Coconut Oil Good/Bad?

Options
13»

Replies

• arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been using coconut oil in all my food preparations I definitely see all the benefits and absolutely love it my tummy is flat I've lost weight my energy levels have increased my cholesterol has lowered the list goes on but all in all it is nutritional
    and beneficial -- You need healthy fats to break down stored unhealthy fats.

Coconut fats have special fats called medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). It has been shown that breaking down these types of healthy fats in the liver leads to efficient burning of energy. Consuming (about 2 tablespoons) of coconut oil daily for 12 weeks you do not gain more weight, but actually had lowered amounts of abdominal fat, a type of fat that is difficult to lose which contributes to heart problems etc.

Here are some benefits of coconut oil;

Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease 
    Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects 
    against heart disease 
    Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay 
    Functions as a protective antioxidant 
    Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease 
    Does not deplete the body's antioxidant reserves like other oils do 
    Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation 
    Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome 
    Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement) 
    Reduces epileptic seizures 
    Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections. 
    Dissolves kidney stones 
    Helps prevent liver disease 
    Is lower in calories than all other fats 
    Supports thyroid function 
    Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate 
    It Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats 
    Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems 
    Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection 
    Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis 
    Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin. Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking 
    Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots 
    Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion 
    Provides protection form damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation form the sun 
    Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses 
    Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases 
    Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candida, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections 
    Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites 
    Provides a nutritional source of quick energy 
    Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance 
    Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, amino acids 
    Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose 
    Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body 
    Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis 
    Helps relieves symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes 
    Reduces problems associated with mal-absorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis 
    Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth. 
    Helps protect against osteoporosis 
    Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease 
    Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers 
    Improves digestion and bowel function 
    Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids 
    Reduces inflammation 
    Supports tissue healing and repair 
    Supports and aids immune system function 
    Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers 

Hope this helps :) ... If you need more info let me know!
    Thank you so much! I Love it and will continue using it in moderation. I was baking with it too instead of using vegtable oil.
    Thank you everyone for all the responses. I like the way it makes me feel too. I notice my nails skin and hair are better as well as I feel good. I use it to cook eggs. stir fry and so on.
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use it twice a day to moisturise my face, my skin has never been clearer!

Wow really I would think it would make you break out>!!
  • bzign
    bzign Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly question, but what is the proper way to use these oils on your hair? I have very dry, brittle type hair naturally and I tried the coconut oil. I was told to heat it a bit and rub into hair not getting on the scalp (which is pretty dang near impossible to do). It left my hair so extremely oily & I hated the texture! I've used mayonnaise before & actually love the texture it leaves my hair but ugh so messy! Thanks :)

I put it through my hair like a hot oil treatment, melt it a little then spread it through your hair until its coated, leave for 15 - 20 mins, I sometimes use a hair dryer as well - Shampoo scalp and then condition as per usual. Makes my frizzy curls manageable.

Also mix into a paste with salt or sugar and rub it all over my body (not face with the scratchy sugar) pre shower, rinse off with water and pat dry, makes your skin extra soft.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I love my coconut oil. I use it on my face in place of lotion at nights and on days I don't need a spf facter (like if I'm just hanging in the house. I had really itchy spots on my hips from dry weather in the winter and rubbed coconut oil on it and it went away and didn't itch any more. It actually makes your skin feel really good and doesn't make you break out. We also use it in the bedroom - its great for massages and edible! My husband loves the smell of it better than any other lotion I use. I buy one jar and I scoop out what I want to use for skin and keep it in another container so I'm not contaminating the jar I cook with and I use it in my green tea and coffee too.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It's good for you, but make sure it's virgin coconut oil. Otherwise it could contain trans fats.