I ate 3,000 calories today, and...

Options

Replies

• jaysonbrody
    Options
    Spoken like a true TWENTY TWO year old.

Try that *kitten* in 5 years and let me know how it works out.

Ninja PLEASE

You don't even have to TRY to stay thin at 22. Its easy, its called awesome metabolism.

Go to any ice cream place and look who is ordering the 2000 calorie monster shakes, its model-thin teenage girls.

Talking a lot of *kitten* for a kid with great metabolism.

When I was in my early 20s, I'd eat a candy bar and sugar soda at every break at work, I'd eat the 2-3000 calorie meals when dining out, drink sugared alcohol drinks with impunity and still stayed at 10% bodyfat. That all changes fast. You get into those bad habits and "once in a while" turns into a permanent fat gain every time.

YOU SOUND LIKE YOUR BITTER AND ANGRY. YOU SHOULD HAVE A CANDY BAR OR A SUGAR SODA LOL !!!!
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

Ninja PLEASE

You don't even have to TRY to stay thin at 22. Its easy, its called awesome metabolism.

Go to any ice cream place and look who is ordering the 2000 calorie monster shakes, its model-thin teenage girls.

When I was in my early 20s, I'd eat a candy bar and sugar soda at every break at work, I'd eat the 2-3000 calorie meals when dining out, drink sugared alcohol drinks with impunity and still stayed at 10% bodyfat. That all changes fast. You get into those bad habits and "once in a while" turns into a permanent fat gain every time.
    49 and still do it. Not 10% bodyfat, but within 15%. No such thing as "permanent" fat gain. If that were true, then people couldn't lose weight on calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jaysonbrody
    Options
    @ (Marc8686) Stop telling yourself it's a disease or a disorder.. See it for what it truly is and you will learn to manage much better.No offense meant buddy.
    No offense taken. I manage pretty well these days. When you want nothing more than to do one thing but still feel this overwhelming urge to pointlessly sabotage it, that's not normal. Unless someone has suffered from this they don't understand.

Well I have suffered from it buddy so I do understand. But as long as you see it as not normal, as a disease or disorder you allow yourself room for excuse. You have to realize its the way you view certain foods that needs to change. It's attainment of self control and finding a healthier way to fill the void. A healthier way to deal with the emotions. I used to get happy and eat, get depressed and eat, get bored and eat. Only food made me happy and all I did was think about the next thing to eat sometimes. So I do understand.
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @ (Marc8686) Stop telling yourself it's a disease or a disorder.. See it for what it truly is and you will learn to manage much better.No offense meant buddy.
    No offense taken. I manage pretty well these days. When you want nothing more than to do one thing but still feel this overwhelming urge to pointlessly sabotage it, that's not normal. Unless someone has suffered from this they don't understand.

Well I have suffered from it buddy so I do understand. But as long as you see it as not normal, as a disease or disorder you allow yourself room for excuse. You have to realize its the way you view certain foods that needs to change. It's attainment of self control and finding a healthier way to fill the void. A healthier way to deal with the emotions. I used to get happy and eat, get depressed and eat, get bored and eat. Only food made me happy and all I did was think about the next thing to eat sometimes. So I do understand.
    I'm perfectly aware of what it is. And the fact that there's anything to be aware of and overcome by definition makes it an obstacle to overcome. Don't presume to understand the intricacies of others struggles on here. There are no excuses going on here. However you want to label it its still beatable and doesnt force us to do anything. Im winning right now and I'm more on track than I've ever been with an awesome attitude, drive, perspective and clarity on what I'm doing. If you want to state your opinion based on your experiences ok but that's what they are. Everyone has their own battles "buddy"
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I really really like this post OP. however I will state one exception. This concept could be very difficult to people who suffer from compulsive eating disorder or a food addiction. That's like telling an alcoholic that a swig here and there won't hurt, next thing you know they chugged the whole bottle. Being one who tends to eat compulsively, I have to be VERY careful when I treat myself that it doesn't turn into a trend or a binge every time I have a cookie. Going back to chicken and salad the morning after a night of Edys ice cream and pizza can be very difficult and even risky to try for those with an eating disorder. Overall thugh I agree, majority of ppl should just relax and enjoy life and accept that 10 steps forward and 1 step back is still 9 steps progress.

Understandable! I definitely wasn't gearing this post towards anyone with disordered eating; obviously those are special circumstances. Compulsive eating or food addiction can be serious and I know a "binge day" wouldn't be so easy to shake off for those people. Same thing in the opposite direction; obviously someone with anorexia isn't going to be able to just "lighten up" when they eat more than they wanted to. This post is directed more towards the average MFP-er who doesn't seem to understand that weight loss doesn't have to be all-or-nothing :)

Also, HEY EVERYONE, please stop fighting on my positive thread kthnxbye :glasses: :happy:
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    don't cheat yourself treat yourself :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I came in here to troll, I left saying Rock on OP, rock on.

YouWin2.png
  • Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options
    Great post! I've been at this for just over a month now, and there's been a few days where I've gone over by 1,000 calories (hell, there was one day I went over by 2,000). I've still lost weight every single week. Sometimes it's only .4 of a lb, but it's still a loss!
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream every day. I support this post.
  • Ashanti40
    Ashanti40 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I needed this today. Thank you! :smile:
  • icandowhateveriputmymindto
    Options
    This is great.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    IN for more ice-cream!
  • alibee81
    alibee81 Posts: 62
    Options
    :drinker: Best post ever, way to put things into perspective OP! :flowerforyou:
  • Nicoodlenoodle
    Nicoodlenoodle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • blibby33
    blibby33 Posts: 53
    Options
    bump to read later
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Great post!!

Ninja PLEASE

In my 30's and not having an issue. Everything in moderation. I've consumed well over 3000 calories in a day and it hasn't sabotaged my weight loss.
  • Mizuki1221
    Options
    I love this post! Thank you for saying the one thing I wish my sister would understand (she has restrictive-eating behaviors, post-anorexia).
  • SteveStedge
    Options

Ninja PLEASE
    Sorry to ruin your fantasy but I maintain at about 3000 calories and I'm 43 years old.
    From your profile ' I was always "thin." Then in my 30's I slowed down and gained weight."
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I feel great.

Give me a second to explain myself. This is for all the topics I see on here, on a daily basis, that declare "I went ____ calories over my goal! I'm a failure!" Or "I totally binged today and ate 300 calories of cookies! I've ruined all my hard work!" If you've ever posted one of those threads, or thought something similar, I'd like to share some thoughts with you.

My daily goal is to net about 1430 calories. Depending on exercise, this means I normally eat anywhere from 1400-1800 calories a day. I've been trying paleo recently (and actually loving it, but that's a different story), so my calorie intake has been a bit lower than normal because I've been adjusting to the new foods. Today, I was in a great mood and I decided I deserve a treat. I hadn't had a proper "cheat day" in a long time. Months, really. Maybe a couple hundred calories extra here or there, but nothing major.

So today, I ate Wendy's, ice cream, Olive Garden, and I'm about to eat more ice cream. When all is said and done I will have eaten over 3000 calories today. Given that my daily goal is half that, you'd think I'd be upset.

Nope.

Why not?

1) It was freaking delicious
    2) I won't gain weight this week, because I was under my goal the other days of the week

and more importantly

3) One day really doesn't make a gosh darn lick of difference in the grand scheme of things!

Think about it. Many of you on this website have been overweight for YEARS, or maybe even your whole life. You've eaten thousands of calories on a daily basis. Now, you've turned yourself around. You're eating less, you're eating healthier, and that's great. But you're honestly going to get mad at yourself for ONE day of eating like you used to? C'mon, now. There's no need for that.

Most people are on here are at a 500 calorie per day deficit (some more, some less... but for the sake of argument let's say 500/day). First of all, this means if you go 300 calories over your goal, YOU WON'T GAIN WEIGHT. You're still under your maintenance amount of calories. You won't even maintain your weight. You'll lose weight, maybe just not as fast as you would have at the 500 calorie deficit. If you go 400 calories over your goal, you won't gain weight. If you go 500 calories over your goal, you won't gain weight. Starting to see a pattern?

If you go more than 500 calories over your goal, you probably STILL won't gain weight, because assuming you've been at your goal the rest of the week, you're still at an overall calorie deficit.

Even if you have a true "binge" and go 5000 calories over your goal, SO WHAT? You might gain, what, a pound? Which you'll probably lose again in the next week? Calm down. Deeeeep breaths. If you've got 50 pounds to lose, and you've already lost 30, and you gain ONE, is that really the end of the world? In the grand scheme of your weight loss journey, does that really make a difference?

What I'm trying to say is, too many people on this site see food and calories as the enemy. I can see where that's coming from - after all, calories are what made you fat, right? And you never want to go back to that! - but frankly, it's not healthy. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. And if you're beating yourself up about going a few hundred calories over your goal, you need to give yourself a mental break. It's OKAY. Seriously. You're going to be fine. You've done so well already, and you're going to keep doing amazing, and a bump in the road isn't going to change that.

So next time you find yourself with your hand in the box of oreos after a perfectly healthy week, just enjoy the darn oreos. Seriously. Life is too short, people.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to curl up in bed with my half gallon of Edy's Butterfinger ice cream.

^ THIS.