270LBS eating 800-1000 calories per day.

Options

Replies

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I've had weeks where I lost about three pounds while eating about 2000 calories a day, so don't think you need to eat so little in order to lose weight. No, it probably won't damage you if you eat like that for a few weeks, but it's neither optimal nor necessary.

I started out eating 1200-1400 calories per day before I knew what I was doing. I started to feel weak and out of it after a couple of weeks. Eating more hasn't slowed my loss AT ALL and I feel much better.

Just saying.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Hope it works out for you.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    ????<--- bye bye muscles!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    When you're on the bigger side, it's not that bad. You have enough fat to cover that deficit.
  • heytherelameman
    heytherelameman Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My question is, is that all you're eating or is that what you're netting? B/c I net 882 yesterday but I ate a total of 1546 and I was so full that I couldnt take another bite of anything at any meal or snack. Listen to your body, if you're hungry eat, if not drink some water :)

This.
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This.
    forget about the lbs themselves & focus on percentage of body weight lost.
    Obese people can drop huge amounts of weight initially without ill affects.

OP after a few weeks (depends on the person) you will probably start to feel like crap.
    If you want to eat that low do it correctly & look up PSMF from Lyle McDonald.
    He outlines the proper way to do an ultra low cal diet.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    42yr old male, weighed in @ 270. Eating 800-1000 calories per day, no sugar, no wheat, no pop. I drink a lot of Oolong Tea, feeling good right now, a lot of energy. Lost 7 LBS in 3 days.

Any problems continuing this plan for 3-4 weeks?

The problem with really fast weight loss is that it's indiscriminate "weight" ..... you will lose fat AND muscle. The first 3 days are several pounds of water .... sorry to burst your bubble.

Set a moderate weight loss goal, do some weight bearing exercise and keep healthy muscle tissue. Make changes that can become a permanent LIFESTYLE for you ..... those lifestyle changes are what's going to keep the weight from creeping back up.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My question is, is that all you're eating or is that what you're netting? B/c I net 882 yesterday but I ate a total of 1546 and I was so full that I couldnt take another bite of anything at any meal or snack. Listen to your body, if you're hungry eat, if not drink some water :)

NOT this^

Hunger is NOT a good indicator.... sorry. Also, look up "calorie dense" foods. There is a tendency to go for the lowest calorie, lowest fat, highest fiber .....so we end up eating a large volume of food (some of which is not nutrient dense). Look for low volume nutritious foods (healthy fats) ..... to up your calories.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Wave bye-bye to your muscles. :cry:

Exactly what I was thinking :sad:
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You're going to be losing lean body mass and although you might feel fine now but that won't last long. You should try scooby's calculator and start eating at LEAST your BMR.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'm a 168lb woman and I eat 1850 cals a day and lose. You can eat more.
  • jball1954
    jball1954 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started January 2nd at 272 lbs and set a goal of 2,000 per day but tried at first to stay closer to 1,500. I kept close track and wasn't exercising. I have lost about 35 lbs and am now doing 2,000 per day, still keeping track, but go over my 2,000 alot. I think obviously under 1,000 is not enough. Maybe for a few weeks it's ok. I just know I'd have been unsatisfied and feeling deprived if I'd have tried that. Slow and steady wins the race, as the tortoise once said.
  • CoreyOhNoes
    CoreyOhNoes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The answer to you question is a simple one. Why eat so little when you can eat much more and still lose weight?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    One thing that is common when you try to lose weight the first time, or if you try again after a while, is that the first 10-15 lbs will drop off quick. This is normally associated with water weight and is not a good indicator of actual fat loss. Look at any fad diet plan or pill, "We guarantee you will lose at least 10 lbs in the first 30 days or your money back!" Of course they can make this claim, because once you decide to make changes in your diet and exercise, this is a common amount that is lost. The bigger you are, the more you will lose.

Now, having said all that, I will say this, if your goal is to go low calorie for a short period of time, then fine, but understand that this is not a long term solution and will, in the end, do more harm than good. Food is fuel, and you need fuel for everyday things. If you've increased your activities, you need more fuel, not less. The goal is to eat less than you have before, but still eat enough to allow your body to function the way it's designed to function. Food is for energy, hormones, growth, mood, focus, and general overall well being. It's not evil, its a requirement for living.

I don't know what your overall goals are, nor do I understand why you're eating so little right now and why 3-4 weeks of eating this way is important to you, but I would suggest that you do some research into what is a healthy way to lose weight, and I would also suggest to expect this to take a while, be patient, and try to find a way to make weight loss "enjoyable." It's possible, believe me.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Just going to put these here for the OP...If you are new there is information that is incredibly helpful in here and will help you understand how this works in a healthy and sustainable method. The last two links are calculators that some people prefer to use.

Also consider joining the "Eat, Train, Progress." Group...But for heavens sake read the rules, be polite and receptive to advice as the group is well versed in health and nutrition and frowns upon Broscience.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

http://www.globalrph.com/harris-benedict-equation.htm
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Wave bye-bye to your muscles. :cry:

Exactly what I was thinking :sad:

Me too. And your libido.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hope you weren't planning on keeping muscle or hair. Just think though, you'll have some money saved up to help get you through the start of those medical bills from all the health issues you'll have in the future. :flowerforyou:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Hope you weren't planning on keeping muscle or hair. Just think though, you'll have some money saved up to help get you through the start of those medical bills from all the health issues you'll have in the future. :flowerforyou:

Jesus... scare tactic much? You really think he's going to do that much damage in just a few weeks?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    For 3-4 weeks you're probably fine. I'd be hesitant to go much longer than that though. I'd also do some strength training to help prevent muscle loss, but that's up to you at this point.\

Lyle McDonald (a highly regarded expert in the field) actually has a plan for how to be successful with short term low calorie diets.

I agree but I'd recommend that you check in with your doctor and that you don't stay on such a low intake long term.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    If you're asking, clearly you have some question as to the benefit of this for any period of time.

Don't ask us...ask your doctor. Seriously.