Runners! Needing encouragement :(

Options

Replies

• andreafischer1982
    andreafischer1982 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I can understand your doubts
    I started running in January this year and wasn't abel to run 100 meters.
    But i got better and better run 5k and really enjoying my trainings. A few weeks ago i signed up for my first halfmarathon and belive me i had doubts too i never run 13.1 miles yet will i be abel to da that - but the answere is yes i will train as hard as i can for it and then i should be abel to finish the race.
    Of course from time to time there come some negative thoughts esp like a training wasn't as good as it was suposed to be but we have to belive in our selfs
    The race is mostly made in your head so stay positve belive in you

AND HELL YES SIGNE UP FOR THE RACE AND GET EXCITED
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I was exactly like that. 12 months ago I was contemplating not turning up for the 5 mile race I had entered. I was certain I wouldn't be able to do it. But I did do it. This year my attitude is "Meh! It's only 5 miles."

I started with C25K in April of last year. This year I'm training to do a marathon in October.

Running is 90% in your mind. If you think you can do it, you will do it.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Do you listen to music when running?

I find it really helps me to keep going for several reasons: a good beat is difficult not to move to!, it helps me to keep pace, I can't hear myself breath so I don't think i'm as exhausted as I sound, it stops boredom to name a few

I just completed 10k and I'm sure I could have done it without my music, but I wouldn't have done as well
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    SJL has a good point...when I first started running about 5 years ago, I started by running 1 song, then walking 2, then after a couple weeks running one song walking one song...its sometimes easier to keep track of then timing out minutes. (and it gets you running longer faster since an average song is anywhere from 3-6 minutes.)
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    Key: Don't run too fast. Aim for improving distance for 1st few months. Run at a comfortable pace so you won't get out-of-breath at all. And gradually increase the distance.

I used to hate running and thought I was the kind of person not suitable for running. I now found that's because I didn't know how to run right. (always tried to run faster than I could sustain and ended up going out-of-breath all the time)

I tried running again this year and started to learn how to run right. Running the right way turns me from hate to love. And my longest run is 11 miles now (when I can't even finish 1 mile 5 months ago). While I am not a fast runner yet, improving distance automatically improves my speed gradually.

Important: Running is not just put your shoes on and run. Along the way, you should learn how to equip, run and train correctly. Do it right, running would not be hard; do it wrong, running would be very difficult and injuries await you.

This is my experience for running these past months. cheers!
  • Jca67
    Jca67 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi,
    I was on w6 d1 but have not run for the last week as being under the weather. Sign up, you wont regret it. I ran my first timed 5k two weeks ago. I wasnt first but i wasnt last either. Everyone was so supportive, i ran walked the course and finished in 41 mins which was better than i thought it would be. But most of all it gave me a big confidence boost. Back at my training tomorrow as my glands are back down in my neck now. Do it honestly it well and truly gave me the running bug. x
  • ampjorgensen
    ampjorgensen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    OH i most defnitely use music. Weird as it sounds I use music that gets me going... I find myself listening to the radio and saying "DANG i can see myself running miles to this" and i listen to stuff from Country, to slow to fast. I try to set up my music to my run if i can so that my walking is calmer music as studies have shown it actually can alter the speed of your heart and things like that (yep i'm pulling out all teh stops haha)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    SO I have a few questions all you runners out there!

Anyways I look at this now as something that will only get harder and I ask myself will I actually be able to do this?

Anyways for those of you that have made it to that 5k mark and beyond did you feel like you would never get there!?

My goal is to run a 5k on my birthday and i have to sign up by July 12th for Color Me Rad to get the early bird fee.. and I keep second guessing myself. What if I'm not ready by then? what if I can't run it? what if I completely embarrass myself?

Did anyone else feel this way when starting out?

1) yup
    2) yup
    3) you will be
    4) so what
    5) have you NOT watched the videos of a color run? there is no way you will embarrass yourself. lol

it is a mind game and you will get there if you keep at it and do not let your mind win. i didn't think i could ever ever ever run a half marathon and i did. was it the best time? nope but i'm ready to sign up for my next so i can beat MY TIME, no one else's time not trying to come in first place i just want to beat my own personal time. that's what it's about. pushing yourself, competing with yourself proving to yourself you CAN do this!

the minute the temps here in VA went from 70 to 90 i nearly passed out while running and i went from running 4-5 miles to barely being able to finish 2! you'll get there and then you'll have set backs then you'll push yourself and go further and further and further. :)
  • knewbegin
    knewbegin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would definitely sign up! I have done the C25K several times and whenever I start from scratch I always feel like it is nearly impossible. If you feel like those "jumps" in the program are really tough, you can always repeat the week before moving on to the next so that your body feels ok with the mileage.

Keep in mind, you don't have to run the entire 5k race. You can always take walking breaks. I have no doubt you will finish just fine. Don't be worried about embarrassment- most runners are completely supportive and you can always feel great knowing at least you are out there challenging yourself and moving!

Good luck!
  • KatC_88
    KatC_88 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    SO I have a few questions all you runners out there!

First off I JUST finished C25k Week 4 day 1 and I have to say WTH? it was quite a big surprise how far it jumped up. My cousin who runs tons of Marathons tells me it is all a mind game, but I was SOOO not mentally prepared for that! Anyways I look at this now as something that will only get harder and I ask myself will I actually be able to do this?

Anyways for those of you that have made it to that 5k mark and beyond did you feel like you would never get there!?

My goal is to run a 5k on my birthday and i have to sign up by July 12th for Color Me Rad to get the early bird fee.. and I keep second guessing myself. What if I'm not ready by then? what if I can't run it? what if I completely embarrass myself?

Did anyone else feel this way when starting out?

I would sign up for sure! I just finished week 4 day 2 and the first day killed me! I had to take a 30 min break. Oddly enough day two was still hard but I ran right through it! You can do it! Just keep trying!!!
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Doubt gets us all. I started out with a similar program, the basic walk/run and as much as it sucked I just kept working at it. Eventually I noticed it got easier and then I ran my first 5K which was hard but awesome! Now I've run so many distance races I can't count them all and am going to run my 3rd marathon in October. Even though I do a ton of races I still doubt myself and my ability. Trust me when I say half way through this marathon I will question if I am capable of finishing but you know what, I will finish because in the back of my mind I know I CAN do this and so can you!
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love to run, in fact, a short run for me is a 5k! My usual runs are 5 miles, my longest distance was 8 miles. I didn't start that way though. I started off not being able to run a mile, just a short 6 months ago. I did P90X, and their "legs and back" routine was incredibly helpful. I would start adding weight routines that focus on your legs (and back as well, though that is less important. Your lower back is used a lot when running, however). That builds up strength in your legs really quick, and should help you immensely.

Another thing I do when I am super tired is pick out a spot in the distance (a streetlight, a crack in the road, whatever) and say "ok, I will run to that." Then when I get there, pick out a new spot and run to that one. Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    Hang in there. I started C25K in January and if you'd asked me then if I would be running a 10K in 6 months, I never would have believed you. I went from not being able to run for 3 minutes to running for 90 minutes on my long runs. After I finished C25K, I just ran a few miles 3-4 times a week for a couple months before I got serious about running. I went straight from 5K to 10K and I'm now training for a half marathon. Losing a lot of weight also helped :smile:
  • Lilyeana
    Lilyeana Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the C25k for 4 weeks now, haven't made it past week 2. what i have been doing tho is skipping every other walk cycle - so the first run is run 90 secs - run the 2 mins walk cycle - run 90 secs. then i walk the 2 mins. run the 90 secs walk 2 mins and then run 90 - run the 2 min walk - run the 90 sec - then walk.

I will eventually be brace enough to get to W3D1 soon.
  • Kerryiwya
    Kerryiwya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would get past many parts of the program, and restarted it more then once. Then a friend who runs marathons gave me some helpful tips. One of the big one's was investing in a heart monitor. So I bought a Garmin and started wearing it. I calculated my maximum heart rate and instead of stopping because I "thought" I was dying, I would only walk when I encroached upon my maximum target heart rate. Well to my surprise, when I thought I was dying was NO WHERE near the maximum. So I just kept checking that watch and running. Now I have learned how to control my heart rate on runs when it starts creeping up there I slow my gait a little and bring it back to my target zone, so I don't have to walk at all.

Also, having visuals in the beginning helped me as well. I liked running the same route in the beginning so I could look ahead and see the point I had to stop last time and fixate on a point beyond that to run to.

That being said I got through the program, have run 3 5K's, lost 88 lbs and am training for my first 1/2 marathon in October.

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had the same fears as you while preparing for my first half in April. I had run the course a couple of weeks before and had to stop 11 miles in due to cramps and general leg pain. I had to call for a ride back to my car because I just felt like I couldn't go any further. I freaked OUT! I had myself so paranoid by the time the race came around that I considered forfeiting my entry fee and staying home in bed. Needless to say, I finished, and faster than what I was aiming for!

There are a few things you need to remember about running/races:

1) Race situations are completely different than your training runs. You get out there and the adrenaline hits and you do things that you didn't think you COULD do. Trust yourself and your training.

2) Our mind gives up before our bodies do. If you're constantly thinking about whether or not you can complete that run, odds are you are going to stop before you have to. Just ENJOY it. Be proud that you are able to do it, and tune out that mechanical voice that tells you how far/long you have to jog this interval.

3) Most important: There is NO SHAME IN WALKING! If during a race you have to take a breather and walk a bit...do it. You'll feel better after, and you'll be able to sprint that last little bit that will make you feel amazing. You'll be shocked at the number of power walkers that sign up for 5Ks and don't run an inch of it.

You ARE amazing, and you will DO amazing things! Just believe in yourself and let your body do the running, not your mind.
  • classictoaster
    Options
    The first time I tried C25K, I was astounded at the jump between W3 and W4. I actually quit because I couldn't handle it. The second time, I prepared myself mentally for the hurdle, but it was still difficult. One of the things I realized I was doing was running too fast, or at least starting too fast - slow way, way down, focus on making the time rather than sprinting to the finish. You can work on speed once you build endurance. (: Once I started slowing down my pace, the runs got easier for me. I finished the program last summer, and even though I don't run quite as consistently anymore, I can still go out and run 2-3 miles on a given day.

C25K is a great program - I really recommend joining the group dedicated to it! - and it's a great way to ease into running. Just get that game face on and don't give up!! You can do it!!
  • classictoaster
    Options
    EDIT: Oops, double post.
  • walzon
    walzon Posts: 5
    Options
    try training more than a 5K everyday until 5K is just a benchmark in your workouts. I used to run 5Ks for my workouts and I couldn't get faster, so I started increasing mileage until running a 5K was about 2/3rds of my workouts. Next time I run a 5K, I have confidence I can finish and I am comfortable being uncomfortable
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    We all walk befre we run sign up for those races and you will be suprised at how well you will do I still cant run a whole race i do a little running and a little running and you know what you wont be alone there will be others that are at your fitness level and some that are even below it. It is a mind game I can psyche myself into thinking I can not in any way finish a race in fact I'm doing that right now , Warrior Dash is looming over my head this coming saturday and I haven't done much training well actually I havent done anything!!!!! You can do It!!!