Blaming individuals for obesity may be altogether wrong...

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    So did everyone just become lazy in 1980? Please tell me more! You alone can solve the problem of obesity curing people of their laziness!!! O_O

I'm not saying that people suddenly became lazy, or even that they are lazy, but LIFE has gotten steadily easier over the past few generations.

My family didn't have a microwave or dishwasher in 1980. I was the last of my parents six kids, born in 1972, and was the only one to have used disposable diapers. For their first few kids, they didn't even have a washing machine, but a ringer washer. Until 1977, my parents had one car, so if Dad was at work and Mom wanted to go somewhere, she walked, even if it was just a couple blocks to the bus stop. I think we got an Atari around 1982... before that, if we were playing it was outside and active, climbing trees, riding bikes, etc.

I also think the diet industry, and all the really dumb fads and bad advice along with it, contributes to obesity.
    in 1980, we also didn't have ROWS of fast food options, one after another, everywhere we went in the car (at least not where I live). These days, its altogether too easy to grab an inexpensive and unhealthy "convenience meal" on your way home, to or from anyplace you have to go....

In to hear about how McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Twinkies, sodas, etc. didn't exist prior to 1980.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    So did everyone just become lazy in 1980? Please tell me more! You alone can solve the problem of obesity curing people of their laziness!!! O_O

I'm not saying that people suddenly became lazy, or even that they are lazy, but LIFE has gotten steadily easier over the past few generations.

My family didn't have a microwave or dishwasher in 1980. I was the last of my parents six kids, born in 1972, and was the only one to have used disposable diapers. For their first few kids, they didn't even have a washing machine, but a ringer washer. Until 1977, my parents had one car, so if Dad was at work and Mom wanted to go somewhere, she walked, even if it was just a couple blocks to the bus stop. I think we got an Atari around 1982... before that, if we were playing it was outside and active, climbing trees, riding bikes, etc.

I also think the diet industry, and all the really dumb fads and bad advice along with it, contributes to obesity.
    in 1980, we also didn't have ROWS of fast food options, one after another, everywhere we went in the car (at least not where I live). These days, its altogether too easy to grab an inexpensive and unhealthy "convenience meal" on your way home, to or from anyplace you have to go....

In to hear about how McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Twinkies, sodas, etc. didn't exist prior to 1980.

In to hear how their food magically appeared in your mouth without any help from you.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying we didn't have them....just that they weren't stacked on top of each other everywhere we went, and I don't think there were the cheapie "dollar menus" that are around today. I was agreeing with the poster who said "LIFE has gotten steadily easier over the past few generations"

For the record, I believe people are responsible for the consequences of their own lifestyle choices and in many (not ALL...before I get flamed for that one) cases, for the resulting increase in obesity in this country.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Well FWIW there are about 4 times as many McDonald's restaurants now as there were in 1980, and the average caloric value of its menu has increased threefold.

Adjusting for inflation, about the same amount of money you'd spend in 1965 to get a 250-calorie hamburger will get you a 440-calorie double cheeseburger.

On top of that, the smallest size fries you can get with a combo today is the 380-calorie medium.

High-calorie food is getting cheaper and easier to obtain. Also, in 1980 there were about 710 cars per 1000 people. Today there are 830.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying we didn't have them....just that they weren't stacked on top of each other everywhere we went, and I don't think there were the cheapie "dollar menus" that are around today. I was agreeing with the poster who said "LIFE has gotten steadily easier over the past few generations"

For the record, I believe people are responsible for the consequences of their own lifestyle choices and in many (not ALL...before I get flamed for that one) cases, for the resulting increase in obesity in this country.

That's a nice way of blunting the truth that people have gotten steadily lazier over the past few generations. I'd also say a heck of a lot more full of excuses. And yet, that is okay, because, you know, we just can't help ourselves . . . it's sooo hard . . .
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I didn't get much out of that article, except that all the animals that depend upon humans for food (i.e. lab rats, chimps, and cats, dogs, etc.) are getting fatter, too. Seems that the foods we're feeding ourselves and our dependents are making us fatter.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Well FWIW there are about 4 times as many McDonald's restaurants now as there were in 1980, and the average caloric value of its menu has increased threefold.

Adjusting for inflation, about the same amount of money you'd spend in 1965 to get a 250-calorie hamburger will get you a 440-calorie double cheeseburger.

On top of that, the smallest size fries you can get with a combo today is the 380-calorie medium.

High-calorie food is getting cheaper and easier to obtain. Also, in 1980 there were about 710 cars per 1000 people. Today there are 830.

I missed the part where someone was shoving high calorie convenience food down your throat.

Oh wait, it isn't there to begin with.

Increased palatability and overabundance of easily accessible food is a poor excuse for lack of concern about one's health and blatant ignorance about nutrition. We are in the internet age now, you know?
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options

I agree!! Seems like technology and food has made things way more convenient for us today...their finding ways to cook everything fast.....all those things make it easier to be lazy....they are convenient so people do it because its easy....less effort....bottom line...NO ONE controls you but YOU....its your choice....(just my opinion)
  • jonnythan
    Options

I missed the part where someone was shoving high calorie convenience food down your throat.

Increased palatability and overabundance of easily accessible food is a poor excuse for lack of concern about one's health and blatant ignorance about nutrition. We are in the internet age now, you know?

You're reading a lot into my post that simply isn't there. Perhaps you should reread my first post in this thread:
    Societal and economic factors can shift the pressure on an individual, but cannot absolve him or her of personal responsibility.

I was fat, and it wasn't anyone's fault but mine.

Personal responsibility is key, but from a public health perspective it's important to examine and understand the societal and economic changes that have resulted in so many more people being obese now than in the past.

We can't deny that it has become easier and cheaper to overeat. That's the reality. The easier and cheaper it becomes to overeat, the more people will overeat. That doesn't change any single person's responsibility to themselves not to overeat, but that is how it works.

It's not that McDonald's didn't exist in 1980; it's that it's now easier, cheaper, and more convenient to get a lot of calories at McDonald's than it was in 1980.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

That's a nice way of blunting the truth that people have gotten steadily lazier over the past few generations. I'd also say a heck of a lot more full of excuses. And yet, that is okay, because, you know, we just can't help ourselves . . . it's sooo hard . . .
    of course it is....people ARE lazier, and have excuses for everything!

We see it all the time on this site....every other post is about “öh, Ï have a desk job”, "I work full time and don't have TIME to exercise, because I’m SO much busier than everyone else", “Ï have kids to take care of, so its too hard to do anything", “I can’t afford a gym”, ëating healthy is too expensive….the list of excuses goes on and on. Not to mention the ‘quick fix’ diet scams everywhere you look that people are falling for…(sprinkle Sensa your food and you’ll magically lose the weight without changing your diet) and people get weight loss surgery (I saw a commercial last week for a new laser process that promised it will ‘melt the fat away’) . Now obesity is being classified as a disease. Society (and television) continues to tell people its not their fault..instead of saying “get off "the couch, put down the supersized double cheeseburger and get out and move your @ss for a change”. Its really sad!!

Here's just one example of the charade...

215409702.jpg
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Bump to read the comments later. I read the article and well.....LOL! :laugh:
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options

THIS
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    People need to take responsibility for themselves. We all know better and have the ability to put the fork down. Me gaining weight is no one else's fault but mine and I'm the only one who can fix it.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

You're reading a lot into my post that simply isn't there. Perhaps you should reread my first post in this thread:
    Societal and economic factors can shift the pressure on an individual, but cannot absolve him or her of personal responsibility.

I was fat, and it wasn't anyone's fault but mine.

Personal responsibility is key, but from a public health perspective it's important to examine and understand the societal and economic changes that have resulted in so many more people being obese now than in the past.

We can't deny that it has become easier and cheaper to overeat. That's the reality. The easier and cheaper it becomes to overeat, the more people will overeat. That doesn't change any single person's responsibility to themselves not to overeat, but that is how it works.

It's not that McDonald's didn't exist in 1980; it's that it's now easier, cheaper, and more convenient to get a lot of calories at McDonald's than it was in 1980.

I did read your initial post in this thread. Societal and economic factors do shift pressure, but like you mentioned, don't absolve him or her of personal responsibility.

While I only quoted the comments leading up to yours and BeachIron's most recent posts and used the phrase "your throat", my comments were really in response to all the attempts to justify obesity because of environmental factors. Yes, a person's environment may make things more difficult, but still doesn't eliminate the fact that your overall health in relation to nutrition is strictly your decision.

I would disagree with the cheapness of fast food... cheaper than it was in the past, probably, cheaper than cooking their own meals, doubtful. But people just "don't have time" anymore apparently.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Unless lard starts coming out of the taps, every one has an individual responsibility to regulate their weight and health.
  • obeseandsassy
    Options
    I'll never stop thinking it's utterly hilarious that people are so convinced that 'obesity is a choice!' and 'eat less exercise more, the weight will come off!' is valid. i'm also convinced that most people who think this way have never dealt with being fat (not chubby or a couple extra pounds, i mean FAT.)

the stigma and shame that most fat people face EVERY single day, the constant way they're made to feel inadequate or lesser, lazy and unattractive, a nonstop barrage of negativity thrown there way, is something that most fat people would 'choose' to end if they could.

If it was JUST that easy, there'd be a lot less fat people. I think it's pretty sad that people want to chalk it up to 'laziness' and 'poor choices' --if that's the case, you must have an awfully negative view of the human race--because there's a lot of fat people out there.

i've got a whole arsenal of links, facts and research, but i'll just stick with these two links entitled 'uncommon knowledge about changes in body weight.'

http://healthateverysizeblog.org/2012/05/01/uncommon-knowledge-about-changes-in-body-weight-part-1/

http://healthateverysizeblog.org/2012/05/15/the-haes-files-uncommon-knowledge-about-changes-in-body-weight-part-2/
  • Merrm
    Merrm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A child can't chose to be fat or skinny. When and what they eat is very instinctual. What I'm getting from this article (and I havn't finished it it yet, it's quite long) is that obesity is up because of these unhealthy chemicals and from the rise of mcdonalds. But a kid doesn't think about what's healthy or good for them, they eat what their parents feed them. Maybe that's what happened around the 1980's? It caught up with us? I don't know!

As an adult it is your responsibility to take care of yourself, even though it might not be your fault you got this way (trust me, I know it's hard!). And as a parent, it is your job to teach your kids not only healthy food choices, but healthy portion sizes too.

This article wasn't written to give you guys someone else to blame, it was more of a warning (to me at least), that if things keep going this way our children will only have us to blame for their obesity.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I'll never stop thinking it's utterly hilarious that people are so convinced that 'obesity is a choice!' and 'eat less exercise more, the weight will come off!' is valid.

It is valid. Thanks for playing.
    If it was JUST that easy, there'd be a lot less fat people.

Who said it was easy? It's not easy. It's SIMPLE, but it sure ain't easy.
    i've got a whole arsenal of links, facts and research, but i'll just stick with these two links entitled 'uncommon knowledge about changes in body weight.'

http://healthateverysizeblog.org/2012/05/01/uncommon-knowledge-about-changes-in-body-weight-part-1/

http://healthateverysizeblog.org/2012/05/15/the-haes-files-uncommon-knowledge-about-changes-in-body-weight-part-2/

Maybe you should post some facts and research instead of blog entries, then.
  • obeseandsassy
    Options
    I'll never stop thinking it's utterly hilarious that people are so convinced that 'obesity is a choice!' and 'eat less exercise more, the weight will come off!' is valid.

maybe you could actually click the bottom of the post where all the references are clearly listed for you. like the 61 references in part 1 alone.

man, and they say fat people are the lazy ones.
  • jonnythan
    Options

maybe you could actually click the bottom of the post where all the references are clearly listed for you. like the 61 references in part 1 alone.

man, and they say fat people are the lazy ones.

I'm not interested in going to some fat acceptance blog and hunt around for research that may support your claims just because you're unwilling to support your own.

If you have "research" and "facts" that invalidate the idea that you lose weight by eating less and exercising more, then post it. And then you can spend an hour looking around on MFP to see all of the people it works for.