Legit question. Housework....exercise or no?

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    no
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No.

I saw someone on my fl log in 'burned 16 calories doing 10 minutes of Cooking or food preparation'
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I wear a fitbit, and when I deep clean, it counts that activity. If I clean enough, I get a calorie adjustment. I say log it, but I don't know that you need to stress too much about eating all those exercise calories back.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    No.

I saw someone on my fl log in 'burned 16 calories doing 10 minutes of Cooking or food preparation'

Whoa! you can burn 16 calories doing that! :tongue:
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I do if its heavy cleaning and dont record all the time. That is because I set up my account as sedetary w/ no activity.
  • alisha_1983
    alisha_1983 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Feeling the need to log housework makes u look like a wuss. Get on the elliptical, lift some weights, or go for a run, then log that THAT!! ... Sorry, but the truth hurts.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    Options
    Feeling the need to log housework makes u look like a wuss. Get on the elliptical, lift some weights, or go for a run, then log that THAT!! ... Sorry, but the truth hurts.

oooo ouch.
    I mean or you could have just said "No" like everyone else.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Well I'd call it 'activity' not really exercise as you aren't working to sustain an elevated heart rate.... or are you. But you still log it if you want.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The big question is do you eat back those calories burned from cleaning?

If you do, and are losing at a rate you are happy with, then continue on with what works.

If you eat them back and are not losing, then quit logging them or eating them back.

If you do NOT eat them back, then it is completely irrelevant.

Activity is activity. Doesn't matter how you get it in.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Esp to the ones who actually read my post before replying. :smile:
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    if it is included in your Normal Daily Activity than no.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    If you have a job where you are on your feet all day, you enter that into MFP and your calorie goal is higher, essentially already including stuff like cleaning. If you entered sedentary because you sit on your behind all day, then go ahead and enter it. I start logging moving around on my feet after the first two hours because spending the whole evening cooking and cleaning makes me pretty darned hungry.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    Options

If you do, and are losing at a rate you are happy with, then continue on with what works.

If you eat them back and are not losing, then quit logging them or eating them back.

When I deep clean and log. I dont eat back the calories. Kinda just log it to keep track of what I do during the day. I dont log vacuuming, dishes, mopping or laundry since those I do everyday.

I starting trying to lose little over 2 weeks ago and have lost 5lbs since changing my eating habits (eating more)
  • llebsiry
    llebsiry Posts: 32
    Options
    si creo que si c
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    Options
    If you have a job where you are on your feet all day, you enter that into MFP and your calorie goal is higher, essentially already including stuff like cleaning. If you entered sedentary because you sit on your behind all day, then go ahead and enter it. I start logging moving around on my feet after the first two hours because spending the whole evening cooking and cleaning makes me pretty darned hungry.

I have 2 jobs. and I normally rotate them throughout the week unless other circumstances occur. (I am the owner of one and the manager of the other)
    1 job requires me to sit 95% of the time
    the other requires me to run around like a mad man 95% of the time.

My sit down days are normally when the deep cleaning takes place.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    HRM aren't accurate unless you are engaging in steady state cardio. so please don't use those counts, use MFP counts for anything not steady state.

also i don't log cleaning, but i don't clean thoroughly or often.
  • 2b_perfect00
    2b_perfect00 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't log as excersize but update your profile. There is a section that asks what you do for a living (ie, secretary - sitting all day / or laborer - running around/on feet). This should help with an accurate overview.
    This I'd change your activity level but I wouldn't log it. IF you do log it I'd log it as light cleaning and 1/2 the time I did. I just don't feel like it's legit.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

When I deep clean and log. I dont eat back the calories. Kinda just log it to keep track of what I do during the day. I dont log vacuuming, dishes, mopping or laundry since those I do everyday.

I starting trying to lose little over 2 weeks ago and have lost 5lbs since changing my eating habits (eating more)

Since you don't eat them back. it doesn't matter if you log it or not, and no need to get permission from the people here.
    Sounds like you are doing just fine, and what you are doing is working for you, so congrats!

I don't eat my exer cals back, as I use them to supplement my deficit, and exercise is sporadic with me. I will log my activity, whether it is biking, swimming, mowing, or weight lifting, or even power-cooking or power cleaning days, just to keep track of my activity levels.
    You keep doing what you are doing.
  • Alidarmags
    Alidarmags Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I also do "real" exercise and log my house work too. I hate doing house work-so I feel more motivated to do it if I know it helps me move more. This has already been stated-but your body doesn't care why your moving-just that you are. Either way though-you said you have been losing-so as long as you keep losing-sounds like you are doing something right. Good luck in your weight loss journey!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you have set your activity level at... if it's set to sedentary... then go for it... if it's set higher than that... then I would say... mmm... probably not.

Perhaps you can get an activity tracker (like fitbit) to calculate those calories for you already. I have my calorie goal set to sedentary but have a fitbit, so I don't track my cleaning calories.

no

Well that is a smart rebuttal.

I really don't feel like wasting my time - which I am doing now - on a dead horse...this one get tossed about like every other day..

Exercise is something that you do in addition to your daily activities...i.e. Cleaning...I mean my office is on the second floor I walk up and down stairs every day..but I do not "log" that..it is built into my activity level for the day.

satisfied?

Then why even bother to reply... seriously?
    I did, I said no..and you asked for a better reply so I provided one..you should be happy now.