sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Glucerna bars for me. c:
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Pure protein - 30g Protein
    Snickers - 4g

I eat protein bars for protein when I need a boost on that macro. Not for taste.

Snickers are awesome though!!!

Edit: Should be Premier Protein Bars.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I prefer Zone Perfect. I don't even eat candy bars anymore, honestly. I've tried the Nature Valley protein bars and the Snickers Marathon bars and didn't find either appetizing, and neither contain the same amount of protein as Zone Perfect.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I like the fiber one bars personally, but really only on days where I don't mind wasting 150 ish calories on them. They really are just candy bars that give you gas.
  • cmstraut
    cmstraut Posts: 15
    Options
    Depends on your nutrition goals.

Nature's Valley:
    Calories 190 Sodium 170 mg
    Total Fat 12 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 4 g Total Carbs 14 g
    Polyunsaturated 1 g Dietary Fiber 5 g
    Monounsaturated 7 g Sugars 6 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 10 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg

Snicker's Bar:
    Calories 250 Sodium 120 mg
    Saturated 5 g Total Carbs 33 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 27 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 4 g
    Cholesterol 5 mg

Taste-wise, sure, I'd rather the Snickers, but it's not going to help me much with my protein goals. :frown:

That's it! Its all about those small changes in your life that will ultimately help you make smarter and healthier choices. Baby steps in the better direction can be helpful for some ppl. Everyone has different goals, so for some this is a better alternative to the afternoon candy bar, especially diabetics. For me, its simply about the more fiber and protein and less sugar
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I used to love the protein bars, but I noticed that when I ate them day in, day out, that I became extremely...gassy.

It was pointed out to me that many of these bars (like Pure Protein, Power Bar, etc) are sweetened with Sugar Alcohol - it has like 20 different names. Bottom line, if you eat Sugar Alcohol, you can expect it to light up your pants.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Compare the calories, fat protein carbs and sugars and decide
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Pure protein - 30g Protein
    Snickers - 4g

I eat protein bars for protein when I need a boost on that macro. Not for taste.

Snickers are awesome though!!!

Edit: Should be Premier Protein Bars.

I'm with you on that, usually post workout when I don't want a shake. Or if I'm on the go with my kids, quick grab and tides me over til I get home, then I'm not tempted by other things along the way.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

The snickers marathon bars are quite tasty.

particularly that one:

854-0001.jpg

google-image-result-for-http-cupofzup-com-wp-content-uploads-2012-04-mother-of-god-gif-09848b33-original.gif
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    People need to realize that it is all relative. What is appropriate for one individual may not be appropriate for another. This is why it is important to actually research nutrition and understand what your body needs. A good protein bar laden with sugar is awesome after a killer lifting session...protein for the muscles and some sugar to boost energy and start restoring those glycogen stores. In that RE it's a perfectly "healthy" thing to do. Now, sitting down to a couple of these while you're just sitting around all day watching t.v....probably not the best choice.
  • mcgeorge5
    mcgeorge5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all the responses, I am still relatively new to this and am learning as I go :)
    Thank you!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I really like the natures valley bars. Oh well to each their own.

Me too- especially the salted caramel nut ones. I just *gasp* don't eat them EVERY DAY...AND only one at a time...who knew?
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I will normally just have a snicker if I want one but these aren't to bad and they have multiple flavors. I am not one to be scared off by sugar so.........

7e0b4aa4-cba3-4a14-9b3d-384dc1827399_zps0b11f964.jpg

My favorite of those is the peanut butter one, tastes like a candy bar but is slightly better for me!
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That is a candy bar. just simple low quality carbs and sugar and a ton of other junk. Don't let anyone fool you into believing that those are 'healthy'. It is an indulgence and should be treated as such when you are making food choices.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Nature's Valley:
    Trans 0 g Protein 10 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg

Snicker's Bar:
    Trans 0 g Protein 4 g
    Cholesterol 5 mg

Taste-wise, sure, I'd rather the Snickers, but it's not going to help me much with my protein goals. :frown:

peanuts are an excellent source of (shot myself in the head midpost)....

I lol'd
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    They kind of are, but more protein and less sugar/carbs. I still eat one every day because I like them and they fit my macros.

ETA: The pure protein bars pack a lot more protein, but they do not agree as nicely with my stomach. I save them for when I don't reach my protein goals via other foods.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Nature's Valley:
    Trans 0 g Protein 10 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg

Snicker's Bar:
    Trans 0 g Protein 4 g
    Cholesterol 5 mg

Nice job of bringing it to the facts. I'm not a fan of such bars, but they clearly have a better profile than a snickers bar in several ways. One thing I don't understand are the fat numbers on Snickers. A total of 12 grams of fat. Five saturated. and zero of any other kind of fat? where are those other 7 grams?
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    it doesn't taste as good?

This. I'd rather have what I was actually craving :laugh:
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    there is a little less sugar, but not really doing anything at all for you health wise. good for you for being on top of things. most foods labeled "healthy" are junk in disguise!