Why do I always lose my motivation?!? HELP

Options

Replies

• jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise by yourself? Personally I go into battle everyday with friends! We make it fun and motivating for one another. We have awards for losing weight. Which is actually not a prize. But after every 15 lbs lost the person losing the weight must do the next conditioning workout wearing a 15 lb weighted vest. Just a little reminder of where they came from. Make it a game and I think you will find it much easier to stay on top of things.

At one point me and my wife did a little compitition. It was based on % of weight lost per week. The winner of the week got to pick the treat for the week. Could be going out to eat, or any number of other things. A movie, etc. you got to make it fun!
  • cyesalusky
    Options
    I have always had this problem. I get on a very serious workout and diet routine and do great until about Thursday when my body and mind is completely exhausted from working so hard. The only thing that has really helped me is to not think of your diet and exercise as a chore but more of a scheduled event during the day. I am a creature of habit so each day I know that from 5pm-6pm I am going to the gym. This helps me alot more than the thought of "I have to go to the gym". Another huge help for me is youtube motivational videos. That helps me to break out of my lazy mood and get motivated to hit the gym and eat healthy instead of hitting the fridge for ice cream. For me when I keep to my workouts it makes me want to eat better and vise versa.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Motivation is what gets you started, you need to develop a routine that works for you so it becomes a habit. Working out is part of my morning routine just like showering, brushing my teeth, etc. In the beginning when it wasn't a habit I had alerts on my email that said it's workout time, and I treated them like I would any other important meeting. I put them in there as goals I still do that this weeks goal was to ride 30 miles on my bike, now I have 2 weeks to get to 35 miles.

As for nutrition part of it, because I don't deprive myself of anything that isn't hard to continue, I just cut back how much I eat of it.

This.

Stop relying on motivation. Every day is not going to feel like a super amazing day to work out. You just have to make it a part of daily habit and routine. There are days when I (and I'm sure everyone, too) REALLY don't want to/feel like getting in an exercise...but you do it. Almost always feel better afterwards, too. :)
  • cyesalusky
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. There is never a better feeling than when I finish a workout on one of those days where I have to fight myself just to get off the couch.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    Yup thats how I feel everyday. But slowly im getting back in the game. Our daily life is stressful enough and now we have to watch what we eat and count calories it will definitely affect our motivation just dont give up remember why you started this journey and take it a day at a time
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Motivation is what gets you started, you need to develop a routine that works for you so it becomes a habit. Working out is part of my morning routine just like showering, brushing my teeth, etc. In the beginning when it wasn't a habit I had alerts on my email that said it's workout time, and I treated them like I would any other important meeting. I put them in there as goals I still do that this weeks goal was to ride 30 miles on my bike, now I have 2 weeks to get to 35 miles.

As for nutrition part of it, because I don't deprive myself of anything that isn't hard to continue, I just cut back how much I eat of it.

Excellent advice!
  • KatVaux
    KatVaux Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Dediction! I never thought of it that way and it's a perfect way for me to think of it.
    I typically pride myself on my dedication.
    Great comment.
    Thanks
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Stop relying on motivation. Every day is not going to feel like a super amazing day to work out. You just have to make it a part of daily habit and routine. There are days when I (and I'm sure everyone, too) REALLY don't want to/feel like getting in an exercise...but you do it. Almost always feel better afterwards, too. :)
    This is SO true!! Today was exactly that day for me, and as I laid in bed at 4AM contemplating the idea of taking a day off and sleeping later...I reminded myself that I'd regret skipping and feel like crap all day, then as always...I got up and got moving...because its my routine. Was it one of my better workouts? Nope...but I did it anyway :ohwell:
  • gaj87
    gaj87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Change takes time, so allow yourself the time to make the changes needed. Don't try to make all the changes at one time, it is to much to handle. Make a change every week or every month. Start by watching portions, then add drinking water, then add fruits and veggies, then add exercise, etc... These are just examples of changes to make.

I waited until I had my eating under control before I started exercising because when I exercise my eating goes up. I made challenges to myself and did them for a few weeks before I added another.

The biggest thing to remember is change takes time.
  • fullofhope76
    Options
    Set some small goals and commit to getting them done. You can do this. Your motivation needs to come from within because it needs to be powerful enough to get you going. Only you know what that is. Good luck to you! Now go workout!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Motivation is what gets you started, you need to develop a routine that works for you so it becomes a habit.
    Absolutely!

I think it works best to work on one or two habits at a time at most. Willpower is a finite thing. Focus it on one or two things until they become deeply ingrained habit (maybe 6 weeks) and then move on to something else (continuing whatever you focused on because now they are just part of your life!).

I think when people burn out they've usually tried to do everything all at once and then they go off on one thing, feel guilty, and dump it all in frustration.
  • siremj
    siremj Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey girl,

Like she said below, try going into it small. To make a lifestyle change you can't just jump in full throttle. Your mind doesn't work that way. The moment you tell yourself "NO" to anything, you're just going to want it more. Like that cookie, watching that T.V. show instead of going to the gym, etc.

Its about little changes to start to see the big picture. Once you reach a point where you're voluntarily saying NO without hesitation, thats when you know you can start implementing other changes.

If food is the weakness, try looking up healthy versions of the things you eat.

Exercise, DO SOMETHING YOU ENJOY. Bike, dance (zumba), swim, run (although not many people find that fun), WHATEVER floats your boat. Motivation is all about a mindset, and for this sort of thing, a lifestyle change.

We're here to help! So when you're feeling weak or down, talk to us!
  • aliciamhosein
    Options
    It can be hard to stay motivated. You can make yourself a dream board. Put anything that reminds you of your goal up on it and look at it every day. weight is a constant battle, you just have to find ways of reminding yourself why you want to lose it. buy a skinny outfit and hang it up at the front of your closet. I have my size zero jeans hanging up at the front of mine. If you make a mistake and give up for the day don't put yourself down! Restart your diet right away, instead of thinking you cant do it. we all make mistakes no one is perfect. another trick is always staying full. try splitting up your meals into 2 parts. when I wake up I have a yogurt, then later I have eggs. its never a bad idea to snack as long as its a healthy snack. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! just find the right tricks to remind yourself you can.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Have you tried keeping a photo log? Every week, take a picture of yourself (my camera has a self timer, but a phone/mirror works just fine) in a pair of shorts and a sports bra. I do a front and a side photo. I print them out on my computer and put them in a binder. Being able to see the changes, to see how far I've come motivates me.

I do this too. And if you start feeling like giving up, look at your beginning shots again. I do mine in a bra and bikini underwear and at a starting weight of 294 ---- I get motivated when I see those before photos AND the current ones.
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, as I have been in the same boat in the past.

I'll give you a few ideas that help keep me dedicated to my lifestyle now;

-Workout / shop / research all your new changes with a friend - hold each other accountable, get a little healthy competition going
    -Go to pre booked, pre paid classes - its not just a workout you'll lose if you dont turn up, its your money too
    -Tell as many people as you can (without sounding like a broken record) that you're changing your lifestyle. This should keep you going. In two weeks when they ask you how its going, you'll be able to honestly say its going really well, and they'll agree with you.
    -Set yourself as many challenges as possible. Small things are great, but make big challenges too, put your name down for a race (do it for charity - that'll help with the motivation!)
    -Join a club, running, hiking, swimming, anything active, the social element will help keep you dedicated
    -Choose exercises you actually enjoy
    -Get your partner / loved ones on board with your lifestyle - they dont have to join you, just get them to support you and hold you accountable - my boyfriend, although he's only joking around, makes a point of letting me know if I'm letting my chocolate habit get out of hand!

Hope this helps,
    Christina
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You need to have a little heart to heart chat with yourself and really figure this out.

For me, the lightbulb really went off when one of my best friends asked me why my last diet (Atkins) didn't work out. At first I just blew the question off because that's in the past and why harp on it - but I couldn't get it out of my head. So I started thinking about what the common denominator was with all of my (many many many) diet attempts failing and finally realized it was deprivation. Every time I started a diet I was all gung ho about cutting out all these yummy foods I loved and trying to live on salads, diet products, frozen meal, etc - which I hate and leave me hungry. So I decided there was going to be no more of that. I eat what I love but make the healthiest choice I can and/or watch my portions. And I can't tell you how happy I am that it's working and I've been able to stick with it for 3+ years!!

Same goes with exercise. Are you starting out working out hard, way more than you usually do? It may feel great at first but you are going to burn yourself out eventually, especially if you're not eating enough calories and/or the right foods.

As other said, set small obtainable goals for each week/month. Set long term goals too so that you have something to keep you going. Have you filled out those sections on your profile page? If not, do it now. if so, maybe you need to tweak them a bit. I also strongly believe in setting fitness and nutrition goals instead of specific weight loss goals. If you're eating better and working out consistently, the weight loss will follow.

Best of luck!
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    motivation is a strange thing. sometimes what motivated you last week won't motivate you this week.

now dedication is different. dedication gets you through a work out you really don't want to do. you tell yourself, this is happening.

set a goal. in my opinion, you should be training for a race. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Capt_Apollo/view/why-you-should-be-preparing-for-a-race-545663 find one in 6-8 months, and register. when you lose your motivation, you'll continue to stick to your program in order to perform at your race.

^^^THIS. Actually, this is how I intend to get my @$$ back in gear.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Instead of relying on motivation, be determined to reach your goals.

It might be a good idea to write down why you want to lose weight and write down your goals. Read them a couple times a day and when you feel like giving up. Doing this has really helped keep me focused and keep going even when I'm not feeling motivated.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It often takes an addict 7 times to get clean and stay clean. I think it's that way with all sorts of things.
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    First of all, if I had the answer to this, I'd be rich. Or at least I'd be a lot lighter.

But...

I found this book to be really interesting:

The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do To Get More of It

It looks at the neurological and psychological basis of willpower, and offers some practical tips:

-- Willpower is a finite resource. If you are trying to do too many things at once, you'll run out
    -- Going too long between meals can actually shut down your pre-frontal cortex, the part of the brain that implements willpower
    -- Physical exercise helps. Deep breathing exercises help. Meditation helps.

Personally I find it helpful to realize that this isn't all just lack of character (as a couple of the posters above are implying), but that neurochemistry plays a big role.