Can someone explain this to me

Options
2»

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's time to reign things in...tighten up the ropes. Usually when I gain it's because I've either gotten lazy on my logging, or it's water weight, or not necessarily "that time of the month", just a wierd time of the month.

Suggestions:
    Make sure you log EVERYTHING down to the condiments.
    Make sure you weigh in at the same time, with the same sort of clothes on - and do it once a week if you can.
    Make sure you're drinking enough water- and drink more of it if you have foods that are very salty.
    Make sure you have an accurate scale. My allergist's scale once said I'd lost 20 pounds when I hadn't. It was very fickle.

Be "good" for a week and see what happens....
  • Mrskatie
    Mrskatie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Don't let this discourage you!
    First, it's unlikely you actually put on 12 lbs of weight in that short time (unless you were eating a LOT more than usual, and all bad stuff), but keep some of the following things in mind:
    1. Always use the same scale (my scale is several lbs off from my Dr's scale, so I don't pay attention to the Dr's at my annual check up, only my own.
    2. Always weigh in first thing in the morning (after pee, before drink, before clothing, before shower). Why? I've weighed up to 3.5 lbs different on the SAME day (within only hours later) just because I drink a load of water, and water in your body adds weight on the scale.
    3. Lower sodium intake. I don't even use the salt shaker at all anymore. Reach for sodium free flavor boosts (like Mrs.Dash or fresh herbs and pepper). Bloat from excess salt can make you hold on to pounds of water!
    4. Drink enough water. Being dehydrated causes your body to hold onto any water in can.
    5. Remember PMS. I personally fluctuate around 5 lbs the week before and week of. You can help counter this by adjusting your diet and also taking a calcium magnesium sup.
    6. Rely more on measurements, and how your clothing fits. (Have you been weight training? Adding muscle will add weight even though you will be getting smaller.)
    7. Keep your MFP accurate and honest, and use it as a guide. Eat smaller meals, close the kitchen after dinner (nighttime munchies are a weight-loss killer), make sure to eat clean and cut sugar (including sweet tea and soda). Cut out everything artificial. All the fake stuff causes your body to hold onto fat and water!!
    8. Be Consistent! And keep at it! It'll come!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    No i usually weigh myself with my under clothes on and it could be my scale because it always said different numbers compared to my friends scale at their homes but idk who's scale is accurate honestly

With your scale, accuracy is not as important as precision. Precision is the scale's ability to produce the same number under the same circumstances over and over again. A scale that is always, every single time, 5 lbs too heavy (or light) is better than one that gets your real weight once every 5 times, if this makes sense. Getting a precise scale is the only way you'll be able to tell if your actions are making a difference. It also needs to be on a hard surface (not carpet) and not touching anything. I can slide my scale an inch forward so that it touches the bathroom rug and "lose" 2 or more lbs instantly.

It is highly unlikely that you actually gained 12 lbs in 2 weeks unless you were eating and drinking excessively more than usual. I, too, suspect the scale has a precision problem, but you have also received good advice from others regarding high sugary drinks and weighing and measuring your food.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    That is a crazy gain

I think your scale must have been off for at least one of the weigh-ins
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    10lbs jump? Couple of things: you're either eating way more than you think, or something's wrong with the scale.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Are you counting every calorie you intake including drinks like juice and tea? Are you using TDEE? What did you set your activity level to? Did you weigh yourself on the same day at the same time of day? Is your scale accurate? Is your period starting soon?

It isn't possible you gained 12.3 which is approximately 43050 calories worth of food over your TDEE (if it's accurate) in two weeks and had no idea what was happening. That's the equivalent of eating an extra 3075 calories a day for two weeks.

What is your current height? Do you mind opening your diary so we can see what you've been eating and what your goals are set at?
  • Cassandra973
    Cassandra973 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thanks guys i will check those 2 weeks and take everything you guys said into consideration and see what happen
  • jacquib234
    jacquib234 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Have you checked the sugar content in the tea? If it's fruit flavoured chances are there is some (a friend told me to try tesco website - in the uk) as they are really good at giving nutrion info. As a possible alternative, I drink carbonated water, according to the label it has water and carbon gas in it and that's it, really refreshing when cold and it's fizzy!!

When it's really hot weather I tend not to eat until later at night - after the "magic" 8pm - I know this puts weight on me, I didn't believe what an effect it had until I tried it.

I'm lucky to have someone at my doctors who helps me with what I eat. Add me as a friend if you'd like, I could do with someone who also has these problems.

Fingers crossed for you

Jacqui
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about how accurate your scale is, but try to find one that is precise. In other words, it might be off by a few pounds, but if you can't step on and off 4 or 5 times in a row and get the same number each time, then get a different scale.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Use a good scale, preferably one that gives you a body fat percentage estimate. it won't be completely accurate, but over time you will see trends.

Weigh yourself under the same conditions (early in morning before eating, after using toilet, nude).

Weigh yourself at least once a week.

Buy a digital food scale. Weigh everything you eat and track it.

Is there an exercise you can do indoors during these hot spells?

Avoid food and beverages with added sugars. If you can, avoid food and beverages with artificial sweeteners.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

When it's really hot weather I tend not to eat until later at night - after the "magic" 8pm - I know this puts weight on me, I didn't believe what an effect it had until I tried it.

The time of day you eat does not matter. What does matter is that you create a calorie deficit over the course of the week.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    try to weigh your self in the morning no food in you and then see where you are at sometime if you weigh yourself late in the evening you will weigh more that is what it sounds like what you are seeing just keep exercising and be in a calorie deficit
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Scales are evil and deceitful. Never judge your progress solely on the scale. Buy a tape measure and take your measurements weekly. Take pictures. Measure your food and track everything that you put in your mouth. Watch out for processed sugars and sodium. Drink lots of water and looking into strength training, even body weight exercises that you can do inside.

But above all else, do not get discouraged and do not give up!