Your favourite black bean recipes

Replies

• LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Guys these are all great answers I'm going to go through all the recipes and see what I can make! Keep em coming!
  • Hello,

I'm from Brazil and f there is something that can be classified as the national brazilian food that would be Black Beans.
    The favourite way to go about it is to make it into a stew with pieces of pork, smoked pork is even better. It's the sort of thing that you can add whatever vegetables you have around you and it keeps delicious, a bit like lentil stew.
    I would suggest potatoes, carrots and tomatoes (yes I know tomato is a fruit), for the port I think pancetta is the way to go. Cook it all until the beans are soft, a pressure cooker might be the best way. Serve it with rice and for the adventurous ones you can have a go at eating it with peeled pieces of orange, it's absolutely delicious.
    I hope it helps, otherwise you can always look for brazilian recipes, we call black beans Feijão, I'm sure you can find plenty of recipes in english around the web :)
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    bump
  • csand11
    csand11 Posts: 22 Member
    Bump
  • JoJoDoerr
    JoJoDoerr Posts: 173 Member
    Sounds funny but taste great I promise.....sweet potato black bean enchiladas!

Dice 1 sweet potato (super small pieces so it will cook faster)
    1 16 ounce jar of salsa

Put them in a skillet on med heat and cook down until potato gets tender. Add a can of black beans and stir

Put into corn tortillas and put in the oven at 350 for about 15 min. (Can also add Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheeses)

Those are a family fav that we have almost every week!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Bump...and I will post some later ;)
  • lahstrand
    lahstrand Posts: 32 Member
    I"m going to have to try this way. I did the overnight soak and then 5 minute boil followed by an hour in the hot water and they were still hard.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    This Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad is one of the best things I ever ate. It has avocados in it, but I skip the corn. Check it out:

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/21/red-quinoa-and-black-bean-vegetable-salad/

According to my analysis, it makes four 1 1/2 cup servings. 349 calories per serving. I skip the corn.

8 g Fat
    13 g Protien
    13 g Fiber
    358 mg Sodium
    58 g Carbs
  • apf2013
    apf2013 Posts: 53 Member
    BUMP
  • julieanne0924
    julieanne0924 Posts: 30 Member
    bump
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    http://iowagirleats.com/2012/06/05/bbq-chicken-quinoa-salad/

Yum! If you vegetarian just leave out the chicken and use more beans. :)
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Black bean tortillas

1 1/2 Cup Flour (I use whole wheat)
    5 TBSP Black Bean Puree
    1 Cup Warm Water
    3/4 TSP Salt
    1 TSP Baking Powder

Time 20 minutes
    Prep 7 minutes
    Cooking 10 minutes
    Yield 8 to 10 tortillas depending on size

In medium bowl mix together 1/2 cup flour, water, salt and baking powder. Will form a watery paste. Add bean puree. Mix until fully incorporated. Add the rest of flour gradually until you get a sticky and elastic dough (note you may need to add more flour to get desired texture). Pinch off a ball the size of a ping pong ball or size needed. Shaping into a ball makes it easier to pinch off how much you need. Make sure ball is rolled up. Press down onto plate or roll with rolling pin. Flatten until tortilla is slightly thicker than a sheet of paper. Continue until all dough has been formed into tortillas. Make sure not to stack uncooked tortillas on top of each other, use paper towel or plastic wrap to separate or lay out flat on baking mat or they will flatten each other and stick together, resulting in having to form them all over again.

Works best to cook in cast iron skillet, spray skillet with cooking spray and heat pan on medium high heat.

Place first tortilla in the skillet and cook each side for 45 seconds
    When done cooking place somewhere to keep them warm
    Cook until all dough is gone or until desired amount of tortillas have been made

Storing and Reheating
    The Dough: Store in a zip top bag in the freezer for at least 1 month
    The Tortillas: Store in a zip top bag or airtight container in fridge for 3 weeks or in the freezer and use when needed.

Nutritional Information
    Calories 73 to 92 (depending on size 8 or 10)
    Fat 2g
    Carbs 16g
    Protein 3g
  • dashhoju
    dashhoju Posts: 9 Member
    Black bean and corn salad

2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cups roasted corn, cut off the cob
    1/3 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    3-4 Jalapeno slices, chopped

Throw the whole mess in a big bowl-let sit in the fridge for a couple hours for flavors to meld.

We had this last night with some grilled chicken breast on flour tortillas with some mexican-blend cheese and salsa - Yummy!
  • lraien
    lraien Posts: 29 Member
    I use this recipe and just switch a bag of uncooked black beans for refried beans. I have modified the recipe a little bit. I add chicken boullion powder to basically make it 9 cups of chicken broth rather than water and I cut the salt down to 2 tsp total. If I don't have a jalapeno laying around, I'll squeeze in a bit of sriracha.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Refried-Beans-Without-the-Refry/

also is great with pinto as suggested in the recipe
  • luulu1999
    luulu1999 Posts: 119
    Soak them over night, then cook them in a crockpot with hot salsa and diced onion. Make some brown rice. Take some rice and black bean mixture, put them in a warm whole wheat tortilla, add a little shredded cheddar cheese and ta da! black bean burrito!

Save any left over beans and rice for the next day. Add chopped red/yellow/green pepper, some cajun seasoning, and some spicy chicken sausage (if your a carnivore) and you have a tasty filling meal!

This sounds yummy!!
  • H3TR0
    H3TR0 Posts: 87
    This is very filling & satisfying!

Cuban Black Bean and Potato Soup

Serves 4

1 onion, diced
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    6 cloves garlic, sliced
    6 cups cooked black beans, low-sodium if canned
    Water
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
    Bay leaf
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 small potatoes, chopped
    Diced red onion for garnish

Sauté the onion, peppers, and garlic over medium heat until they are soft. Puree the onion, garlic, and peppers, creating what is called a sofrito. Add about half the beans and puree these with the sofrito plus enough water to create a semi-thick soup. Return this to the pot and add the remaining ingredients (except the potatoes and garnish). Bring the soup to a simmer. Add the potatoes and continue simmering until they’re soft. Remove the bay leaf (or eat around it). Garnish with diced red onion.

Making It Simple: Forgo pureeing the onion, garlic, and peppers and simply leave them intact in the pan. Next, add 1 16-ounce can vegetarian refried beans and 2 16- ounce cans black beans instead of pureeing the beans as called for in the standard recipe. Add enough water to create a semi-thick soup and proceed as normal.
    The Gourmet Touch: Use white balsamic vinegar instead of white wine vinegar.

Per serving:
    ◾Calories: 407
    ◾Fat: 1.9 g
    ◾Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
    ◾Calories from Fat: 3.9 g
    ◾Cholesterol: 0 mg
    ◾Protein: 20 g
    ◾Carbohydrates: 80 g
    ◾Sugar: 5 g
    ◾Fiber: 26 g
    ◾Sodium: 254 mg
    ◾Calcium: 208 mg
    ◾Iron: 7.5 mg
    ◾Vitamin C: 63.4 mg
    ◾Beta Carotene: 475 mcg
    ◾Vitamin E: 0.7 mg

Source:21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart by Neal Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Jason Wyrick of the Vegan Culinary Experience.

I'm going to forego the potatoes but this soup sounds so amazing. I can't wait to try it!!
  • wlaura88
    wlaura88 Posts: 69 Member
    .Super yummy and filling!

Black Bean Chili Recipe

1 chopped green bell pepper (sometimes I use 1/2 chopped green and 1/2 chopped red... really whatever you would like)
    1 chopped onion
    1 chopped Anaheim or poblano pepper
    Cooking spray
    2 cloves of minced garlic
    2 cans of black beans (sometimes I use 1 can black and 1 can of multi-bean blend for some variety, I always use organic, low sodium though)
    1 can of Mexican style diced tomatoes with green chiles - low sodium again
    1/4 cup water
    2 TB of chili powder
    1 Tsp of cumin, cilantro, cayenne, whatever you like (I usually use more than this because I like my food very spicy)

-Chop up peppers and onion and mince garlic.
    -Sautee veggies and garlic in a pot sprayed with a little cooking spray
    -Once vegetables are soft, dump in the can of diced tomatoes (Do not drain! This is important because the liquid part serves as the base of the sauce.)
    -Drain, rinse, and dump in both cans of beans.
    -Season it to your heart's desire with chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and cilantro.
    -Let it simmer for a while to allow the spices to mesh.
    -EAT!

This chili is so simple and delicious! My boyfriend have it almost every week.

P.S. SO GOOD with a dollop of Greek yogurt mixed in to your bowl.

Nutrition Facts:

1 serving= 1 cup
    Makes 6 servings

Calories: 184 calories
    Fat: .6g
    Carbs: 34.3g
    Fiber: 8.2g
    Sugars: 5.1g
    Protein: 9.8g
  • ladydy911
    ladydy911 Posts: 126 Member
    Making this tonight. I call it Turkey yumm. Brown 1 pkg ground trukey in my ceramic skillet with a little garlic power and onion powder. Add 2 cans drained and rinsed black beans (haven’t tried dry beans but I really need to.), one can yellow corn, drained and rinsed, 3 diced tomatoes and mix well. Serve over jasmine rice.

Calories: 456, Carbs: 76, Sugar: 7, Protein: 31, Iron: 39, Fiber: 11
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    I am making a black bean burger tonight. Cant wait

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/homemade-black-bean-burgers

Sounds great! Thanks for posting!
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    This Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad is one of the best things I ever ate. It has avocados in it, but I skip the corn. Check it out:

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/21/red-quinoa-and-black-bean-vegetable-salad/

According to my analysis, it makes four 1 1/2 cup servings. 349 calories per serving. I skip the corn.

8 g Fat
    13 g Protien
    13 g Fiber
    358 mg Sodium
    58 g Carbs

Yum!