Am I Eating Too Little and Freaking My Body Out???

Options
2»

Replies

• itsmandible
    itsmandible Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Your only mistake was listening to Jillian Michaels podcasts.

hahah not a fan of hers?
  • itsmandible
    Options
    Two weeks isn't enough time to warrant changing things up.

Yep. Stick with the plan.

Might want to review the calories you're eating back from exercise. May be overestimating on that front.

Okay, I think I was just worrying myself with the podcasts I'd be listening to! What would be too long of plateau where I should look at my fitness side? Definitely going to reevaluate my calorie intake too since it doesn't seem like it's right according to MFP!

If you don't lose anything for six weeks, that may indicate a plateau.

ETA: while I was losing the "big chunk" of weight (60 pounds), my weight would level off for three weeks, then I would drop 3-4 pounds. Just keep doing what you're doing, because it sounds like you are doing great...but if after six weeks the scale hasn't budged, then re-evaluate. Good luck! :)

GOT IT! Thank you, that's very helpful (:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Okay, so my BMR came out to be 1557, according to this calculator (http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-How-Many-Calories-You-Need-to-Eat-to-Lose-Weight). Now, since I workout 5 days a week (plus walking a mile to and from work 6 days a week), I figured I should multiply by the moderate activity one, so I multiplied by 1.55. Now, that puts me at 2414, so do I subtract 500 from that to lose a pound a week or do I subtract it from the original 1557..................

You don't subtract from BMR.

If you're doing a TDEE approach that accounts for your exercise level, you don't eat back exercise calories.

If you're following the MFP approach, you input an activity level that reflects your non-exercise activity level, then eat back your exercise calories.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Okay, so my BMR came out to be 1557, according to this calculator (http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-How-Many-Calories-You-Need-to-Eat-to-Lose-Weight). Now, since I workout 5 days a week (plus walking a mile to and from work 6 days a week), I figured I should multiply by the moderate activity one, so I multiplied by 1.55. Now, that puts me at 2414, so do I subtract 500 from that to lose a pound a week or do I subtract it from the original 1557..................

IMO it's a bad idea to just look at a chart and estimate a category of how active you are. The categories are too broad and vague and individual activity levels vary too much day to day, week to week.

Instead, stick with "sedentary" (multiply by 1.2) and then add exercise calories on top of that number. So your sedentary TDEE would be about 1870. Take 20% off that and you're looking at a goal of 1500 calories a day. Then you add exercise on top of that.

For example, if you go running for an hour and burn 600 calories, your actual TDEE that day is 1870+600 = 2470. If you eat back those 600 calories, you ate 1500+600 = 2100 that day.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Okay, so my BMR came out to be 1557, according to this calculator (http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-How-Many-Calories-You-Need-to-Eat-to-Lose-Weight). Now, since I workout 5 days a week (plus walking a mile to and from work 6 days a week), I figured I should multiply by the moderate activity one, so I multiplied by 1.55. Now, that puts me at 2414, so do I subtract 500 from that to lose a pound a week or do I subtract it from the original 1557.................. and if I subtract 750 for a pound and a half from that higher numbers it puts me right where I'm at now, more of less. so I'm calculating something wrong....

So do you count the walking as exercise? That adds to the day for sure if not thought of as exercise. Probably higher than Moderately Active by that method.

So you see how high you could go and probably maintain weight, easily 2400 or more.

Since you've been doing the MFP method, stick with it, just some tweaks since so close to goal weight, and nows not the time to lose muscle mass.

MFP Activity level outside exercise - Lightly Active, since you walk daily.
    Weight loss goal, 1 lb weekly since you are down to final 10 lbs.

Should give maintenance of 2102 for non-exercise day, sounds about right.
    500 cal deficit makes it 1602 NET eating goal.

Eat back exercise calories except for walking which was included already, minus 10%. (if you were to do the TDEE method with exercise included, you'd be doing 10% off total TDEE, which includes exercise).

So 500 cal burn is logged as 450 to eat back. Or log the whole thing for sake of records and remember to leave 50 on the table.

So rest days will be 1600 about, exercise days will be upwards of perhaps 2000-2100 depending on your burn.
  • itsmandible
    Options
  • itsmandible
    Options

IMO it's a bad idea to just look at a chart and estimate a category of how active you are. The categories are too broad and vague and individual activity levels vary too much day to day, week to week.

Instead, stick with "sedentary" (multiply by 1.2) and then add exercise calories on top of that number. So your sedentary TDEE would be about 1870. Take 20% off that and you're looking at a goal of 1500 calories a day. Then you add exercise on top of that.

For example, if you go running for an hour and burn 600 calories, your actual TDEE that day is 1870+600 = 2470. If you eat back those 600 calories, you ate 1500+600 = 2100 that day.

I see!! Okay, what good information! I was struggling to navigate through all of the numbers. So is 20% looking at a pound a week then? Do you recommend this method over MFP or is it kind of to each his own?
  • itsmandible
    Options
    Okay, so my BMR came out to be 1557, according to this calculator (http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-How-Many-Calories-You-Need-to-Eat-to-Lose-Weight). Now, since I workout 5 days a week (plus walking a mile to and from work 6 days a week), I figured I should multiply by the moderate activity one, so I multiplied by 1.55. Now, that puts me at 2414, so do I subtract 500 from that to lose a pound a week or do I subtract it from the original 1557.................. and if I subtract 750 for a pound and a half from that higher numbers it puts me right where I'm at now, more of less. so I'm calculating something wrong....

So do you count the walking as exercise? That adds to the day for sure if not thought of as exercise. Probably higher than Moderately Active by that method.

So you see how high you could go and probably maintain weight, easily 2400 or more.

Since you've been doing the MFP method, stick with it, just some tweaks since so close to goal weight, and nows not the time to lose muscle mass.

MFP Activity level outside exercise - Lightly Active, since you walk daily.
    Weight loss goal, 1 lb weekly since you are down to final 10 lbs.

Should give maintenance of 2102 for non-exercise day, sounds about right.
    500 cal deficit makes it 1602 NET eating goal.

Eat back exercise calories except for walking which was included already, minus 10%. (if you were to do the TDEE method with exercise included, you'd be doing 10% off total TDEE, which includes exercise).

So 500 cal burn is logged as 450 to eat back. Or log the whole thing for sake of records and remember to leave 50 on the table.

So rest days will be 1600 about, exercise days will be upwards of perhaps 2000-2100 depending on your burn.

Wow! Okay, I didn't realize the methods didn't coexist - I thought everyone knew something I didn't! I'm shocked I lost a chunk of weight without knowing all of this! I don't log the walking whatsoever since it just started a month ago for my summer job, as I figured it'd be a nice surprise supplement to what I've already been doing! haha (: Okay, this is very helpful, thank you SO much for your time!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My method is the MFP method. MFPs categories are meant to cover non exercise activity, like if you're on your feet a lot at work. Add exercise on top of it.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't enough time to warrant changing things up.

Yep. Stick with the plan.

Might want to review the calories you're eating back from exercise. May be overestimating on that front.

yah, not at all. my loss went on the go slow for 3-4 months, my body changed a lot but the scale went slow. you cant drop 1lb a week forever.

give it time, but yeh, its possible that a little shake up in routine could help as people suggested.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other people on here. I don't think you're eating too less at all! I eat 1400, and am lightly-moderately active and I'm still losing. Just hang in there, and you'll keep losing. The last few pounds are always the hardest.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Wow! Okay, I didn't realize the methods didn't coexist - I thought everyone knew something I didn't! I'm shocked I lost a chunk of weight without knowing all of this! I don't log the walking whatsoever since it just started a month ago for my summer job, as I figured it'd be a nice surprise supplement to what I've already been doing! haha (: Okay, this is very helpful, thank you SO much for your time!
    They can coexist. Walking is not a huge calorie burn so it just gave you a little more deficit. The 1200 minimum suggested by dietitians is to get proper nutrients and a reasonable amount of energy and it has no exercise component. "Net" is an idea that seems to work for a lot of people, but it is easy to over compensate for exercise. Anyway, it is up to you to decide which method works best for you.
  • cstclair1973
    Options
    take your daily BMR * 7 days (10,899 + total weekly workout calories), then subtract your weekly calories from food intake....divide that by 3500 (amount of deficit needed to lose 1 pound of fat) that will give you how much weight you should be losing each week. Remember as you lose weight your BMR will decrease. Also, remember these are fairly accurate, but not exact amounts. I have used my routine now by watching my BMR weekly and adjusting my cardio and food intake. I do NOT believe in the "starvation mode". For one, your body is intelligent enough to know that it has reserves to burn (as long as there is fat on the body). Starvation mode is for those who are already in shape and have minimal body fat.

My BMR is 1903 (13,321 + workout calories burned (8400)) = 21,721 calories burned for the week. Food intake is roughly 1200 calories daily (I eat 3 meals and healthy snacks throughout the day) = 7,700. 21,721 - 8,400 = 13,321/3500 = 3.8lbs lost weekly. So far since I have gone to this method I have stayed near that estimate. I DO NOT eat back my calories burned. Why would you want to eat back what you have worked so hard to lose? Your body can receive what it needs through other sources than food intake (i.e. consuming fat on the body).
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I agree...not too few calories....I am 197 pounds and I only eat 1800 calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

When you have a lot to lose, you have a huge (pun intended) margin for error.
    Meaning you can do a bunch of things wrong and still see weight lost. What is the weight from though?

Sadly, some is going to be muscle mass, and that will bite you later.

Now some manage to not only take a huge deficit, but also exercise a huge amount, and even with a lot to lose screech to halt in loss.

But usually it's when you get down in weight that doing enough wrong backfires.

And then 5 months at weight loss plateau trying many things always in the wrong direction (eat less exercise more or some combo), makes the initial weight loss not all that fast when you add all the time together.

If reasonable deficit had been taken from the start and adjusted as weight was lost, likely no issues at all, and probably faster loss and much better body shape as many discover.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bump