What A Week Of Groceries Looks Like Around The World

Options

Replies

• JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Really interesting even if they are generalizations. I know there are some things in the American household pic that I never buy (ie potato chips!)

ETA: I also find it interesting how many people are in the "typical" households. It really makes you feel for the people in Chad that have so little and it helps you learn to appreciate what you do have a little more.
  • Raeesa777
    Raeesa777 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I could live in India and Italy. As much as I love France...well...I see I'd surely lose weight living there LOL! This was really interesting!

Haha.. Yeah.. when I went to India I remember losing a lot of weight
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    on the time.com website, there is another american family:
    11.jpg
    (from: http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519_1373740,00.html)

puts the other one in a bit more perspective.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This was a very cool post. Thanks for sharing...I would love to see a pic comparison of the typical American diet from the different decades (i.e 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, all the way to now)...does anyone know if something like that exist?
  • Raeesa777
    Raeesa777 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this is one of the best trends i have seen in a looooong time
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. Do you think though that America would be healthier if the prices of produce would go down? I mean when I look at my grocery bill the most expensive things on it are the produce. I don't tend to buy a lot of process foods but when I do they are a lot cheaper then produce by far.

My dad and I were talking about the "costs of food" this weekend. He figures my husband and I can save money eating out, especially on dollar value menus instead of eating at home like we do so much. I told him in the short term, yes I could same some money eating like that, but long term it would cost me in my health...It gave him something to think about.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Meh, no country diet is perfect. I'd love to see a break down of what food it actually there so we could see what nutrients are there and what nutrients are missing. Notice how protein deficient some of the poor countries are like Chad, Bhutan, and Ecuador? I'd say that American family looks to be in normal weight with two growing teenage boys, and the fattest family with the heaviest children was from Mexico. Not surprised their main source of fluid is Coke.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I saw this at a BodyWorlds exhibit about a year ago, although the Canadian picture was different. This picture seems more realistic. The picture they had I don't think was a true image of the average Canadian's diet.

What did the Canadian pic at BodyWorld look like?
  • juliezum
    juliezum Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks for posting!
  • shenson2522
    shenson2522 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You all know that everyone was thinking that the pizza looked really good. :laugh:
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    It's awfully interesting seeing the fruit vs. processed foods and soda vs. water intake between the countries. I knew the US's diet varied from other countries, but not that much! Thanks for posting, great thread!
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    11.jpg

This doesn't look like a particularly recent photo.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Its funny how 3 of these families couldn't even turn their television off for the picture.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    These groceries are presumably to feed the families that are pictured and are generalisations. However "generally' you get the picture that some countries eat a lot more, have more choice, not necessarily better choice - some eat a lot more fresh fruit and vegies - and some have very little at all.

Have a look at other people's trolleys next time you go shopping - your eyes will pop! Best way to go shopping is around the outside / far away shelves, keep away from the central aisles, and look high or low on shelves - high cost tempting stuff is usually in the middle of the store, and easiest to get to!

As an Aussie I found it very interesting that the family picture for Australia had their packs of cigarettes to the forefront! And check out the kangaroos on the tea towels :laugh:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    11.jpg

This doesn't look like a particularly recent photo.

You're right, because it's not. Most of these were taken 20 years ago. I've seen the photographer's website.
  • Michaelsdin
    Michaelsdin Posts: 146
    Options
    all of them but a couple have soda/juice/alcohol lol
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Though I do believe Americans eat more processed food than other countries (hence the obesity epidemic here), I do not necessarily believe this represents a "typical" family for the U.S. or some of the other countries. In these pics, only the Americans have fast food from 4 (or more) different places, but obviously someone is supporting the fast food restaurants that can be found in France, Italy, Germany etc.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    This link might be interesting for people - Australian but the ideas are good

http://www.foodcentsprogram.com.au/
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Though I do believe Americans eat more processed food than other countries (hence the obesity epidemic here), I do not necessarily believe this represents a "typical" family for the U.S. or some of the other countries. In these pics, only the Americans have fast food from 4 (or more) different places, but obviously someone is supporting the fast food restaurants that can be found in France, Italy, Germany etc.

I thought it was interesting that the people in the American photo were either thin or only slightly overweight.