It's cold, and I want to eat everything

Replies

• Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    << '[Adelaide, and freezing. I was struggling at the beginning of Winter a lot myself, then a friend on MFP drilled into me 'Protein'.

I think adjusting your Macros accordingly helps a lot too, but in not a professional on that...

Haven't looked back. Has made a massive difference. ")
  • I agree lots of low cal soup. Veggies and I add quinoa to bulk it up.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    <<<<<<<NSW here

This winter was much harder for me than last winter as I'm SO CLOSE to my goal weight so I have less calories to play with. Last year I was still morbidly obese so I had 1900-odd calories through winter.

I've been FREEZING lately, and it's only June! I have also discovered that being skinnier makes me feel the cold a lot more acutely! When I was 140+kg, I LOVED winter; it was my favourite season. Now...ick. I have to say I'm starting to hate it!

Advice from my end:

* Hot herbal teas - my favourite thing to make is a pot of ginger and lemon "tea" made from roughly chopped fresh ginger and sliced lemon. Very warming and staves off some of the "give me food NOW" feeling. As one of the earlier posters said, you're not really hungry. You're cold.

* Keep yourself rugged up. Shivering takes energy...which then demands more food.

* Exercise - not only does it warm you up but it also gives you bonus calories to play with! So literally, if you want to eat everything in sight, sweat a couple of hundred calories off and you can!

* Soups are great. You can make a low cal vegetable soup that you can snack on and keep you warm at the same time. Or you can make a hearty soup that will also keep you full longer.

* Milo made on hot water doesn't taste the same as when made on milk, but at 40-odd calories only, it's a great treat.

* I have also lowered my weight loss goal while it's cold this year (helps that I'm close to goal and if I maintained my trajectory I'd beon 1200 calories/day and that just makes for a very unhappy and sick phoenixgirl81 - literally, headaches, nausea, etc). I agree with an earlier poster that our bodies have evolved to store food during the winter not lose it. I've reduced from 0.75-1kg/wk loss (which I've maintained since March last year) to 0.5kg/wk or less. It makes me less irritable than when trying to stay in a lowered calorie goal.

Hope this helps. :)
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    How cold is it? Sorry now I realise this is ignorant but we were always lead to believe Australian winters are similar to our summers,I live in Ireland,today its about 15 c ,I know June 25th,so how cold is it?
  • MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    Bugger it being cold and wanting to eat everything, I just ALWAYS want to eat everything! I'm in SW WA and our winter days are pretty mild (I used to live in the South West Slopes of NSW and the difference is noticable, warmer here by a mile!). Eggs and porridge are my current breakfast staple and I still can't go without my morning coffee never fails to warm me up! :smile:
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    I'm saving this for when october comes here, I haven't yet been through a winter trying to lose weight..
  • MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    How cold is it? Sorry now I realise this is ignorant but we were always lead to believe Australian winters are similar to our summers,I live in Ireland,today its about 15 c ,I know June 25th,so how cold is it?

Where I live it right now in WA is around 15c during the day and down to around 4-5 c of a night. Where I used to live in NSW it wasn't unheard of to have a good run of 8-10 c days and then get down to -5c of a night.
  • BananaFaceFace
    BananaFaceFace Posts: 70 Member
    I am frozen here in Adelaide!! I keep eating my weight in crumpets and grilled cheese! Cannot wait for summer so I can happily live off salads and fruit and veg.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Yep, it's called comfort food. So do something else..... knit, sew, walk indoors. Do something to take your mind off it.
  • 2bawallaby
    2bawallaby Posts: 17
    Hi in Canberra here. Was -7 on Sunday-BRRR.!!!! During the day at the moment it is lucky to reach 11. I moved here from North Queensland so I feel the cold really bad. Been here 5 yrs and this is the hardest winter for me. I think it is only because I am watching every mouthful on a 1200 calorie diet. Will have to cook up some vegetable soup. Love chicken and sweet corn soup but that is not as good as the vegetable soup. I was going for a walk at work when I was looking for food, but it is so cold during the day I don't want to venture out.

Keep the tips coming guys please. I need all of the help I can get.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Eat lots of lovely homemade soups and stews. Those aren't too unhealthy if you make them mostly from vegetables.

Also here's my gran's recipe for real hot chocolate. So much tastier and healthier than that crap they sell readymade:

milk (whole milk is tastiest, but suppose skim is better for your diet)
    1 part pure cocoa powder, 1 part dark brown sugar (quantity vs. milk depends on how strong you like your hot chocolate)
    pinch of cinnamon

Heat up the milk in a saucepan until just under boiling point (don't let it boil, gets yucky). Mix the cocoa powder, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small pot or cup. Add a little splash of milk to mix it to a paste. Add to the warm milk and give it a good stir so everything is dissolved completely.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member

No way. Melbourne got to a whopping 11 yesterday. It's -1 in some parts.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    I'm in UK too and its about 14C today and its also summer! Its not raining though so that's a bonus! lol

Yep - lots roasted veg, soups, casseroles, jogging etc
  • louloulou
    louloulou Posts: 64 Member
    Sitting here LOL-ing (in a nice way :wink: ) at all you Aussies complaining about the cold. Try jumping the ditch, I am in the south island of New Zealand and my house has been sitting under a blanket of snow all week, we have been getting daily highs of 3-4 degrees.

In regards to food, I find hot soup or a hot cup of tea really helps. Also, I cook all my vegies at this time of year, no salads. Home made, healthy shepards pie, vegetable pies or slow cooker soups have been a favourite for dinners here lately.
  • Leahsz
    Leahsz Posts: 81

Today in Sydney it was maximum of 14c minimum 10c. So I'm being a wimp really. It's been pouring with rain though which makes it feel colder.
  • Leahsz

Also here's my gran's recipe for real hot chocolate. So much tastier and healthier than that crap they sell readymade:

1 part pure cocoa powder, 1 part dark brown sugar (quantity vs. milk depends on how strong you like your hot chocolate)
    pinch of cinnamon

This sounds great, thank you! Good point about not boiling the milk - I remember vividly the 'milk skin', gross.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    I read a study a while back on how cooler temps increase appetite...wish I could find the link !! I rememeber it stating this could be one of the reasons resturants keep the temps cooler too !!
  • Leahsz
    This will not be helpful but it may help you not throw all the toys out of the cot. Make of it what you will. About 20 years ago i was going to a very smart doctor/naturopath who was way ahead of his time re diet etc. He reckoned it was a waste of time trying to lose weight through the winter as our bodies are designed, through evolution, to grab every bit of weight possible to survive through winter. He was dead right about everything else so I reckon he might be right about this as well.
    Personally i'm still working on it but it sure is difficult sometimes.

My hero! That's it, I'm upping my cals to maintenance until spring :happy:
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    Agree with the soup ideas too.....

and I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet - but are drinking plenty of water? It's easy to drink loads in the warm sunny weather when you're melting away, but it's harder when it's cold, and you might be thirsty and not hungry..... just a though :flowerforyou:

Hope that your summer comes again soon!
  • Redmoonstar
    Redmoonstar Posts: 9 Member
    Eat lots of lovely homemade soups and stews. Those aren't too unhealthy if you make them mostly from vegetables.

pinch of cinnamon

Heat up the milk in a saucepan until just under boiling point (don't let it boil, gets yucky). Mix the cocoa powder, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small pot or cup. Add a little splash of milk to mix it to a paste. Add to the warm milk and give it a good stir so everything is dissolved completely.

This sound great I'm in western Victoria and we've had -3 in the morning with a top of 8. I also make soups in the slow cooker they taste great and keep you full ( I also liked the hot buttered toast)