Face goes red when working out , gym confidence advice?

Options

Replies

• mssmssy
    mssmssy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there were so many of us splotchy red-faced gym rats out there! haha! I have actually had people stop me and ask if I am ok. Grrrrr..... Yes. I'm fine. I'm just a very pale person who happens to turn into a sweaty lobster when exercising.
  • 1fitchick00
    1fitchick00 Posts: 155
    Options
    I turn super red when I go to the gym too. But seriously, own that s***. That means you are busting your butt and getting in a fantastic workout. Be PROUD of it. And just be thankful you don't sweat like a pig and stink.....I would say turning red is way better :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I turn super red when I go to the gym too. But seriously, own that s***. That means you are busting your butt and getting in a fantastic workout. Be PROUD of it. And just be thankful you don't sweat like a pig and stink.....I would say turning red is way better :)

Gee thanks. I can't help sweating any more than I can help turning red.
  • Winston1717
    Winston1717 Posts: 184
    Options
    I guess you can feel a bit self concious but why waste the energy. Focus on what you have to do and how fantastic you will look when you reach your goals. I just focus on what I have to do to make myself physically better...if someone doesn't like the way I look...that's their problem....go kick *kitten* and don't worry about it!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    put on hulk face and instead of shouting GREEN shout REDD.

Seriously though, I know someone who use to get really really red in the face. And I'm not talking a healthy glow. He ended up having a heart attack. It makes me wonder if it's related to blood flo in certain parts of the body. If the reddening of your face is accompanied by other symptoms, or if you feel that it indicates a problem, consult your physician. Under normal circumstances, it just means your over heated. And that's going to be expected with exercise, particularly if you're fair skinned. I'm a fair skinned red head. I get the same what is wrong with your face comments. I'm hoping there's nothing wrong with us lol.
  • Winston1717
    Winston1717 Posts: 184
    Options
    put on hulk face and instead of shouting GREEN shout REDD

Tried that...got arrested
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My husband likes my workout "glow". He calls it my JBF look - like I've Just Been F***ed! This makes me smile when I think about it - so I don't care what anyone else thinks! Besides, even if you were at your goal weight & looked super-hot those certain people would find something mean to think about/say. F them!
  • hassan26
    hassan26 Posts: 37
    Options
    just shows your working your butt off
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I hate the girls who look ready for a fitness fashion photo session! Ready if you aren't there to sweet and work hard it is pointless.

I get red myself I just let it go when I get really really hot I will take a bathroom break and wash my face to try to cool down a bit.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I hate the girls who look ready for a fitness fashion photo session! Ready if you aren't there to sweet and work hard it is pointless.

I get red myself I just let it go when I get really really hot I will take a bathroom break and wash my face to try to cool down a bit.

The fact someone doesn't turn red or sweat doesn't necessarily mean they aren't working. Some of the fittest, kick *kitten* people I know look like they could be on the cover of a fitness magazine and they are working harder than I do. It's just an individual thing.
    (I do secretly curse them for it but I know they are working).
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    put on hulk face and instead of shouting GREEN shout REDD.
    Dude. Hulk doesn't shout "GREEN". :grumble:
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Lol I feel you! I go red, AND sweat by the bucket even when I work out at a moderate level. And then everyone's like, whoa you are some gym-rat. No I'm not, I just sweat more than you! :noway:
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I get red - I don't care what others think, but am bothered by the sensation of overheating. So, sometimes, my cardio workouts are determined by which machines are nearest the vents/fans :)
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Get a t-shirt and print this on it or go get this t-shirt made:

You wish you could work this hard
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I sweat a rediculous amount when I work out, to the point where I run the risk of splattering the area around me when I move. After my exercises, I clean up the area around me and rather than being self conscious of looking like I just stepped out of the shower, only dirty and smelly, I take pride in the fact that I worked hard enough to necessitate this clean up. If your glow bright red, take it as a badge of honor that you worked out hard enough to get that way.
  • janestoaster
    janestoaster Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Get a t-shirt and print this on it or go get this t-shirt made:

You wish you could work this hard

This is brill!
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    put your ipod on some good workout music and go beast mode and go H.A.M and you will be so focused you will not notice anyone except you want to destroy those weights people will probably look at you and say damn she is doing work.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Its the increased blood flow close to the surface of the skin, it should be happening, Its quite natural its your body trying to cool itself down when it comes with sweat also.

I laugh when i leave an *kitten* sweat spot on a chair after i get up from a good work out (ofcourse I wipe it up, but its funny!)

Sweating more also shows you have a more efficient cooling system, one of the instructors absolutely covers the floor, and to be honest im catching up =/
  • BethanBee86
    BethanBee86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the comments :smile:

Taken a lot of things on board and really determined to work out and not care how I look :blushing:

I normally go when it's quiet but as I know it will be busier ( my gym has chart online when busy times)

I'm defo going to take headphones and think Sod it just hoping my nerves hold up as I'm at the stage of the start of getting fit so still in gross stage . :cry:
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This happens to my son and when he was playing football he would get benched all the time because the coach thought he was overstraining himself. I finally had to explain to him some people have blood vessels closer to their skin and it happens- this the explanation given to me by his doctor.