Gym Pet PEEVES

DopeItUp
DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
I joined a new gym about 6 months ago. I attend 3 days a week. In this time, I have:

Never seen someone wipe down any seat or machine EVER (despite there being spray bottles and paper towel dispensers in about 6 different locations).

Seen multitudes of people drop loaded barbells (some with several hundred pounds on them), dumbbells, machines crashing down, etc..

Heard grunts and yells (and weights being dropped) so loud that I could hear it outside the building as I parked.

People lying in the middle of the floor in a pool of their own sweat, too tired to get up for several minutes.

Chalk covering every square inch of every weight, machine, piece of furniture, walls, floors, doors, windows and sometimes even the cars outside.

People leaving drinks, shoes, phones, notebooks, wraps, etc lying around the gym...sometimes for days at a time.

My pet peeve? No one has ever cared about any of this. I don't see or hear people complaining about it, talking to management about it, nothing. According to these forums, these should be acts punishable by death, or at least involve a ragequit from time to time. But amazingly, people just mind their own business, do their workouts and go home. It's quite shocking to me that no one could care about such silly little things. How is this gym even in business still? They should institute policies that you aren't allowed to work out hard, no makeup is allowed, and you will be castrated if you don't wipe down your machine. I think I'll join the local Curves or Planet Fitness instead.

Just my two cents!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Lol :flowerforyou:

The last paragraph is essential.

IN to see how many people don't read it.
  • I understand how you feel - that's one of the first thing the say when your orientation is done - is to wipe off the equipment - majority of the people never do it
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    I joined a new gym about 6 months ago. I attend 3 days a week. In this time, I have:

Never seen someone wipe down any seat or machine EVER (despite there being spray bottles and paper towel dispensers in about 6 different locations).

Seen multitudes of people drop loaded barbells (some with several hundred pounds on them), dumbbells, machines crashing down, etc..

Heard grunts and yells (and weights being dropped) so loud that I could hear it outside the building as I parked.

People lying in the middle of the floor in a pool of their own sweat, too tired to get up for several minutes.

Chalk covering every square inch of every weight, machine, piece of furniture, walls, floors, doors, windows and sometimes even the cars outside.

People leaving drinks, shoes, phones, notebooks, wraps, etc lying around the gym...sometimes for days at a time.

My pet peeve? No one has ever cared about any of this. I don't see or hear people complaining about it, talking to management about it, nothing. According to these forums, these should be acts punishable by death, or at least involve a ragequit from time to time. But amazingly, people just mind their own business, do their workouts and go home. It's quite shocking to me that no one could care about such silly little things. How is this gym even in business still? They should institute policies that you aren't allowed to work out hard, no makeup is allowed, and you will be castrated if you don't wipe down your machine. I think I'll join the local Curves or Planet Fitness instead.

Just my two cents!

I see what you did there ;-) The only serious issue I would have had would be the not wiping down machines, only because heaven only knows what germs are there. Easy enough fix though: just wipe it down before you use it. Not a bad practice anyways, simply because you don't know who else has been on there
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    HEY! I go to planet fitness.

:angry:
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    This is why I work out at home now...the only true judgment free zone.

I got my 15-lb dumbbells and my exercise ball in the garage and I can do what I want, dammit!
  • mattdog02
    mattdog02 Posts: 15 Member
    My biggest pet peeve is the sleeveless men who think they're better than everyone else just because they pick things up and put them down repeatedly.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    My biggest pet peeve is the sleeveless men who think they're better than everyone else just because they pick things up and put them down repeatedly.

Funny, I find them to be quite motivating, even as I roll my eyes at them. ;)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    7/10

Coulda been funnier, but funny nonetheless.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    It was toooooooooooooooooo long for me I am at the office..

I wipe off the machine MYSELF. I am a germ-a-phobe so I cant touch bathroom doors and shiznit without a paper towel. Some folks dont wash their hands.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Laugh all you want at Planet Fitness. But I have to say, it's the cleanest, and most courteous gym I've ever been to. They have paper towels with a spray cleaner setup all over the floor. Everyone wipes down the equipment. They will CALL YOU OUT (with the Lunk Alarm) if you grunt or yell. They will terminate your contract if you are talking on your cell phone and leaving your stuff all over the place. I constantly see the staff walking around and cleaning or picking up something.

Sure they don't have barbells, spin classes or yoga. But it's a basic gym with lots of cardio, machines, dumbbells, and presses. Oh and it's $10/mo no contract.

Beat that LA Fitness!!
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Oh I had to laugh - for real people just lay down on the floor? That sounds like a pretty horrible
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Laugh all you want at Planet Fitness. But I have to say, it's the cleanest, and most courteous gym I've ever been to. They have paper towels with a spray cleaner setup all over the floor. Everyone wipes down the equipment. They will CALL YOU OUT (with the Lunk Alarm) if you grunt or yell. They will terminate your contract if you are talking on your cell phone and leaving your stuff all over the place. I constantly see the staff walking around and cleaning or picking up something.

Sure they don't have barbells, spin classes or yoga. But it's a basic gym with lots of cardio, machines, dumbbells, and presses. Oh and it's $10/mo no contract.

Beat that LA Fitness!!

Sounds like a prison camp. I'd set off the lunk alarm, I'm afraid.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    I usually wipe whatever bench or pad i'm about to use before i even get on it.

As for someone mentioning planet fitness, i've seen someone get asked to leave the gym for dropping his dumbells. But i don't always see people wiping down equipment. Most of the women do, but men lifting weights, it's hit or miss. I only go to planet fitness with friends who have that Black membership allowing them to bring a free guest any time, so i've been to like three different ones in my area. I think they're great for average joe's or people just starting to get into the fitness lifestyle.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    :grumble: Some morons decided to f@#$ around in my lap lane last night... splashing each other and doing handstands and all that. I purposely go to a non-social gym because I wanted to AVOID that.

ETA: I should clarify. I'm nearly 6 foot tall, make wide flip turns, and swim at competition speed. Sharing a lap lane is not only nearly impossible for me (I don't want to whip someone as I swim past), but shouldn't be necessary. I'm basically paying $30 a month to use the pool. You can wait your turn for a lane just like I did. If you ask to share and I politely tell you no, move on with your life. :)
  • MikeInAZ
    Go on YouTube and watch the PF commercials. They're really funny. Especially the "That's Hot, I'm Hot, You're Hot" one.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member

Beat that LA Fitness!!

Wait, what? No barbells? :noway:
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member

Beat that LA Fitness!!

That's just your experience at PF.

Some do have barbells - like Cranks and one near me.
    I've seen plenty of people talk on phones without the lunk alarm.
    I've been to one gym that didn't HAVE a lunk alarm.
    I left so I wouldn't set off the lunk alarm with my deadlifts since they made noise.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    3pr1zy.jpg
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Man, nothing super bugs me at the gym, but I get my LOLs there sometimes. Yesterday there was a lady blow drying her hair under the hand blowers by the sinks. She was all squatted down, pushin the button, patting her hair. Nobody washing their hands could dry them (I had a towel though so whatever). So funny.

Same day, the girl on the machine next to me is chatting on the her cell phone while working out. The first funny thing was that my gym is LOUD. There is loud pop music and the sounds of weights and the whir of cardio machines, and every few minutes I hear "Can you repeat that last thing?" Not sure why she thought chit chatting would be easy in a loud room. No doubt she tries to have chats at the dance club, too, and spends half her time making people hoarse. Also, she kept talking about how she hadn't dropped any weight and was going to pick up fast food after. LMAO. Logic is hard for some.
  • MikeInAZ
    As for someone mentioning planet fitness, i've seen someone get asked to leave the gym for dropping his dumbells.

Hey, they knew the rules when they showed up.

Honestly though, I've never seen anyone get kicked out. I read an article about a girl who had her membership revoked after they repeatedly told her to get off the phone several times over the course of a week. She was also talking loud and carrying on.

I see people take a quick call all the time without incident. Use common sense people.

I imagine that the guy who was kicked out for dropping weights was spoken to about it before it happened. Any good manager would walk over and give a warning or two. The guy was asking for it.

Just having the paper towels and spray encourages me to wipe down my equipment. If I didn't have that, I wouldn't be using my own towel to wipe down with. The same towel I wipe my face with you want me to clean up after someone else? No thanks. Every gym should have paper towels and spray available. The customers will do half the cleaning for you!