nutrition and fitness benefits
    Evaluate and reevaluate your goals
    Have fun and inspire
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Take the time to understand why you overeat and to identify your triggers. Otherwise, you might lose all the weight, but until you truly understand what got you to where you are, you carry a high risk of gaining the weight back. Especially when eating is your go-to coping mechanism.
  • imageaddict
    imageaddict Posts: 6 Member
    It's less about how much you eat, and more about what you eat!
    The weight will come off easily once the foods you're intolerant of are removed from your diet (for me, gluten, dairy, soy).
    Most cravings lessen with time. (I too can live without Diet Coke!)
    I can do it (diet, exercise) for myself even when no one else around me is (although they might desperately need to!)
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Don't put the word 'only' before the word 'lost' when talking about what you lost this past week. Some weeks are smaller than what you may expect even though you feel you did EVERYTHING 100% right. Other weeks when you feel that you may not have been 100%, your loss may just surprise you.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    No, I will not die if I try to exercise (I can even run).

I learnt to drink water all through the day.

I can eat pretty "clean" but still have one or two treats on weekends and have them fit my cal goal and macros.

Losing weight can be painless if done right.

I can have ups and downs and not have it ruin all my efforts.

The "all or nothing"mentality can be fought even if it's hard as f*** :)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    The scale lies
    Make goals that aren't all about size (like lifting certain amount, running a certain length)
    Life's too short, eat the foods you want without guilt.
    One bad day doesn't ruin everything.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Don't put the word 'only' before the word 'lost' when talking about what you lost this past week. Some weeks are smaller than what you may expect even though you feel you did EVERYTHING 100% right. Other weeks when you feel that you may not have been 100%, your loss may just surprise you.

I have to keep that in mind even after all this time :)
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    What lessons have you learned during your weight loss/lifestyle change that you plan?

Eat right to lose weight; exercise to change your body shape. Two different goals, two different approaches.

Drink water. A lot of water.

Exercise is not a punishment for eating too many calories. It's a way to celebrate the amazing capabilities of the body you're blessed with.

Never, never, never, never give up.
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    The scale lies
    Make goals that aren't all about size (like lifting certain amount, running a certain length)
    Life's too short, eat the foods you want without guilt.
    One bad day doesn't ruin everything.

Yes, yes, yes!
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    I have learned that keeping a record of everything I eat really helps me to evaluate the level of health going in to my body.

I have learned that I like having the energy to keep up with my kids when we go out to play

I have learned that when I eat well, the level of energy I have through out the day DRASTICALLY increases.

I have learned that that same level of energy makes my nights with the hubs more fun too ;-)

I have learned that I really really love fish

I have learned that this isn't a race. 2lbs a week wont make huge fast changes in how I look but I feel great and I know I can keep up with this until I reach my goal.

Mostly I have learned that when I eat like crap-I feel like crap. When I eat great-I feel great. Kind of a no brainer.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    I never knew there were so many factors that went into determining someone's calorie goals for the day.

I always thought it was as simple as one number for men, one number for women, and one number for pregnant and nursing women.

Also muffins. I am still baffled by how many calories muffins have, most of the other high calories foods I already knew but this one, I just can't get over.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I love to cook. Always have. Always will.

Since it is just my husband and me, I've learned to cut recipes in half, thirds or even quarters.

My freezer is only so big and I certainly do not need to buy another for 2 people.
  • mikedel48
    mikedel48 Posts: 7 Member
    The importance (for me) of tracking calorie input to achieve sustained weight loss.

I tracked cardio-related calorie expenditures for the last ten years, but just kept cycling through the same 5-10 pounds of weight loss/gain. When I started using MFP last November I gained insight into the caloric cost of the snacking that I did on a daily basis. I discovered that I can hold myself accountable IF (and only if) I have the data to base it on.
  • AA1ex
    AA1ex Posts: 223 Member
    When trying new things open your mind. (Great for life, in general)

When trying healthier options from classic favorites, understand it is meant to be similar and will NEVER be the same. (ex. instead of buffalo wings I now do cauliflower buffalo bites)

When trying new workouts, just do your best! There is no need to kill yourself trying to go as fast as the paid professionals or "challenging" the person next to you.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    You can eat whatever you want and lose weight as long as in a calorie deficit.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    I've learned to read everything and watch my calories. There's no way I'm going to eat one 200 calorie piece of chocolate candy after I walked in the summer heat for an hour to burn those calories.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    I am stronger and more capable than I give myself credit for
    Doubt is stupid
    Surround yourself with people who get it and are in it
    Take pride in eating for nutrition and fitness benefits
    Evaluate and reevaluate your goals
    Have fun and inspire

I like this thinking :))
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    I learned that I am an odd duck with abnormal nutritional needs.

But being an odd duck works for me. "Quark". =)
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    I have learned that portion control is very important. I realized that I didn't need to eat as much as I thought I did before I started measuring. I also learned that I don't need to drink pop all the time, water is such a better choice. Also I learned that diet pop was messing with my stomach. When I stopped drinking diet my tummy felt better, didn't even realized it felt weird but noticed a difference when I stopped.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!