Joint bank accounts for couples?

Options

Replies

• junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have a joint account which we each direct deposit money into with each paycheck to pay the mortgage, bills ect.. But then we each have our own accounts for our own bills (we each of CCs) and our own personal money. We take turns buying groceries or it comes out of the joint account...it has worked out great for us. I don't hound her about what she spends her money on and she doesn't hound me.

With a baby on the way we are going to add more money to the joint account for obvious added expenses.

This is exactly what we do. You figure out what your monthly bills are and how much each of you owe. Then have that amount direct deposited into your joint account and all the joint bills come out of that. Works wonderful and we never fight or are stressed about money*********** well almost never :flowerforyou:
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would never do a joint account. Most of the bills are half, but I pay for all the groceries. It evens out because he pays for all the movies we go to, when we go out to dinner, etc.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    A friend of my mother's learned the hard way. SHe and her husband only had joint bank accounts. BUT the house and cars were exclusively in his name. Right before he left her he transfer the cars and home into his girlfriend's name and cleaned out the bank account. She was left broke and homeless. Upshot....everyone should have their own set of finances along with a joint account.

She must not have had a good attorney. Just because the house and cars are in his name doesn't mean that they belong soley to him when it comes to marital assets.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Yes, we have a joint bank account... it is our home and our money... not yours and mine. I heard it said one time that not having a joint account is just planning your divorce ahead of time and that makes sense to me... while I understand some people can make it work it just wouldn't work out for us.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    No. We keep our money separate. Most relationships strain when it comes to money matters and can sometimes make or break a relationship.

We keep ours separate. 100%.
    As long as the bills get paid, we're good.
  • gypy
    gypy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Me & the other half put a certain amount into our joint account each month, for bills & anything we may both need. We then keep an amount in our own acounts, for our individual use.

Its good this way, she can't see my McDonalds & supplement transactions.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I (together 8 years) are doing a joint checking acct for bills, house things, vacations together, etc. But we each also have our own checking accounts that we put 15% of our paychecks into for personal "do whatever you want with it" spending or saving. Been working great for us :)
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    We have a joint account and after 25 years of marriage she slowed her working full time to working part time and started mainly living off of my wages. I now work 10 hour days with three weeks off a year and she works 6 hour days and has three months off a year. She travels and goes for fine dinners and lives a high life off of my labors.

Im thinking of ending my marriage because I feel used and have told her so but nothing is changing.
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes, we have a joint bank account... it is our home and our money... not yours and mine. I heard it said one time that not having a joint account is just planning your divorce ahead of time and that makes sense to me... while I understand some people can make it work it just wouldn't work out for us.

I've had people telling us we're going to break up since we started dating just because we don't do everything the "normal" way. I've seen all sorts of relationships fail and many others succeed. The truth is that there is no determining factor that a marriage will fail. Other than the emotional and mental effort that people put into it. Not the monitary.
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Been married five years.

One joint checking account and joint savings/stocks/etc accounts. My thought truly is if you cannot trust your partner with money how can you expect to trust them with your house, children, or future? I never thought twice about it and until now it has never come up. I make about 40% more than her but that doesn't matter to me - we are a team.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    We are married and living together and we have a shared account.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    We are married, living together and all the main expenses are handled by our joint account.
    We have main joint account and a savings account.
    For a long time this was it. It worked well, except I always felt a teeny weeny but guilty when I splurged on myself. (he never made me feel like this...I just had trouble spending "our" money on "me")
    So we opened "fun" accounts for both of us. We put a set amount in the accounts each paycheck and that is our splurge money. Now I can buy shoes without guilt! Since it is specifically for fun stuff. YAY
    As for bills, groceries etc, we talk about it together and plan each week. Money has never been an issue with us, even when we were totally broke.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have a joint account which we each direct deposit money into with each paycheck to pay the mortgage, bills ect.. But then we each have our own accounts for our own bills (we each of CCs) and our own personal money. We take turns buying groceries or it comes out of the joint account...it has worked out great for us. I don't hound her about what she spends her money on and she doesn't hound me.

With a baby on the way we are going to add more money to the joint account for obvious added expenses.

This is exactly what we do. You figure out what your monthly bills are and how much each of you owe. Then have that amount direct deposited into your joint account and all the joint bills come out of that. Works wonderful and we never fight or are stressed about money*********** well almost never :flowerforyou:

Sorry to pick on you, You are a married couple, so how do you work out how much each of you owe? You are a household, and the accounting is how much the household owes, n'est pas? Any extra money left over after the bills are paid is shared money, 50/50.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Been married five years.

One joint checking account and joint savings/stocks/etc accounts. My thought truly is if you cannot trust your partner with money how can you expect to trust them with your house, children, or future? I never thought twice about it and until now it has never come up. I make about 40% more than her but that doesn't matter to me - we are a team.
    '

This is how my husband and I see it too!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I started dating when we were 17. We were both working at the time (so it just made sense) and got married when we were 23. We always had separate accounts too (and still do. We're 36 now).

If you both work I suggest having a joint account and two separate accounts. Same with credit cards. This way you can always buy things that will not show up on his radar (either gifts, or something for yourself). I also have a credit card I just use for work travel.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Joint account for the whole 42 years to date. Easier by far. Part of the time he was the primary breadwinner, then for 23 years I was the one working. HE is in charge of the finances, I don't WANT to have to deal with it.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Right now we've only been dating 2.5 years, so we have separate accounts - we are discussing marriage within the next year or 2 in which case we will be doing joint accounts so either one of us can access money in an emergency - and We decided a very long time ago that I will be handling all finances as he is bad with money and loves to impulse buy and then he runs out of money and complains... so I am the planner and I will handle all finances.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think this is more than just a simplistic problem. You need to know the law in your state. In mine, if I was married and my spouse did something that would render a lawsuit being pursued against him, then, in order to gain restitution, anything that had his name on it could be attached to settle the debt. That is why here it is so important to keep assests separate: houses, cars, bank accts, 401Ks etc. Don't just do something because you're married and you think everything about you should be joint. Make an informed decision to protect your assets for you and your family.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Been married five years.

'

This is how my husband and I see it too!

I don't see having separate accounts (and together accounts) as a trust issue. We're together nearly 19 years now and we've always had joint checking and separate checking (direct deposit from our payrolls). My husband handles all of the bills now (we have 2 homes, and one rental property so there's a lot to handle). I used to when I was the breadwinner but he's done a great job balancing it all over the years.

I would never see a separate account as a trust issue. I travel a lot for work and it helps to have a separate account and separate credit card. I travel all over the US and it just works for us. His side business account is also separate.

I just say don't judge--you have to do what works for you!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Joint account for the whole 42 years to date. Easier by far.

Depends what your situation is. You have to do what works for you. It has always worked for us to have joint and together accounts.