Anyone had Vertical Gastric Sleeve surgery?

Options

Replies

• AskBelieveRecieve
    Options
    I'm a VSGer too! June of this year...tomorrow makes 4 months post op for me
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am going through the bariatric program right now. I have had my first appts with the social worker, dietician and nurse and since that appointment ive lost 30lbs on my own through major overhaul to my lifestyle and lots of excericse. I am hoping that the surgeon will approve me for the sleeve but if not i will decide whether i will go for bypass at that point. Love to learn from all of you the ins and outs of the sleeve.
  • willibear
    Options
    I am scheduled to go though with my vsg on the 23 of this month. My wife is also, on the 12th of Nov. I am having a hard time right now just losing the 5% he asked me to do. Not really a hard time, but I wish it was coming off faster. Please add me if you like.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I had it over a year ago. Still doing great....be doing better if I could keep my hands off the sugar. :)
  • Cindym19
    Options
    Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since my surgery. Today I get to eat real, not mushed food. I'm only getting in about 600 calories - Lost a total 27 pounds so far - pre and post surgery! I'm grateful for myfitnesspal.com - it helps keep track of protein!!
  • Cindym19
    Options
    you have to remember that your body is recognizing the fact that you aren't giving it the food it needs - so it may be going into starvation mode.....it'll get better. Keep up with the protein and less carbs - you'll do great!!
  • Cindym19
    Options
    I'm having difficulty eating today - can't really eat anything - I've only had 12 grams of protein so far and its almost 3pm....help!! any suggestions??
  • willibear
    Options
    they say that you have to just take it easy and try to get it all in. I am not sure what else to day aobut it. I have my surgery on Tuesday this week at 8:30a.m.. I am so excited, I have lost 15 lbs over the last 3 weeks so far, and 36 totally.
  • willibear
    Options
    i do have a question, what is it like the day of and the next few days after the surgery, are the very rough, or okay? I have heard both sides of it, just trying to get a feel.
  • SandyJordan012
    Options
    I love the sound
  • JoyceMarek
    Options
    I had the sleeve done on 10/8 and am VERY excited about it. I went through a six-month program before getting the surgery and I believe it's the best decision I ever made. The time spent prior to surgery relearning to eat right was time well spent. I think it's helping me make better decisions post surgery and therefore making it much easier. I was back at work after 1 week and it only took that long 'cuz they repaired 3 hernias also. From my heaviest weight I've lost 48 pounds so far. Only 100 to go! Congrats on your decision and good luck!
  • blsdhands
    blsdhands Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is great! I was "sleveed" on 3/25/2008 -- this is my 4th year celebrating the best decision I ever made!!!

For those who are waiting to have the surgery -- worry, nervousness, questions etc are normal but know that when you wake up the morning after surgery you will have made one of the best life-changing and life-saving decisions ever.

For those who are post-surgery -- especially those who are less than a year out -- please PLEASE take heed to the recommendations of your nutritionist. This is a TOOL -- not a CURE! This tool will help you to lost weight like never before but you must use the tool correctly to experience the desired results. Can a person have the sleeve and be in worse physical shape than before surgery -- YES!!! I could never imagine it for myself, but I know how it can happen - continued bad choices. Use the time when you can't imagine eating sweets, fried foods, etc. to learn how to eat healthy. Learn new ways to cook and better yet ways to enjoy life not focused on food.

Feel free to add me if you want to have someone who has been on this road for 4 years. I am headed out for a morning run - something I NEVER EVER EVER imagined 4 years ago or even a year ago and just started last month. (Running in my first 5K in 2 weeks and my first TriAthalon in February)
  • will_do88
    Options
    trying to find away to get this surgery my insurance doesnt want to pay
  • mamaward64
    mamaward64 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am in pre bariatric program right now and could use like minded support. I don't know if I wants the sleeve or the pouch. :brokenheart:
  • britneelin
    Options
    I'm a sleever too! :) I had mine done on 10/10. Have lost a total of 30 pounds in the last 5 weeks. Feel free to add me! I could sure use the support. <3
  • carolyn1972
    carolyn1972 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all! im a sleever too, had my op in May 2011, i have lost 6 stone so far, it was a couple of pounds off 7 stone but i have lost control & gained weight.i need to loose about 35lbs to get to my target of 10 stone. i am trying to regain control of my eating habits once again as i do not want to gain anymore weight! been good for the last 2 days so hopefully ive cracked it! please add me as a friend as i need all the help i can get lol!!!
  • dkellly
    dkellly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sleeved on Nov 19th :-) :-) :-) Glad the holiday's are over LOL
  • CorpusKristi
    CorpusKristi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of trying to get gastric sleeve surgery. Next week I have to do the endoscopy to rule out hiatal hernia and then have my pysch evaluation in the afternoon. Least don't have to do the 3 month or 6 month supervised diet. Hopefully will have my surgery in July.
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I hope you can avoid going through weight loss surgery. Nearly everyone I know that went through it wishes they hadn't due to the long term digestive and other health complications.

You might want to check out this forum:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=gastric+sleeve+complications&ei=UTF-8&fr=chrf-comodo
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I sincerely hope you change your mind about getting weight loss surgery. Nearly everyone I know that went that route ended up having WAY more problems with digestion and other health issues than the doctor told them to expect, and most wish they had never gone through with the surgery. Weight loss surgery is a big money maker, and it is in the doctor's best financial interest to downplay the possibility of dangers from the surgery itself, as well as the likelihood of patients having long term complications they might not be willing to endure.

You can read some experiences with complications people had after surgery on this forum:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/forum/48-gastric-sleeve-surgery-vsg-complications-support-group/

Have you tried any eating plans that focus on eating mostly fresh, organic foods? That seems to work well for many people, as the chemicals used to preserve food tends to make some people hold onto weight.